Sign in to follow this  
seriousfew

Violating building code?

When you install a surveillance system in a building/store/warehouse/house/you-name-it: do you have to follow or be vary of any kinds of building codes or rules to properly install the system in Canada?

What I mean by that is if I just drill a bunch of cameras(vandal and weather proof but without housings) to some walls outside the building in question, connect cameras using plain RJ-45 cable(the one not designed for the outdoor) and leave them hanging without much support/tuck them in somewhere where they might fall off later - will there be any legal problems or the like for me if a building inspector(or whoever is usually in charge of this) arrives and notices my poor job?

Now, I'm exhaggerating here. Obviously I would try to do the best job I can with the experience I posses at the moment(none). I would try to use all kinds of accessories out there to protect and hide the cameras and cables outside and inside the building. But how do I know if I didn't violate any building codes/rules/laws/etc?

Yes ... what is the point of a building code if you don't "have" to follow it.

Yes ... what is the point of a building code if you don't "have" to follow it.

That makes perfect sense.

Have you ever done a good job and then were faced with legal issues in regards to that job?

No, i'm not a professional, however my friend works at the county in permitting dept. The property owner is the one on the hook with the county, even if they get scammed by a tradesman. There is usually a fine that has the be paid, depending on the infraction. Business are more likely to get caught not having proper permits and/or unpermitted work. For residential, someone has to report you, but that is usually done by a "nice" neighbour or renter. Every area has different codes, but they usually follow some national/international standard body.

Doing low-voltage wiring as a home owner you're not really going to have any issues with that, however I think pro's might be held to higher standard. Again, I don't know where the limit is for what type of work would require a permit or not. Thats all i know really, and probably got some of it wrong anyway.

Building codes vary slightly from region/jurisdiction/residential/commercial.

Building codes generally don't change very often.

Building code deals primary with the building structure and safety.

Electric code deals with any electric wiring, high voltage mains/low voltage.

When installing CCTV, building code and electric code must be maintained.

Some rules..

Do not drill large holes in load bearing beams.

Do not drill large holes in exterior walls.

Use proper anchors when mounting heavy cameras.

Do not mix low voltage wiring with mains wiring.

If you do not compromise the structural integrity/safety of the building, or modify the existing mains wiring, your building inspector/insurance agent won't issue a infraction notice to comply with...