buellwinkle

Hikvision Face Detection and Line Traversal in 5.1.6

Have any of you used the new face detection feature in 5.1.6? I must have missed it but as I upgrade more cameras to 5.1.6 is caught my eye. How about the traverse a virtual plane that triggers motion detection if it crosses a line in a certain direction.

I tested it briefly and it identified my face anywhere on the screen, pretty cool. This is similar to the face detection on point and shot cameras. If you enable analysis, then a green box shows up around your face.

Have not played yet with Traversal, but it's cool in that it detect objects traversing a line in a particular direction. Since it's direction specific, it won't likely be affected by shadows that affect typical motion detection.

This is what you get from the help button -

FACE DETECTION

If you enable the face detection, once a face appears in

the surveillance area, it will be detected and the linkage method will

be triggered by the detection.

Check the Enable Face Detection checkbox to enable the function.

Check the Enable Dynamic Analysis for Face Detection checkbox if you want the detected face get marked with green rectangle in the live view.

Configure the Sensitivity of face detection. Set the sensitivity higher will decrease the false alarm rate.

TRAVERSE VIRTUAL PLANE

Choose to linkage method as Notify Surveillance Center, Send Email, or Upload to FTP, and multi-selection is supported.

The traversing virtual plane function detects whether there

is an object going across the pre-defined virtual plane. And a series

of linkage method will be triggered if any object is detected.

Check the Enable Traversing Virtual Plane Detection checkbox.

(Optional)Check Dual-VCA

checkbox to enable the intelligent analysis in the data flow. It

enables the record files retrieval by both the front-end devices and

the back-end devices.

Click the Draw Area, and a virtual plane will show on the image.

You can click on the virtual plane to move it on the image to the desired position.

The two arrows show the direction rule of the virtual plane.

When you choose the direction as A<->B,

only the arrow on the B side shows; when an object going across the

plane with both direction can be detected and alarms are triggered.

When you choose the direction as A->B, only the object crossing the virtual plane in from the A side to the B side can be detected.

When you choose the direction as B->A, only the object crossing the virtual plane in from the B side to the A side can be detected.

Choose another virtual plane on the dropdown list to configure.

If you use Milestone XProtect, then yes, it shows up under hardware events for that camera as "Face appeared on camera 1" and "Face disappeared on camera 1". There's also ones for scene change and tampering, traversal as "region entrance" I assume for all the new motion detect methods. Pretty cool stuff for a low buck camera. In case anyone tries it but doesn't see this, then load the latest device pack. 7.3 is what I'm using.

My only other NVR software installed a the moment is BlueIris and it doesn't do camera side events. Also, if you have a camera with an SD card slot, or chose to do notification, sent to FTP or NAS recording, then you can leverage these new event features.

People complain that they get too many false alerts with motion detection, this may narrow it down for them.

I had been using using it and then it rather suddenly stopped working. I haven't had time to dig into why.

While it WAS working, I thought it was pretty cool and seems to function well.

Oddly, the option is only available in my Hikvision 2732 Dome. Not in my bullets or mini dome. However, it looks like an event option for all camers in xprotect... then again, I can't seem to get to fire anymore

Oddly, the option is only available in my Hikvision 2732 Dome. Not in my bullets or mini dome. However, it looks like an event option for all camers in xprotect... then again, I can't seem to get to fire anymore

The options are there on the web interface on my 2032 and 2132 units.

Hasn't this version been pulled? It doesn't seem to be available on any of the official Hikvision sites?

I wonder if this is why it was pulled.

I've noticed my cameras now have a higher average CPU load due to the extra work it is doing:

# ps fax -T | grep smart
1259 root       4:14 {ipc_smartDetCtr} /home/davinci

# uptime
11:39:21 up 13 days, 17:25,  0 users,  load average: 4.13, 4.19, 4.22

Average load used to be 3-3.5

Is it me, or the 5.1.6 version only had ensligh version? With 5.1.2 I did get many languages to choose from, but with 5.1.6 I only have english.

