dorough

NVR with two network ports... what the heck??

I've had my NVR-EL-16 (Dahua from Security Camera King) for seven months now and still have not figured out the correct wiring for networking. I've attached an image to show how it's currently setup.

Basically, there are two network ports on the NVR. One of them I have connected to my router (IP gateway) and configured with my static IP info in the menu. The other connects to my 16 channel POE switch, which in turn connects to my cameras. It's configured with the switch's info in the menu (it's a 10.1.10.1 system.)

Problem I'm having: In the NVR menu, I can select only one of the two networks as "Primary." If I select the one connected to the POE switch, I naturally get my cameras online and viewable from my cell phone. If I select the one connected to the IP gateway, I lose the cameras but I am able to successfully make the NVR send out SMS alerts to my cell phone. I need both. I'm not sure why this NVR has two network ports anyway.

I'm quite confused and really need both my cameras online and the ability to send out text alerts when an alarm is triggered. Anyone have any input before I jump off a cliff?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

717155189_NVRSetup-NewPage.thumb.jpg.5067e223e78b3e1dd46a7d8b11e93ecb.jpg

Just hook the Comcast gateway to the 16 port switch and that should be that. Leave the 2nd port on the NVR empty, it is probably a management or troubleshooting port.

Just hook the Comcast gateway to the 16 port switch and that should be that. Leave the 2nd port on the NVR empty, it is probably a management or troubleshooting port.

What info should I put into the Primary Network menu?

Most probably the 2 ports that you see on the back of the NVR are not the same.

As dorough said it maybe a management ethernet port or it can be many different thing.

But remember only one of the ports is what you want not both!

You have to refer to the NVR manual to see which is which.

What info should I put into the Primary Network menu?

Please post a screen shot of this menu, I am not sure what they are looking for and don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

Yes, that was me. I had tried everything we talked about including what was in the tutorial that you posted. But obviously I must've done something wrong. Months went by and I didn't mess with now. Now, I need to get back on it and get it all corrected. I'll take the current info & refer back to the video and try to get it going again. Thanks for being a great help here!

Hmm one Hikvision model also have two Lan ports (64 ch one), and this is how the manual explained them. Basically its two NIC and you can choose how the bandwidth gets managed based on the mode you select. Most people select 1 for the router and 2 for the switch, just like in your picture.

2058652790_Hikvision2lan.thumb.JPG.7f58c69c42b1c67d54c4af6a26a2c524.JPG

That will work, I just imagine the two ports as one port and connect it as I would connect a NVR with one lan port. Another way is to connect both LAN ports on the NVR to the switch and then the upload from the switch would go to the router (would save you a extra port on the router). But like its still just theory as not much people have tested this out.

This maybe an older post but I have a similar DVR and also trying to set it up.

What is your IP scheme?

My suggestion is have NIC 1 with a static IP (10.x.x.x I think you said) connected to your Internet provider and have NIC 2 addressed like your cameras at 192.168.1.x. Connect Nic 2 to your POE switch and connect the cameras to it. No need to put a gateway

or DNS since NIC 2 and the cameras are on the same wire.

All traffic from the cameras will be isolated to that port which is a good thing but your

will need the DVR to access the video from them.