jordanethe

Help needed wiring an outdoor dome camera

I'm trying to replace a faulty outdoor IR dome camera from previous homeowner. The attached photo is what I see coming out from the wall. Can anyone please help me make sense of what's there and how I can attach a new camera?

Thanks very much.

Jordan

1896781370_wiringphoto.thumb.jpg.cb36fb3c2431a63a64b4f4cb1d5046b3.jpg

do you have the camera that was there before? and how was it connected? what's at the other end of the cables?

Thanks very much for your reply. I've included more photos.

The first is the power supply cabinet, the second the dvr feeder cables, the third is the old camera.

In the camera photos, the fork tongues connected to the fork tongues from the wall on the back of the bracket unit. The very small wires (one black, one white) in the upper left hand corner of the back of the IR camera module connected to the thin black and white ones coming from the wall.

I believe that wiring arrangement was nonstandard; from what I understand newer dome cameras have a standard connector.

My current thinking is I have an older Cat 5 video wire that was spliced in two; what I believe I might need is a balun to convert from what's there to what I need.

I hope this sheds some more light. I appreciate your help very much. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jordan

camera.thumb.jpg.370122573a38146b847053320a300172.jpg

dvr.thumb.jpg.83eaa27099df84bc7791713d5fc6c964.jpg

200180200_powersupply2.thumb.jpg.7662fd35c382424d6f0b9b6d971e75cb.jpg

That power supply's rough. The incoming mains cable should be loomed or otherwise restrained so if the wire breaks at the terminal strip the live wire can't float about and contact anything. The terminal strip should be one with touch-safe terminals. If fuse FS1 is on the mains side of the transformer it should also be one with touch-safe terminals. There should be a flying lead from the earth terminal to the removable cover. so the cover earth doesn't rely on fixing screws.

The low voltage wiring some of the wires have been wrapped round the screws in the wrong direction so tightening the screw loosens the wire. The wires should be loomed neatly and clamped on entry to the box. The hole in the box should be grommeted.

I think you have an undiscovered joint somewhere between two types of wire. The two hook terminals are probably power and I wonder if they're 24Vdc for a heater in the bracket. Possibly the camera has onboard step-down to 12Vdc.

The thin black and white should be video and video ground, but which way round I don't know.