fastsvo

newbie residential install - need help!

Hi Guys,

I am new to residential CCTV and could use some sound advice.

We are remodeling our newly purchased home and have been thinking about installing a camera system. I started looking at offers from Costco (720p analog Qsee system) and then starting reading more about IP and SDI based systems. They do seem expensive when purchasing a complete kit, but from what I am reading now, some people have been able to piece together their own setup at a much lower cost basis.

At this time, since we are making holes in the walls during our renovation, my thinking is to just pre-wire the system throughout the house (outside and in the attic).

Which one wire (Cat5e?) could I use to satisfy the direction of my future CCTV system whether it be analog or digital?

I don't want to limit myself by using the incorrect wiring and would rather do it right the first time. The cameras can come later as my budget allows.

While on the topic, if you had to come up with your own "recipe" for cameras, software (alerting,etc..) and DVR unit, what would that look like (for IP cams)? Note, I am shooting for 4 -6 cameras in total.

Thanks in advance!

If you truly want to future proof it, go with CAT-6 or 6a but for the foreseeable future CAT5e is plenty. At some point the cameras will make another jump and they might require that extra bit of speed. If you plan to run the cables in your attic, basement, or garage make dang sure you use plenum rated cable.

I would also make sure you have a much more than adequate maintenance loop left inside the wall. If you rearrange furniture or re-model again later, it could prevent you from having to re-run a line later. Just make sure you keep all your runs under 328 feet... really just call it 300 feet to accommodate IP cameras and the limitations of Ethernet. There are PLENTY of cases where people have exceeded 300 feet, but the standards are there for a reason and it is always best to follow them if possible. If that means adding a second smaller switch to bridge a long run and re-amplify the signal, then do it... period.

Use Siemens cable. Run cheap 2 pair next to it for Ptz if you chose. Baluns can be expensive and unreliable.

I have sdi cameras and dvrs.

Thanks

Ray CFA

So, if I decide to install a PTZ camera would I need something more than a cat5e connection to make it fully functional?

I'm thinking a single camera would need a single run of cat5e cable?

Just run a pair of cat6 for the PTz, Use the second splitting the pairs for your 24Vac if it's analogue. If it's an IP cam then get POE and you are laughing. I always run a spare cat5 where there is a tricky install, it costs but it often pays you back with interest. Happy remodelling

If there are main sections of the building where connections between them will only be available during this redo then install plastic conduit between the sections. Absolute minimum ID of 1" recommend 1.5". It will always be there to add through in the future.

If there are main sections of the building where connections between them will only be available during this redo then install plastic conduit between the sections. Absolute minimum ID of 1" recommend 1.5". It will always be there to add through in the future.

A great suggestion, PVC conduit is cheap very cheap and if you use 1" you can pull several acles. Don't forget to plan inspection junctions and pull a pull-cord through with your cables so you can pull extra cables through later.

Hi. At this stage I would network house

Don't just think CCTV .... I would put cat6 in most rooms

Look at full network and create a switch room.

Not only to you have it in place for CCTV but also

Heating

Tv

AC

Lighting

Hi. At this stage I would network house

Don't just think CCTV .... I would put cat6 in most rooms

Look at full network and create a switch room.

Not only to you have it in place for CCTV but also

Heating

Tv

AC

Lighting

Very good call... if you are doing it, might as well go whole hog.

Why plenum cables for a residential install. I understand the benefits of plenum but is it a must? Also can you use standard ends/ connectors?