stroonzo

Hikvision 3MP DS-2CD3232-I5 vs Dahua -Lens swap / adjustment

I recently picked up two Hikvision 3MP DS-2CD3232-I5 bullets with 12mm lenses to swap out for my plate cams (where I have been using 8mm Dahuas). These are some good cameras, but specifically one thing I want to point out is the difficulty one will have when or if they ever wanted to swap out or adjust the focus on the lens (compared to all of the Dahua cams I have used).

On the Dahua cameras (domes and bullets), all I have ever had to do was remove either the dome cover or the bullet cover. For the Hikvision, it appears as if a complete disassembly of the front end of the camera would be necessary. I have no intention or need to change the lens and fortunately the focus was already good. I just wanted to give a very quick bit of info on what I have found.

On a side note, the IR on the Hikvision 3MP DS-2CD3232-I5 is just amazing. The two array LEDs on the camera put out more IR than 50 standard LEDs. I am getting IR response on plates at about 175 feet.

I get plate recognition during the day at about 175 feet and at night starting at about 100 feet (depending on which camera and the angle of the approach of the specific vehicle).

Pictures attached (please keep in mind these pictures were compressed and the quality degraded to allow for upload at the 500KB limit).

WP_20140518_006.thumb.jpg.7b113efa7068ae068cd42b2f188e7b9d.jpg

8mmVS12mmSMALL.thumb.jpg.fc11d2e890875c279d7a03940002c21a.jpg

100FootPlateReadDay.thumb.jpg.2012fc035bc0bbf4206658466a19351f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Some additional shots. Keep in mind these pictures had to be compressed to allow for the upload limit of 500KB per pic:

100FootPlateReadNight.thumb.jpg.85313fde90309302f38e71fbfec64ab9.jpg

20FootPlateReadDay(reduced).thumb.jpg.1ed96dba9bdf73653494d1a42d68aa13.jpg

30FTplateReadDayWrongSideofRoad.thumb.jpg.7e07c029b54df5d04870ade42b8770f2.jpg

Edited by Guest

I would imagine IR has to be on to see the plates at that shutter speed which is likely set high, otherwise the headlights would be correct but plates would be dark.

Buellwinkle, you are exactly correct.

Milkisbad, the way plate reading works (in a nutshell): fast shutter, proper angle, lighting (day time), IR reflection (night time).

The camera is set to a constant 1/2000 shutter. The IR is very strong on these cameras which is perfect for plate reflection and recognition at night. These cameras are purposed solely for plate reading. Therefore, at night that is what they're doing and that is why you see just that detail of the plate and the headlight. During the day, even though they are picking up other details, that is not the intent (only an added bonus).

I have overview cameras on the house which are used in conjunction with these (as seen in the one picture taken showing the IR beams from the plate cams). Those overview cams, by the way, are soon the be changed out with IR cams too. Right now they are non-IR domes (modified with lenses with removed IR filters). I have the IR cams waiting to install.

Nice! You've got a great place to install them, and the 12mm looks good for those distances. I suppose they'd be blocked if someone parked on the street in the line of sight. I've always got cars in front of my house, and am looking at ways to get around that.

I swapped a lens on the Hik 2032 bullet this weekend (4mm to 6mm), and it was touch-and-go. As you say, you have to disassemble them completely to swap the lens, and on the 2032, you have to break loose the glue holding the lens in place.

The new lens has a larger back focus length (BFL) than the original, so it focused when it was screwed in a lot less than the original lens. The original lens only had about one turn left before it hit the IR filter housing.

Normally, this larger BFL is a good thing, but on the 2032, the lens was far enough out that it hit the front glass before the sensor board mount assembly was seated. Luckily, I got enough threads on the screws to hold it securely, but there's a small gap between the sensor assembly mount and the case.

So, for Hiks, I'd recommend ordering them with the lens you want, unless you're comfortable hacking on equipment.

I would imagine IR has to be on to see the plates at that shutter speed which is likely set high, otherwise the headlights would be correct but plates would be dark.

Buellwinkle, you are exactly correct.

Milkisbad, the way plate reading works (in a nutshell): fast shutter, proper angle, lighting (day time), IR reflection (night time).

