PeteCress

Can Anybody Speculate On This Setup?

http://www.schooners.com/multimedia/hillbarcam.htm

What's got me all spun up is the quality of the motion - fan blades and all.

Makes my dinky little BlueIris setup look pathetic.

He has a couple other cams with the same outstanding quality.

Seems like FlashPlayer is involved because of the progress bar at the bottom of the screen.

But I have no clue otherwise.

Likely streaming to a Wowsa server or Unreal Media Server. What are you using for live streaming? I'm use BlueIris also for live streaming cameras for a community, works well too. I use the jpegpull.htm that I modified to make it look pretty, easy to do. Get rid of the background wallpaper that's lame, the unnecessary controls and works with any browse.

Likely streaming to a Wowsa server or Unreal Media Server. What are you using for live streaming? I'm use BlueIris also for live streaming cameras for a community, works well too. I use the jpegpull.htm that I modified to make it look pretty, easy to do. Get rid of the background wallpaper that's lame, the unnecessary controls and works with any browse.

I use BI too, but I think the limited bandwidth of the Comcast connection that the BI server is behind is most of the difference.

ExtremeSurfCam.DynDNS.org

It's "Good Enough" with just one or 2 people logged in. One cam only puts out 14 FPS - but I think that's just part and parcel of having a cheap cam. The other cam stays in the high twenties.

But with six people logged in, motion gets unacceptably choppy and I am not looking forward to the day when we have a dozen concurrent users.

Seems like, with Flash streaming, there are two advantages:

• The inherently more-efficient Flash file format: more data over a smaller pipeline
  • The fact that the streaming service's bandwidth is much less limited than a Comcast cable modem.

But I'm still trying to get my head around the whole Flash streaming concept: what the components are, what the terms of art are, pricing, and so-forth.

Also, all the Flash streaming implementations I have seen so far present a single "Live" view (even so it might be a couple minutes old...). The users of my application rely a lot on the stack of five-minute clips that my instance of Blue Iris keeps and makes available in it's web presentation.

Well you are not going to get the functionality of having recorded video clips and the weather overlay without BlueIris. But here's the 411, re-streaming software is not cheap, I believe Wowsa starts at a grand and Unreal is maybe half that. What I like about Unreal Media Service is they have a free version good for up to 15 users, 5 cameras I believe so I did my review on it and it works well. VLC works and of course it's free, but did not give me smooth video but maybe that's improved. The one guy I know that does this has serious bandwidth, not cable or u-verse/fios but dedicated digital circuits, streams live 1080P video to hundreds of viewers.

If you want to allow more and more people to visit your site and keep up with the bandwidth, your best bet is to go with a streaming service and the cheapest is YouTube Live, meaning free. The reason is you only have to send one live stream to YouTube, everyone else connects to it, unlimited, 1 user or 100, same bandwidth from your point of view. Then embed the YouTube videos on a web page so it looks like what you have now. Instead of the embedded weather in the video, put the weather somewhere on the page like most sites do.

Well you are not going to get the functionality of having recorded video clips and the weather overlay without BlueIris. But here's the 411, re-streaming software is not cheap....

Which simplifies my decision greatly...... -).... The client has a low budget for this. He wouldn't even go for a commercial Comcast account; so I had to stream over a couple of radios to a house a mile-and-a-half away to get behind a Comcast cable modem instead of the shop's pitiful 44k DSL connection.

If you want to allow more and more people to visit your site and keep up with the bandwidth, your best bet is to go with a streaming service and the cheapest is YouTube Live, meaning free. The reason is you only have to send one live stream to YouTube, everyone else connects to it, unlimited, 1 user or 100, same bandwidth from your point of view. Then embed the YouTube videos on a web page so it looks like what you have now. Instead of the embedded weather in the video, put the weather somewhere on the page like most sites do.

That was calling out to me a year or so ago. Seems like the logical solution. Tried YouTube and Vimeo at the time, but came up against the problem of automating the upload/delete process (i.e. keep uploading the latest clips and delete the oldest clip at the end of each upload).

Sounds like I should re-visit this in hopes that something has changed - or my IQ has risen - since the last time.

Hello

This is our solution(still under development):

http://evosec.eu:8080/demo/

Low - PAL resolution, approx 2Mbps from camera to our hardware.

High - FullHD resolution, approx 8Mbps from camera to our hardware.

We thought of the liberty of letting the customer decide what camera to watch. We plan a map-type/location choice in the future!