buellwinkle

Hikvision Face Detection and Line Traversal in 5.1.6

So is the general consensus from people that these new feature work?

On my 2732, it worked out of the box and then mysteriously stopped. Today I did a fresh install of Milestone to see if that was issue. No go. Then I set the camera back to factory default. And Voila!

Then, I started playing with image settings to see exavtly what was causing it to start failing. I changed quality from medium to High and notifications for face detection stopped working. So I figured I'd found the issue--quality must be set to medium or below.... EXCEPT, when I set it back to medium, Face detection was still not working. I even tried reseting the camera again. I managed to get 1 notification before it once again stopped working.

It's too bad. I'd love to trigger notification on Face detection instead of email... I'm impressed with both Milestone and Hikvision but the flood of emails is overwhelming.

I'd rather not try anything until I know what exactly I have.

I believe you have a Chinese factory version camera that the supplier put hacked files on so it would show in English.

The CH part in your serial indicates the Chinese factory version.

I'd rather not try anything until I know what exactly I have.

I believe you have a Chinese factory version camera that the supplier put hacked files on so it would show in English.

The CH part in your serial indicates the Chinese factory version.

my camera has just arrived from the aliexpress seller mentioned in a few threads, ch serial number but has multilanguage when logging in via web browser and date and time are in english, so guess they have hacked or flashed as CBX mentioned.

i would also think then that i dont want to flash pr update when a new release lands as it would revert back to chinese ?

my camera has just arrived from the aliexpress seller mentioned in a few threads, ch serial number but has multilanguage when logging in via web browser and date and time are in english, so guess they have hacked or flashed as CBX mentioned.

Yep.

i would also think then that i dont want to flash pr update when a new release lands as it would revert back to chinese ?

Unless you either change the camera factory region, or manually patch/hack the firmware you put on, then you are correct.

I have Chinese versions of the DS-2CD2732F-I(S), DS-2CD2032-I, and DS-2CD2532F-ISW. All have English firmware. I've been playing around with them for a few days trying to get either the facial recognition or the virtual plane traversal to work, and all to no avail. Not too sure if it's the camera not sending it, or the fact that Surveillance Station on the Synology doesn't recognize/support it.

I checked the Synology support page, and it says that Alarm support is available for both of those cameras.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot to determine if it's the camera or the NAS? I would love to be able to cut down on the amount of false recordings I get on motion detection and the idea of virtual plane traversal makes a lot of sense to me.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Regards,

Matt

One problem I had was that by default, the arming schedule for those events in the Hikvision admin setting is empty. In other words, it was never armed.

Once I figured that out, I got it working however, I have found it to be very flaky and not particularly useful... yet.

PS I am testing via Milestone.

I have Chinese versions of the DS-2CD2732F-I(S), DS-2CD2032-I, and DS-2CD2532F-ISW. All have English firmware. I've been playing around with them for a few days trying to get either the facial recognition or the virtual plane traversal to work, and all to no avail. Not too sure if it's the camera not sending it, or the fact that Surveillance Station on the Synology doesn't recognize/support it.

I checked the Synology support page, and it says that Alarm support is available for both of those cameras.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot to determine if it's the camera or the NAS? I would love to be able to cut down on the amount of false recordings I get on motion detection and the idea of virtual plane traversal makes a lot of sense to me.

Regards,

Matt

I haven't been able to get it working either (DS-2CD2032-I into Synology SS). Given that other people have it working with Milestone it's most likely a SS issue. If you manage to figure it out, please post and tell me how! Thanks.

Regards,

Matt

I haven't tried 5.1.6, but I am using my cameras (older firmware) with Surveillance Station, and motion detection by the cameras, which is working (but it is difficult to avoid a lot of false detections if you also want to catch real action).

I think you need to verify if regular motion detection works first, and if it does, the more advanced detection features *should* also work, since then you know that the cameras are able to signal to Surveillance Station that a recording should be made.

Hmm. Weird. When I woke up today, saw TONS of recordings. Seems like the motion detection was reset from what I had it to. The area was drawn 100% and the sensitivity was 100% as well.

Might be a silly question, but in my summation, if I want the camera to just use plane traversal and not motion detection, I'm ok to have the motion detection toggle turned OFF correct? I'm just making sure I do not need to leave that toggle ON so that the following tabs work.

I'll try one camera with it on, and one off...see which one works

EDIT: Well, I tried both with motion detection on and with it off. All to no avail. I suspect I may not be able to get this to work. I guess I'll just have to tweak the motion detection settings until I get the happy medium where I'm getting a bearable amount of false hits without missing anything....

Hmm. Weird. When I woke up today, saw TONS of recordings. Seems like the motion detection was reset from what I had it to. The area was drawn 100% and the sensitivity was 100% as well.

Might be a silly question, but in my summation, if I want the camera to just use plane traversal and not motion detection, I'm ok to have the motion detection toggle turned OFF correct? I'm just making sure I do not need to leave that toggle ON so that the following tabs work.

I'll try one camera with it on, and one off...see which one works

EDIT: Well, I tried both with motion detection on and with it off. All to no avail. I suspect I may not be able to get this to work. I guess I'll just have to tweak the motion detection settings until I get the happy medium where I'm getting a bearable amount of false hits without missing anything....

I've tried the same here (motion detection on and off) and neither work too. In terms of false hits, I've managed to get mine down to zero on all my cameras. Use Expert Mode, set daytime sensitivity to 15 (anything above gives me false positives with sun/clouds. Anything below and detection is missed) and set the percentage of the area to a suitable 'human' size. Nighttime false hits are more of a problem though.

I've updated my cameras to the new 5.1.6, and I tried getting some of the new features to work, but to no avail.

