baywatch

Anyone using Avermedia cards& software

Is there anyone using Avermedia cards on a regular basis and how are you finding them?

We used to use them but had networking difficulties with them.

We might start using them again if there are good reports.

The image quality was superb.

We are one of the number one US distributers of the Avermedia DVR cards. We sell about 60-100 systems a month all with the 3000/5000/7000 cards. You are right about the image and video, it is superb (especially in D1 720 x 480). After there recent software release(V. 5.5) the DVR is absolutely amazing if setup with the right hardware. Basically, " what cant the DVR do ". We rarely have any problems with the cards themselves. Usually a hardware issue if any. But they are very stable and very reliable. Avermedia has come a long way with their DVR cards and I think they are really headed in the right direction.

Yes I'll say it right now " They Blow Geovision Away"

(Uh Oh, I am going to get in trouble for that)

Please visit my thread about the new features of version 5.5:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4075

We also carry the new 4 channel stand alone from Aver. So far, has given us very good results with no problems as of yet.

PM me for more info regarding the cards and the way we set our systems up.

Thanks,

We used to use them but had networking difficulties with them.

What kind of problems were you having?

When did you use them?

We are one of the number one US distributers...

I just can't let that one go... pet peeve of mine...

There can only be ONE number one of anything, unless they are all absolutely equal, otherwise you have THE number one, then number two, etc... Or you can say one of the TOP 10 distributors, or something like that...

Nothing personal, I just see people using that phrase all the time...

Ok, back to regular programming.

BTW, I am carefully looking at a card solution for my needs, so I am reading with interest..

No Problem,

Your right. Just use to people phrasing it that way. I hear it all the time from my management so its kind of implanted in my Brain

There can only be ONE number one of anything

What if they are tied for 1st place j/k

We started using Avermedia about 4 to 5 years ago.

We started using their 16 camera Linux based units which we prchased as stand alone recorders. These gave no problems for long periods.

We then had some of the 1st Eyes Pro cards running on Windows. Again they run o.k. for a fairly long period.

We also had a complete Eyes Pro unit off them which gave problems from day 1 because of poor build quality.

We arranged a visit when their technical guy was going to give tuition to my biggest customer (they had 4 x Avers already)& demonstrate the facilities to the managers & directors. When he arrived he decided to upgrade the unit to the latest software at which point he couldn't get anything working and ended up having to take the machine away in front of the customer.

On another occasion a different techy came down to assist us on networking, insisted we purchase some different components which we did, he left the customers premises & 30 minutes later everything locked up.

The biggest problem we had was that systems would run for about 6 weeks (long enough for us to install several) before they started crashing continually. We had to replace all the cards & software with Geovision & currently install these about 100 to 150 a year.

Avermedia upgraded all the cards & software for us last year but I don't want to get burned again.

I got the impression when I dealt with them directly that they were a multimedia business trying out security.

Yes they really have come a long way since 4-5 years ago, even from 6 months ago. This is how we setup our systems:

-Pentium 4 2.66 533FSB (NO HT, stock intel heatsink and Fan)

-Intel Chipset 915 Mobo (PCI express and SATA)

-512MB-1GB of DDR400 PC3200 RAM (depending on Number of Channels)

-120GB Min SATA Western Digital HDD

-ATI Radeon X300 PCI-Express 256MB Vid Card

-Some different cases, but all have 2 fans one on side with CPU port Tube and one in rear.

-Windows XP SP2

-Services and Non-essential programs removed or disabled.

-No Anti-anything

-Sony DVD-RW

With this setup we have had phenomenal results. CPU utilization stays very low as well as system temps. If any, failures usually are hardware related, mostly HDD's. But since we switched to SATA HDD's about 2 months ago, haven't had one HDD failure.

We had recently put in five 16-ch system in 3 sites and have been using the NV5000 (V5.5) from AVerMedia. They've worked great thus far and we've been very impressed with the software+hardware quality. The IP Camera integration (without having to pay a BOMB for IP software) is a definite plus. We have just far been using some AXIS, Panasonic IP cameras in conjunction with our older CCTV ones. Very impressed. AVerMedia has certainly come of age.

