Stef1

What Category of cable to use ?

Hello,

I am looking to install a small camera network around my home.

I have 5 dahua 4300 Camera's and am going to get NVR5208-p to hook everything to.

Now the furthest one of the camera's will be is about 45m.

I've been looking on the forum on what the best cable is to use but can find a lot about 5e and 6, but now with 6a and 7.

What would be the best cable be to get, I don't see much of a price difference so that's not a problem, I see that for the cat7 there are different connectors needed and they are still expensive/scarce so would the Cat 6a be my best bet ?

Thanks for your help.

Cat5e is all you need for any camera on the market right now. They don't required anything bigger or better. I guess for the sake of higher quality and longevity you could go with Cat6, but it's not required.

The one big advantage for CAT-6 vs. CAT5e is that it is one gauge of wire larger so you can carry power a bit more efficiently as the runs get longer, but Don Stephens is correct that 5e is perfectly fine for everything right now as long as your runs as within the spec (under 300 feet).

OK just one more hurdle, what is the best kind of wire to use FTP or SFTP wire ?

FTP is a foil shielding in the cable jacket, SFTP is where each pair is shielded individually. Honestly you don't need either of those unless you are going to be running these wires extremely close to power lines. I would just get UTP and call it a day. UTP = unshielded twisted pair.

The other considerations would be if you have long portions of the run that will be vertical (more than 50 feet), you may want to consider riser rated (CMR) wire, actually most stuff is CMR rated, but if you see CM rated that is the lowest level. I would also make sure you get solid wire not stranded. Stranded wire is only really used for short patch cords where a lot of flexibility is required and it is a bit of a pain to terminate compared to solid wire.