I am using Surveillance Station on a NAS as the recording device, and I can set up motion detection (using expert mode) in the cameras. When the cameras detect motion, they'll signal SS to start recording, which does work.

However, it looks to me like the new intrusion detection and line traversal options (but according to the release notes, these are mutually exclusive) could be a better fit for my needs, but I was unable to get any of those to work.

Are there any special tricks needed to get this working? I think I've tried most combinations of options, but no dice.

Are you talking about the June 2014 build of 5.1.6 released a few days ago?

On mine plane traversal and instrusion detection (which can be enabled at the same time, but not face detection) work fine and record fine.

If you are on the June 2014 5.1.6, then maybe reset the config of your camera and see if that helps?

I'm on the latest/new 5.1.6 build, and I have tried resetting the config (except user and ip info).

To use intrusion detection and line traversal, should the normal/regular motion detection be enabled or disabled? Does the "Dynamic analysis for motion" work, so that you can see when the above mentioned features are triggered?

It could be that those features does not want to send the events to Surveillance Station (even though regular motion detection does), and that I'd have to do a NFS setup to get it working, but that would be a bit annoying.

I have motion detection enabled on mine.

Searching the log also shows when instrusion det or plane traversal are triggered.

On mine the log is empty, even if motion events have been triggered. I suspect this is because I don't use NFS/FTP, it just alerts Surveillance Station to make a recording.

Does the "Dynamic analysis for motion" work, so that you can see when the above mentioned features are triggered?

It works on 5.1.2 on mine, even without using any of the other motion detect features. You have to enable it in 2 different places, though. From the manual:

Check the checkbox of Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion if you want to

mark the detected objects with green rectangles.

Note: Select Disable for rules if you don’t want the detected objected

displayed with the rectangles. Select disable from Configuration-Local

Configuration-Live View Parameters-rules.

On mine the log is empty, even if motion events have been triggered. I suspect this is because I don't use NFS/FTP, it just alerts Surveillance Station to make a recording.

I would have thought the event would be logged, even if no recording was made by the camera itself.

But I only use NFS and SD so it's just my guess based upon the way the program tends to work.

If you want to test, share a blank 8Gb+ USB stick on Windows, and use it as a NAS share on the camera. If it records mot det videos on to it, but not the smart mot det ones, then I don't think the problem is anything to do with your Surveillance Station.

Ok, I've done some more testing, and I've concluded that there is no way to have anything other than regular (normal or expert) motion detection to get Surveillance Station to trigger. Line traversal, face detection and intrusion detection will not trigger under any circumstances.

I then experiented a bit with setting up NFS on the NAS, and the cameras can connect just fine, but after initializing/"formatting" the NFS drive, it goes back to uninitialized, and it doesn't work. I've since discovered that this is a known bug, and that you have to patch the davinci file to fix it (or have a completely empty volume for the camera). I haven't done so, at least not yet.

Then I did as you suggested, and shared a USB stick on a Windows computer, and set that up for storage on one of the cameras. With this setup I can get both line traversal and intrusion detection to work, and what is more, now it is possible to search the log. My assumption that the log needed external storage to work was therefore correct.

I'm a bit annoyed by this, because it just seems easier to have all this centralized in Surveillance Station, instead of having to scrub each camera for events. I guess the real solution is to move everything to a dedicated computer or NVR, running some other software (like Milestone or something).

Two additional observations:

If I set up a shared folder on the NAS, and then connect to this folder using SMB/CIFS (not NFS!) in the camera, the camera will actually respect the quota for the user I set up. In other words, I can set up one unique user per camera, and set a quota for each of those users.

This means the camera will only "see" the quota size for any folder, and it will only "format" this amount of space in the folder.

And another interesting observation is that when using the camera playback function, you can have it overlay the detection features (like line traversal and intrusion detection) and show which one was tripped. This could be helpful when trying to fine-tune the settings. To play back the video without these overlays, just disable "Rules" under the camera local configuration tab.

Ok, I've done some more testing, and I've concluded that there is no way to have anything other than regular (normal or expert) motion detection to get Surveillance Station to trigger. Line traversal, face detection and intrusion detection will not trigger under any circumstances.

That's been my experience too. Nothing I do gets Synology Surveillance Station capturing Traversal, Face Detection or Intrusion Detection.

That's been my experience too. Nothing I do gets Synology Surveillance Station capturing Traversal, Face Detection or Intrusion Detection.

Just for reference, which version of DSM and Surveillance Station are you running? I'm still on DSM 4.3 and SS 6.1-2976. DSM 5 has the awful new UI and seemingly a lot of bugs, so I haven't updated.

I think the newer versions (6.3-xxxx) of Surveillance Station has better native support for these cameras, have you tried that? I'm using the PSIA mode in Surveillance Station for mine (with ONVIF I can't have motion detection by the cameras, and the native mode works no better than PSIA).

I am using the new 6.3.3341 in PSIA mode and the new traversal doesn't seem to trigger SS to record.

I am also noticing that the cameras are no longer recording to the NFS even though the disk is normal and working.

Just for reference, which version of DSM and Surveillance Station are you running? I'm still on DSM 4.3 and SS 6.1-2976. DSM 5 has the awful new UI and seemingly a lot of bugs, so I haven't updated.

I think the newer versions (6.3-xxxx) of Surveillance Station has better native support for these cameras, have you tried that? I'm using the PSIA mode in Surveillance Station for mine (with ONVIF I can't have motion detection by the cameras, and the native mode works no better than PSIA).

I'm using the latest 6.3.3341 (+DSM 5, latest version) with the Hik driver from the device pack.

Ok, that means it doesn't work in the newer versions of SS either. That's a pity, because it looks like line traversal and intrusion detection might be better than general motion detection. At least in theory.