The higher average load might be the reason, but at the same time it would be expected due to the added functionality. In other words, if that's why they pulled it, I'd say they didn't do their homework properly in the first place.

However, if it has no other negative impact, then it should be OK to use this version. What is the forum consensus on this?

CBX ,

The higher cpu utilization you noticed, is that with face recognition and/or plane traversal, on or off? All my cameras are at 5.1.6 and I have noticed more sluggishness in the menu pages but I have yet to use either of those new features. Also is your busybox for the hikvision cameras still available for download? I want to work on the RTSP feed for compatibility with Honeywell's Tuxedo Touch Panel.

Steve

Sorry if this is a dumb questions... but how do i know if I have the English version of the camera OR the Chinese version (which is also English language).

I have 5.1.6 on 1 out of 4 of my cameras... I'd like to upload it to the rest but I'm afraid to upload the wrong one and brick it.

Sorry if this is a dumb questions... but how do i know if I have the English version of the camera OR the Chinese version (which is also English language).

I have 5.1.6 on 1 out of 4 of my cameras... I'd like to upload it to the rest but I'm afraid to upload the wrong one and brick it.

You'll not brick your camera if you try to update it from the web interface. If you use the English 5.1.6 version, and the camera is Chinese, you'll get a message saying something like "language mismatch".

You could also try to turn on the day of week in the OSD settings. If the camera is Chinese, you'll get the name of the day in Chinese letters in the text overlay.

If you have CH in your serial number it's the Chinese version. If you've put 5.1.6 on yourself and your camera is still in English (replacing any hacked files the supplier put on), then you have a English version camera (unless you used my region change program).

The higher average load might be the reason, but at the same time it would be expected due to the added functionality.

Yes totally correct - the new program thread in my post is evidence of this. The camera is doing more work. That is probably OK and my cameras are doing more still with NFS server functionality, ssh server etc which is not standard.

It's hard to know why they pulled it, but in my mind the extra functionality is reserved for the advaned smart series of their new cameras. I'm happy to be told I'm wrong by someone who knows Hikvision though

Also is your busybox for the hikvision cameras still available for download? I want to work on the RTSP feed for compatibility with Honeywell's Tuxedo Touch Panel.

Steve

No it's been pulled due to an issue with 5.1.6. And it didn't have everything enabled in it anyway due to library/compilation issues.

I do make software for these cameras according to people's need these days, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

Looks Chinese due to label.

But look in web interface and you will see full serial number:

e.g. DS-2CD2032-I20140619CCCH123456789

CH = Chinese factory version.

Ok. Well the upgrade went well. However I continue having trouble getting Face detection to actually do anything.

I tried setting up email alerts directly on the camera to see if the problem is in milestone but I got stuck there with this error message: The network gateway is not configured, and this may cause the failure of email sending.

Is there a way in milestone to verify that events are actually being received? Likewise, is there a good way on the camera to veryify it's creating an event? Incidentally, motion detection works fine on the camera and Milestone. I have already tried deleting an re-adding the camera. No love.

Yes sir, that it is.

Interestingly enough it displays the day of the week in English.

I was wondering if you wanted a dump of the firmware to examine.

Yes sir, that it is.

If it's showing English day of the week and English menus on 5.1.6 that you have put on yourself (not that it came with) without my region changer program or manual file hacks then you have an English factory version camera

If all of the above not the case then probably not

You can always check if you want by putting on original non hacked 5.1.6 yourself or new firmware when released, but be aware your camera might then have Chinese menus and OSD.

Yes sir, that it is.

If it's showing English day of the week and English menus on 5.1.6 that you have put on yourself (not that it came with) without my region changer program or manual file hacks then you have an English factory version camera

If all of the above not the case then probably not

I'm not sure what you are saying.

I haven't done anything to the camera, it came with 5.16 on it and displays all OSD in English.

You can always check if you want by putting on original non hacked 5.1.6 yourself or new firmware when released, but be aware your camera might then have Chinese menus and OSD.

I'd rather not try anything until I know what exactly I have.