Hi Kand, we have been using AVer since Apr Last year with their NV v5.1 (which is much improved from the MP series) Now with the free V5.5 upgrade things are looking even better. Can't wait 'til they launch the Central monitoring software (free install i heard!). We are based in northern CA and have offices in the mid-west and the east cost.

Sounds great. We are a pretty big distributor of Aver Systems as you have probably read. Been selling them for awhile now. The Central Management Software is incredible. Have seen it up and running . It will be free for up to 7 or 8 DVR's. They will also be releasing their enterprise edition (100's or 1000's of DVR's) for a price.

Well, glad to have met you. Stay in touch, some very good info on these forums.

Are the 3/5/7000 systems hardware dvr cards or software as in some of the geovision cards ?

Regards

Keith

Are the 3/5/7000 systems hardware dvr cards or software as in some of the geovision cards ?

Regards

Keith

1/3/5000 and 7000 systems are hardware dvr cards,and we sell them with our AP CD as a product sku.

What are the browser requirements for these cards? Does it have to be IE? Is ActiveX required?

Either IE or the remote software. And yes, an Active X is required the first time you connect.

I see in the specs for the NV5000 card that it does 120 fps. Can you get 30 frame per second at 720 by 480 with 1 NV5000 card using only 4 inputs? How about 2 NV5000 cards and 8 inputs? If so, this would be a great card for real-time systems.

Can you get 30 frame per second at 720 by 480 with 1 NV5000 card using only 4 inputs?

Yes, you would only use 1 5000 card which has 4 inputs(120FPS Total). The cards only have 4 inputs on them. If you plan to expand you either use a video extension card or get a full 5000 card to higher fps.

How about 2 NV5000 cards and 8 inputs?

This would give you a realtime 8 channel system. 240FPS total.

Here is a breakdown of the systems we build:

FPS/Ch./Cards/Vid Ext.

30/ 4/ 1x3000/ none

60/ 8/ 2x3000/ none

120/ 12/ 1x5000/ 2xExt.

120/ 16/ 1x5000/ 3xExt.

120/ 4/ 1x5000/ none

120/ 8/ 1x5000/ 1xExt.

240/ 8/ 2x5000/ none

240/ 16/ 2x5000/ 2xExt.

480/ 16/ 4x7000/ none (16 ch. Audio included)

The Hybrid 6000 card will be released soon. It is similar to the GEO Combo cards. Only One card, 16 channels Vid, 8 Channels Audio, 240FPS or 480FPS, no extensions.

Thanks kandcorp. My concern is alot of specs say 30 fps per input but then you find out this is at a lower resoulution. usually 320 by 240. Higher res. 720 by 480 will then be 7.5 frames per second. One last question, can the 7000 series cards do 720 by 640 at 30 fps per input?

Thanks for your help.

BTW - I saw a demo of the Avermedia cards and I was impressed.

Please look at this:

http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/dvr/nveyescomparison.pdf

All the cards can achieve there FPPS potential at 352x240 and 640x480. But, when you set DVR to 720x480 on the 7000 card your max frame rate with 4 cards(16ch.) is 120FPS.

The new 6000 card supposedly can achieve the 480FPS@720x480 depending on CPU. Same with the 3000 and 5000 on 720x480 can be achieved depending on CPU. Now we havn't tested this but, I sure would like to know what it takes to achieve that. If your looking for that kind of performance why not go Stand-Alone.

I would take 640*480 @ 30 fps hardware mpeg4 over 720*480 @ 30fps software or hybrid.

I wouldn't do it for 320*240 like that chart shows, 640*480 is about all I care about at this time.

I agree with CollinR, 640 by 480 would be fine. As for stand alones, I like the features and performance you get with PC based DVRs.

Thanks for your help Kandcorp. I'm going to try the AverMedia card out and will let you know how it works out.

do any of u lot find any problems with pc based systems as far as reliability. never liked the idea of xp running a security system!

NO, not if you know what your doing. With the proper hardware/software setup and the proper windows settings (services, processes, software etc.) they can be the most reliable, stable DVR's.

Its all a misconceived perception because people dont know what they're doing.