The camera is set to a constant 1/2000 shutter. The IR is very strong on these cameras which is perfect for plate reflection and recognition at night. These cameras are purposed solely for plate reading. Therefore, at night that is what they're doing and that is why you see just that detail of the plate and the headlight. During the day, even though they are picking up other details, that is not the intent (only an added bonus).

I have overview cameras on the house which are used in conjunction with these (as seen in the one picture taken showing the IR beams from the plate cams). Those overview cams, by the way, are soon the be changed out with IR cams too. Right now they are non-IR domes (modified with lenses with removed IR filters). I have the IR cams waiting to install.

Oh I see how it works now...thanks for clearing up one of the mysteries for me!

Nice! You've got a great place to install them, and the 12mm looks good for those distances. I suppose they'd be blocked if someone parked on the street in the line of sight. I've always got cars in front of my house, and am looking at ways to get around that.

I swapped a lens on the Hik 2032 bullet this weekend (4mm to 6mm), and it was touch-and-go. As you say, you have to disassemble them completely to swap the lens, and on the 2032, you have to break loose the glue holding the lens in place.

The new lens has a larger back focus length (BFL) than the original, so it focused when it was screwed in a lot less than the original lens. The original lens only had about one turn left before it hit the IR filter housing.

Normally, this larger BFL is a good thing, but on the 2032, the lens was far enough out that it hit the front glass before the sensor board mount assembly was seated. Luckily, I got enough threads on the screws to hold it securely, but there's a small gap between the sensor assembly mount and the case.

So, for Hiks, I'd recommend ordering them with the lens you want, unless you're comfortable hacking on equipment.

You have just confirmed my suspicion (the Hikvision cameras do not play well for lens swapping) and what I recommended to myself (make sure you buy the camera with the focal length needed). However, I would still question what one is supposed to do if they either wanted or needed to refocus the camera.

Also, this is where I originally had 8mm Dahua cameras. I really only needed a 12mm for the north facing camera (where the street curves in / opposite side of the road from the cameras), but the IR in the Hikvision was so much better I went ahead and changed out the other one.

I have not had any issues with them being blocked by parked cars (yet). We have a good mix of long driveways, detached garages, and wide lots. Most people on my street park in their garages or at least in their driveways.

Those overview cams, by the way, are soon the be changed out with IR cams too. Right now they are non-IR domes (modified with lenses with removed IR filters). I have the IR cams waiting to install.

You might need to rethink that. Unless you're very fortunate, spiders will be attracted to the IR. That becomes a deal breaker. Rain and fog will make an IR image unusable too. Think about separate IR fixtures. Nice pics, btw.

I have not had any issues with IR and insects / spiders. And we never have fog (maybe a few days a year). I am not sure there is much any camera can do about fog. It must be all of the deltamethrin, permethrin sfr, and fipronil I use around my house. Two to three times a year. No more crazy ants!

A camera without IR can actually still show a very usable picture in moderate fog. With IR, it's a white out conditions looking snow storm.

A camera without IR can actually still show a very usable picture in moderate fog. With IR, it's a white out conditions looking snow storm.

Hmmm, thanks for the tip. I did not think about that. I guess that shows you how little fog we get. It makes sense. I can understand how the IR would reflect off of the vapor and shine back into the sensor (just like a highbeam headlight to a driver in a car).

I took some additional pictures of the pillars / planters I built to house the street cams (if anyone was interested in seeing more detail on those). The cabling to these is run in conduit from the house out to their location. One side of the pillar is removable for servicing. The pillars have spiked feet driven into the ground, are secured in with two 4 foot sections of rebar (each), and have been weighted with 50 pounds of pea gravel contained within. Irrigation is routed up to the flower pots and connected into the lawn irrigation system. Drainage from the pots is also installed and routed in a controlled manner within the pillar (so the pots do not overflow and spill out potentially making the lens dirty or blocked).

I've had these in service for about a year. They have been working very well.

WP_20130827_004.thumb.jpg.61e5b761b53ad30bfd1afde76b0ef8c4.jpg

WP_20130827_001.thumb.jpg.fbd7526a28ddcf90aecd71e75cf7d7b1.jpg

WP_20140520_005.thumb.jpg.e6bbf99e16d414a5442477da90377e61.jpg

Edited by Guest

Those look great. Are you thinking about camoflaging the cams a bit more, like painting the enclosures black, or faux woodgrain to match the stands?

