FredB

New H.264 DVR

Has anyone tried it? Besides the fact that it is Intellicam how sells them, the specs are pretty interesting. Obiously the h.264 is the key here, together with full audio,720 X 240 rec varible bit rate, low res version for streaming.

Opinions?

http://cctvdealers.com/g4rta.htm

Scroll down to see a remote PC shot. Think the interface looks like a modification on the Argus DVR interface

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RTA-16-Port-High-End-Digital-Audio-Video-Recorder-DVR_W0QQitemZ5856759199QQcategoryZ88756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Sure that one is great also.

Wanted a model that has a 4, 8 and 16 version though. Intellicam usally has really good prices for maybe not so brilliant stuff, but I was thinking maybe they actually found something good in Korea for a change.

Like to get some opinions though.

That model posted above does come in 4, 8, and 16 channel. Also, available from ICR is a more entry level 4, 8, and 16 channel (Mpeg4, 7.5fps per channel, CDRW, Audio all the goodies). Pricing is great on them as well.

Has anyone tried it? Besides the fact that it is Intellicam how sells them, the specs are pretty interesting. Obiously the h.264 is the key here, together with full audio,720 X 240 rec varible bit rate, low res version for streaming.

Opinions?

http://cctvdealers.com/g4rta.htm

Scroll down to see a remote PC shot. Think the interface looks like a modification on the Argus DVR interface

http://cgi.ebay.ca/RTA-16-Port-High-End-Digital-Audio-Video-Recorder-DVR_W0QQitemZ5856759199QQcategoryZ88756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Doesnt look like much of a modification, looks exactly the same as the HiSharp generic software. They always had a couple different back ground colors.

Neither one of them says they will record 30fps at 720x480. The ameba or the Intellicam wont even record that resolution at all according to the specs. So I am not impressed at all, looking at the specs the Everfocus EDR1680 looks better then both of those.

Yah mean NeverFocus

We had terrible luck with them in the past, basically dont try to play back on the network ..

I actually called Intellicam to try the demo of the above DVR (the web server version), and the playback was actually really great. The user interface could be better, but the recording quality and the way it synced to the audio. They have a Star Wars movie playing on one of the channels, and I was playing back some material from that one. H.264 is very impressive.

Will get an 8 channel to try for our next job.

PS. You can run the DVR with a remote client also so you can pull video streams from diferent locations also.

Damn Rory that Everfocus ordeal really traumatized you huh? As a distributer of over 150 lines of euipment I feel the rathe of installers when equipment goes bad, even though I am not the manufacture and believe me Everfocus EDSR's are barely in my top 5 bad DVR issues. The new EDR's are pretty impressive for the price and network playback was an issue with alot of the first round network dvr's as well as other networking issues. Hell the DX8000 when it came out had a problem with the CDRW I don't think there is one DVR out there that hasn;t had its fall back, damn you being in the bahamas I am surprised you get any equipment that hasn't been takin apart and either searched for drugs or used for the transportation of them.

we sold several of the EDR1600's or whatever they call them, that was a year ago .. never again ... they cant have upgraded it that much .. the price is too high for what you get, there are many other more stable alternatives for a low end DVR.

Technology in the last year has went crazy...think of it this way..how many mpeg 4 or 480fps 16 ch stand alone DVR's were there a year or so ago? Now for the price yes, now a days there are alot more dvr's available that are less expensive with the same if not more advanced features, which is why I used to tell my rep was the reason I don't sell to many. Don't get me wrong I am not an Everfocus junky I have had many issues with there equipment but they always do whats right with returns and repairs and such just like any other company who equipment I recommend(which there isn't alot considering all the ones I sell). To me if the company is willing to do what it takes to make it right with whatever the situation is(and hopefully it was just a couple bad apples) then they must have something going otherwise they wouldn't be succesfull. One of these days when I get you to set up an account with me I will send you out some free demo's to test drive.

See the difference down here is, we need solid systems, we cant afford to just send them back if they dont work, and they cost double their price just to land here ... so thats why i dont really mess with demos anymore, i mean if they are ultimately low priced as a demo, i have a colleague that would, but like me he wont ever touch another everfocus, hisharp, or provideo DVR again ...wasted too much money.

If they dont work, for the cost of the unit itself, it costs too much to make it worth sending back. Ive tested others for half the cost and they worked better .. 480fps was out a year ago, and the thing is, with all these stand alones that claim 480fps, its not in high res, and have very few features compared to the bigger brand names with slower speeds. With Security you want a solid DVR, and Kalatel, now GE, has proven that with their track record over the past several years, from being one of the first major DVR manufacturers ..

See know I love GE I sold well over 1 mil by myself last year half in DVMRE's alone but I have had issues with there stuff to. I understand importing cost alot thats why I said free. When the ultra view domes first came out I had 10 out of 14 go down in a week so I sent him 10 more of which 4 were junk at the get go and that customer will never buy those domes again but I still recommend them and sell quite a bit of them. In Oct. Nov. and Dec. I sold over 100 DVMRE's and had 10 either doa or with other issues. Now if those would have been the first 10 I sent to you as a new customer to me and GE would you still buy more??

Yeah, i had some issues with their cams and hate their Ultraview, but their DVRs have been rock solid from 5 years ago when it was Kalatel, not sure how the very new ones are, last one we bought was a year ago.

But if i want a cheap DVR like everfocus, the best bet is AvTech, 1/2 the money, similar remote software and local features .. but they dont crash ..

Difference between the unit having a hardware problem from day one, to a DVR just locking up cause the software is poorly written and they use cheap hardware .. and yeah if I got 10 bad units in a row you bet id be on here giving the same review of them, never heard of that though from anyone that bought them. Once again, return policy means nothing to me, it has to work everytime. Obviously if it is a harddrive issue that can happen to anything. Ive got the tools to fix that myself.

Those 10 weren't in a row, they were spread out over a couple months. To be honest I don't think there is one company out there( that I do enough business with to judge) that I haven't had at least one issue with or another. Since my rep from the company you don't like left there I haven't been to happy with there customer service. Hey who is this Hikvision I keep hearing about? They make alot of DVR's that are oem'd or what?