cavcom

Need a 16 port switch with 30watts every port

You need 480W Total??

I haven't encountered too many cameras that draw more than 13W POE.

The axis P3364-LVE with heater, fan, motorized lens, and IR leds draw only 12.1W max.

Cisco SG300-28MP

Gigabit

24 Ports POE+

375W Total

41.67mpps

56gbps

41.7dB @ 50degreeC

Cisco SG300-52MP

Gigabit

48 Ports POE+

740W Total

77.38mpps

104gbps

47.4dB

Edited by Guest

I run a Cisco 3560G POE-24 for my home network in which 14 of the ports are running POE IP cameras. The other ten ports run to APs, smaller desk switches, point to point radios, VMWare server (which runs my NVR, file server, firewall, etc). This is all housed and home run into a custom media cabinet I built.

It is nice having everything running on a single switch. The VMWare server, Switch, and subsequently all of the IP cams are on a UPS. The cabinet is power ventilated as well (through the top - behind the TV). The doors are also secured and locked.

WP_20140519_009.thumb.jpg.f2f2d70e145a798c850b2f28b72f0aa6.jpg

WP_20140519_010.thumb.jpg.91e40a9b2705aaa8c7eae31f24f01dbb.jpg

WP_20140519_007.thumb.jpg.e164cacef6501baf6660efc008c8c798.jpg

Also, as stated on Cisco's datasheet for the 3560G POE:

The Cisco Catalyst 3560 8-port PoE and 24-port PoE configurations can support 8 and 24 simultaneous full-powered PoE ports at 15.4W for maximum powered-device support.

You can pick these switches up from many places for about $500 - $700 **used**. Well worth it. These are super bang for the buck. Not only do you get 24 ports POE, but the managed switch is a bonus if you wanted to do any network segmentation etc. The UI for the switch over the browser is good too. And if you know how to telnet and manage the switch, that is an option as well.

In your price range, choices are limited. You can get say tow ZyXel es1100-16p that have 8 PoE ports, runs about $150, full power on all PoE ports and get two of them to fit your budget.

Isn't that switch loud ? I can't image putting a switch with fans where I watch TV.

I run a Cisco 3560G POE-24 for my home network in which 14 of the ports are running POE IP cameras. The other ten ports run to APs, smaller desk switches, point to point radios, VMWare server (which runs my NVR, file server, firewall, etc). This is all housed and home run into a custom media cabinet I built.

It is nice having everything running on a single switch. The VMWare server, Switch, and subsequently all of the IP cams are on a UPS. The cabinet is power ventilated as well (through the top - behind the TV). The doors are also secured and locked.

Any PoE switch that has more than say 4 PoE ports will have a fan. Think about it, you are asking the device to potentially dissipate 246W, not going to happen with heat sinks inside a small metal box. If it's not loud out of the box, it will be as dust collects on the fan and circuit board. Move up to 24 port PoE switch at full power at each port, that's a big switch and typically has multiple fans. Switches in general tend to be 4, 8, 24 and 48 PoE ports, not many in the 16 PoE port variety. We use the 24 port Netgear Prosafe but doesn't meet you needs as it's only 192W total power and you need 246W.

If it's by your home TV, don't you already have devices with fans, cable box, Tivo, DVD player, NVR. It doesn't bother me, but bothers the heck out of my wife, but part of the noise of living in an area that is too quiet. What's what I love about living in an urban environment, fan noise helps drown out the noise of the city, LOL.

Isn't that switch loud ? I can't image putting a switch with fans where I watch TV.

That is not my living room. The network home run, that piece of furniture I built, the cabinet containing the switch, server, modem, UPS, etc is our music / piano room (former, formal living).

Additionally the cabinet stays closed, the switch fans are PWM (regulated speed / thermally managed), the exhaust fan at the top of the cabinet (behind the TV under the surface the TV sits on), is silent.

Any PoE switch that has more than say 4 PoE ports will have a fan. Think about it, you are asking the device to potentially dissipate 246W, not going to happen with heat sinks inside a small metal box. If it's not loud out of the box, it will be as dust collects on the fan and circuit board. Move up to 24 port PoE switch at full power at each port, that's a big switch and typically has multiple fans. Switches in general tend to be 4, 8, 24 and 48 PoE ports, not many in the 16 PoE port variety. We use the 24 port Netgear Prosafe but doesn't meet you needs as it's only 192W total power and you need 246W.

If it's by your home TV, don't you already have devices with fans, cable box, Tivo, DVD player, NVR. It doesn't bother me, but bothers the heck out of my wife, but part of the noise of living in an area that is too quiet. What's what I love about living in an urban environment, fan noise helps drown out the noise of the city, LOL.

HP has 8 Port Full POE switches with out fans

Any recommendations ?

This is for an all ip camera setup.

Thanks

you aren't going to find a switch that can pump over 500 watts out and have it be fanless. It would need a massive heat sink to do that and would take up several rack units. There isn't a market for that product.

There are options though that are roughly within your price range.

Netgear makes a 24 port gigabit managed switch with 16 ports of PoE for about $450 (available at Amazon). 8 of the 16 PoE ports are capable of POE+ and can deliver up to 30 watts. It has a fan but from the reviews it does not appear to be particularly loud. It's also a fully managed switch which means you can do clever things with your network to segment traffic, as well as see errors/faults when you have a PoE or port speed problem.

You can probably even configure it to send you an email alert when there is a problem... like the fan failing.

HP has 8 Port Full POE switches with out fans

Mainly because it doesn't have an internal power supply. It has a brick mounted to the back of it.

True and that doesn't have fans either.

Doesn't the Netgear 24 port PoE switches have power budgets that would limit having full 15.4W per port? The one we have has a 192W power budget.