Tegguy

First Security Camera System

Hello everyone.....my wife and I recently built a new house and when we did so I pre wired the 1st floor for 4 security cameras back porch, front porch, garage, and hallway figuring I can expand later easily on the second floor. I had cat 5e ran to all locations with the intent of running POE Cameras. We want to start looking at options to setup at least 3 locations (Front, back and garage) however, I have no idea what would be good to buy. I'll need Cameras and an NVR.

What can you recommend without breaking the bank? If I could stay under $750 would be ideal the cheaper the better but I don't want something that will die on me either. I'd like software that will send sms/e-mail alerts when motion is detected. I'll need good low light/night visibility probably 50 feet+ would be ideal

Thank You

Probably IP cameras/NVR from Hikvision, its currently the best value for its price right now. 3 MP cameras each are about $170-190 for US version.

3 x cameras + 1 x 4 ch NVR (for similpicity sake's) + 1 TB at least for $750 might be a stretch, you still need POE switch or get NVR with built-in POE which will be more expensive...you can save money if you have hard drives laying around.

SMS with motion detection will fill up your email box super fast. Better off doing actual PIR (passive infrare) motion detection and connecting that to the alarm input of the NVR. But its up to you, i myself tried to use the motion detection but just got too many false alarms.

FWIW,

Those Hikvision cameras are excellent value for the price. Paired with the NVR is the easiest way to go. I believe some of their models include a POE switch in the NVR. Swann at Costco is Hikvision. I'm not sure how it compares with the 3mp models mentioned but that might also be a cost effective way to go. W

Can anyone point me at specific models or at least mention the features to look out for?

I don't follow how the alarm output on the NVR works.

Sorry complete newbie here