Mad Professor

Xvision X100V Outdoor IP CCTV Camera - Not Responding

Good day all.

I am looking for help and advice with regards to on going problems with my Xvision X100V Outdoor IP CCTV Camera.

I brought the Xvision X100V Outdoor IP CCTV Camera back in January 2012 for £490.00 from an online retailer.

The camera is powered via POE, and is the only POE device on the POE Switch.

Within 6 months the camera started to act up. where the video feed and the web interface would just stop working, but you was able to ping the ip address of the camera and get a response. The only way to recover the camera and for it to start working again was to disconnect the network cable from the POE Switch and reconnect again.

Some times the camera became very slow and unresponsive but recovered it's self.

But now it looks like the camera no longer wants to play ball.

I am getting no video feed, no web interface, and no ping response from the camera. even discounting and reconnecting it from the POE no longer fixes the problem.

The camera is mounted on the outside of a building with no direct access to it, the only way to gain access to it would be to rent and erect a scaffold tower.

xvision / ipcctv listed the camera as having a 2 year warranty, I am now outside of that warranty and don't know what to do.

The X100V camera is no longer listed on xvision / ipcctv web site, and I wonder if this is due to known faults with the units.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

How long is your cable run, and what's the power draw on the camera?

If there's a cable problem, like a marginal crimp or connector problems, these can get worse over time until the camera stops working. Likewise, problems in the junction box (or whatever protects the connections at the camera end) could contribute.

Unfortunately, this is hard to test without getting up to the cam, though you could re-crimp the switch end easily. One test would be to run a new cable temporarily to the camera to see if it starts working again, but if you're up at the cam, it would be worth re-crimping a new connector just for grins.

If you're going to go up to the cam, you might as well bite the bullet and buy a replacement and swap it out while you're up there. You can get better specs for a lot less money now.

Would you be able to get at it with a cherry picker? That should be cheaper than erecting scaffolding.

Thanks for your reply.

The cable run is <25m using CAT6 cable, from memory the cable was fully pre-moulded, not hand made.

I do not know the power consumption of the camera via POE as that is not listed in the spec sheet, only the normal power adaptor and that is listed as 12v at 500ma (6w).

I am powering the X100V via a Netgear ProSafe GS108P 8-Port (4x PoE) Gigabit Switch, Each port is rated at 15.4w, and the X100V is the only POE device is connected.

Sounds like everything should be able to handle it, according to spec. That's typical power draw these days, the cable length is fine, and the switch should have plenty of power.

This makes me think it's one of a few things:

- The connection at the camera, especially if there's been any water leakage, bugs getting into the junction box, or whatever. That would require getting up to the camera and inspecting the connection.

- The camera's dying. Not much to be done here except swap it out.

- The POE switch is having problems. You could try a different POE port, a different POE switch, or one of the non-POE ports with an injector.

If you decide to replace the camera, it's probably a good idea to test it on the bench for a week.

I don't think there is any water leakage, Looking at the camera from the ground there is no signs of water or condensation on the inside of the camera dome, But I can't be 100% sure unto such time that I can get up to the camera it's self.

On the front of the Switch the POE LED for the camera port is on, and the 100M link LED for the same port is also on.

The CCTV camera IR LED's also turn on at night.

But so far have been unable to get any connection data from the CCTV camera.

I have tried swapping the port on the POE switch, with the same affect as before.

Today I once again powered down the poe network switch, and swap around all the ports.

When I powered the switch back on the poe led light for the port that the camera came on, but the network link status led for that port never came on.

I can only come to the conclusion that the X100V has now totally failed, and as such will have to find a suitable replacement camera.

When I do take down the failed unit, I will post my findings as this might help anyone else having the same kind of issues.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards.