Store Thirty Three

Help on advice for height of cctv cams

Good Morning,

I want to fit the following camera in a shop I am opening, INS-400DV-HW. I am primarily fitting this cam in order to gain facial recognition to deter shoplifters, however the contractor wants to fit the camera to the ceiling which is 2.4 m high, my concern is that this would give to much of a plan view of the shop and not be able to catch faces. How would this particular model of dome cam be if mounted lower on a walls around the shop?

And if anyone has any experience or knows of any reviews of this camera, that would be greatly appreciated. to fit 3 cams and an external entry door cam I have been quoted £2000 with the DVR, 1080p monitor and fitting.

That is not quite 8 feet... I see no reason at all not to use that mounting height. You will get good detail and should have clear sight lines for most things. I would not be concerned until you get over 12 feet (3.65 meters). If you are concerned ask him to show you a few sample images first, but in my experience that will be a great height to work from and it will also save you labor time as he is running less cable and making fewer holes.

you mount the camera high/low enough to capture the target and max. the detail needed. "If" the contractor wants pics of hats..........have him put it in writing. I'd NEVER allow a contractor to tell me where cams should be mounted, especially if the locations and targets are discussed on BEFORE the install starts.

I am NOT worried about damage or vandalism since the cams are vandal proof and are installed at that height for a good reason.

There is NO bad height as long as your requirement is met.

ps. most bad installs are due to pure lazyness!

There is NO bad height as long as your requirement is met.

This is true, but in general terms the height he mentioned is a good general purpose height. Of course you need to understand what is being seen, and if there is something specific to be aware of. I would hope that installer asked those questions, or the owner was at least wise enough to state what he was looking for in terms of a picture.

It's not so much the height as the purpose. A camera mounted to the ceiling is great for an overview of that is going on but you may want close-up cameras at entrances so you can ID the person as they enter/leave the store. These should be mounted low, about eye height to capture their faces as best you can and do so with good WDR so you don't get shadows from the brim of a hat.

If a close-up camera is too obtrusive, you can use covert cameras like what is used in ATM's where very little shows, maybe 1/4" tip of a lens.

I have seen several grocery stores lately that have the two sets of double doors (one from the parking lot, then a little lobby, then the second door into the store) and they have been mounting a camera at about 5 or 6 feet high looking at the store exit door. This prevents most weird backlighting issues and you pretty much never need WDR since it is looking inside not outside. Combine that with the natural light from outside and the overhead light fixtures in the lobby area should generally provide fantastic conditions for positive identification.