You have just confirmed my suspicion (the Hikvision cameras do not play well for lens swapping) and what I recommended to myself (make sure you buy the camera with the focal length needed). However, I would still question what one is supposed to do if they either wanted or needed to refocus the camera.

Re-focus is the same - open it up, break off the glue bits, and you can adjust it. I used brake cleaner lightly applied with a fine paintbrush, then pried at the glue with a small screwdriver until it popped loose in one piece. Mine has glue on 2 sides, and there's a little recess in the lens housing for the glue to lock in.

Without the glue, the lens is only a little loose in the housing; definitely tighter than most M12 cams. I usually put a wrap of teflon tape to keep the lens from shifting, but this made the lens too tight in the 2032 lens housing, so I used a small strip of teflon tape right where the threads engaged when focused.

In general, it's a pretty big pain, and the risk of poor lens fit is high. It's definitely not something I'd recommend to someone who's not a tinker.

I have a hard time finding a hik 3232 camera. I do see a 2232 camera on the Hikvision website.

What is the difference?

I have a hard time finding a hik 3232 camera. I do see a 2232 camera on the Hikvision website.

What is the difference?

I do not know. I wonder the same thing. My friend just ordered the 2232, so we will find out I guess. From everything I have read, they are the same. In fact, the specs for the 3232 are slightly off. It is capable of 20 fps at 3MP. All of the specs state 15.

What is the difference?

I do not know. I wonder the same thing. My friend just ordered the 2232, so we will find out I guess. From everything I have read, they are the same. In fact, the specs for the 3232 are slightly off. It is capable of 20 fps at 3MP. All of the specs state 15.

Where did you and your friend order their cameras? Thanks.

Here is one of the my two spare Dahua IPC-HDB3200C domes that ended up being displaced after all of the camera rearranging. The lens swap on these is super simple. I ran Cat5e underground to the back fence along with some 12v DC power. The camera is POE, so the 12V is to run two IR illuminators.

But wait.... the IPC-HDB3200C isn't a Day/Night mechanical IR cut camera. Well, this would not be the first time I ran one of these with no IR filter on the M12 lens.

I thought it would be kind of cool to have just a general overview camera on my back fence (that faces the man blvd of the neighborhood).

To get the most view I went ahead and placed an F1.4 2.8mm non IR cut lens in it. I am really impressed with the lens too. I purchased it from Aliexpress and I have to say this is a very nice lens.

As for the IR illuminators, I got those on Aliexpress as well. I have never had any luck with any of the IR illuminators I purchased from that site. I am sure these two will last about 3 months before they die. I have two mounted above the camera pointed about 90 degrees off of each other. The 2.8 is so wide the boundary of the IR illuminators is shown now. Before, with a 3.6, this did not happen.

Yes the color is weird during the day, but this is no more than a cool factor camera for me anyway. Here is a shot of the camera in the day and at night.

2point8-Mid-Day-No-IR-Cut.thumb.JPG.7feb6e93d64846029253924dc8df49c2.JPG

2point8-Night.thumb.JPG.3d882d0b7c0e5ff7130e9af2a8cf3285.JPG

What is the difference?

I think I found the difference. I just got dropshipped 5 2232's directly from Hikvision USA, They have no mounting holes on the back or bottom. The only mounting option is the one attached to it. I've attached some pictures of my Cams. Heres a 3232 I found on ebay that has back and side pictures which the mounting holes. I am a bit disappointed that they don't have the holes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hikvision-DS-2CD3232-I5-IP66-3MP-EXIR-HD-1080P-IR-Network-CCTV-IP-Camera-POE-/151364039265?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item233dfff261

Ebay Link to camera with mounting holes.

Pics of 2232 I took this morning at work.

http://imgur.com/a/8Dk8k

Holes?

Holes for moisture seepage? Edit:

The one on eBay doesn't seem to have the standard adjustable mount?

Edited by Guest

The one even with the tripod / whatever you call those screw holes for mounts still has an IP66 rating like the one with no holes. The only difference I see is you are stuck with the mount the 2332 comes with forever and the 3232 can pretty much use any mount available. Personally I would like to be able to use any mount.