SB_Jim

Viewing IP Cam W/O NVR (While still connected to NVR)

Howdy,

I'm sure there are nine great posts on this, but my quick search didn't reveal exactly what I'm looking for. I own the Swann NVR. I have all cams connected via NVR, and view frequently via mobile app.

My question is - If I know the address of each cam, can I access a cam via a browser or Safari on my iPhone while the cam is still connected to the POE in the NVR? Would I not enter something like http://192.xxx.x.x:port# ?

If not, would I need to bypass the connection to the NVR and simply connect the cam directly to my router?

Thx much,

Jim

Try to ping the individual camera and then from a pc on the same side of the router as the camera and then see if you can get an image on a browser. The POE should have nothing to do with the ability to view it.

Howdy,

I'm sure there are nine great posts on this, but my quick search didn't reveal exactly what I'm looking for. I own the Swann NVR. I have all cams connected via NVR, and view frequently via mobile app.

My question is - If I know the address of each cam, can I access a cam via a browser or Safari on my iPhone while the cam is still connected to the POE in the NVR? Would I not enter something like http://192.xxx.x.x:port# ?

If not, would I need to bypass the connection to the NVR and simply connect the cam directly to my router?

Thx much,

Jim

I don't know about the Swann NVR but most have their own built-in switch that looks something like 10.x.x.x. In that scenario, you probably can't ping or get to any of the camera's directly. You might have to tell the built-in switch to use the 192.168.1.x subnet. Be warned though, this might cause the camera's to overwhelm your network.

The way most people get direct access to camera's attached to the NVR is by plugging in a network cable directly into one of the ports on the back of the NVR and the other end on the computer. This will allow the computer to get an IP from the NVR's switch.

That being said, I don't know if you can view the camera's on your iphone. Most of the IP camera's I've come across install a web component necessary for viewing. I don't know if the web component will work in a mobile browser. You will be better off using an APP to achieve the same goal.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps I should have titled this post REMOTE viewing of IP w/o nvr. I do currently have the ability to connect to individual cams while I'm on the same subnet and am connected to the NVR by my laptop.

What I'd like to do is reach a camera (and the camera's own menu) - using my iPhone. I do use a mobile app to access the cams - and it works fine. However, I'd love to be able to access the camera menu by remote. Currently my mobile app only allows me to change frame rate, resolution, and bit rate.

Jim