Sign in to follow this  
psyentific

move Swann IP cams from NVR to Mac?

So, I have a few Swann HD-820 (Hikvision DS-2CD2032 really) IP cameras currently hooked up to a Swann NVR8-7200, and I want to migrate some of them over to a 2011 Macbook Air running SecuritySpy NVR software.

I know I need a POE switch, so I bought a Zyxel ES1100-8P.

I'm fairly network savvy, but I'm a bit stumped at this point. Do I just plug both the mac and the IP cams into the switch (let's assume I don't care about an internet connection at this point, for simplicity)? The mac will complain that there's no internet connection, although it sees the switch. I'm not sure how to find/connect to the camera in this situation though.

Help?

Yes, forgot about the iVMS4200 software for Mac. SADP is much easier, quicker, but you'll need Windows. If you have a Windows computer hanging around, old laptop, friends laptop, SADP is quick, shows all the cameras connected, you type in the new IP, enter password, save and done.

Okay, IVMS worked. Had to change take the Macbook internet settings out of DHCP and change them manually to match the Swann camera subnet 172.16.1.X, since I didn't want to make any changes to the cam at this point.

Also had to figure out that the default user name and password as configured from Swann was admin and 12345 .

Now I at least have proof-of-concept of the camera recording on SecuritySpy successfully. Probably we will get a couple more of the same camera and a dedicated Mac Mini to run them on.

I'm sure SADP is quicker, and I usually have Parallels and/or Bootcamp installed on my Mac, but not on this laptop at the moment. Also, I usually prefer to figure out how to do it via mac when possible, as that's usually a more robust (& educational) solution for me in the long run.

Thanks for you help.

Here's the web plugin if you ever need to see them on Safari (but not sure if you still need them if you have the latest firmware cameras):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ga3rgdcasxke2l/WebComponents.pkg

I know SADP for windows depends on a installation of winpcap from winpcap.org, which is a windows only thing? It will be nice if they make a SADP for Mac .

Glad to hear you got it to work though.