DKtucson

ISP reporting bandwith overage

Hello,

I recently setup a home DVR with HD-SDI cameras and a DVR from China. The DVR uses xmeye/VMeye cloud service for remote view either by IE web browser or smartphone app. Cox is the internet provider and they gave my client a tap on the shoulder that their monthly bandwith usage was 545GB (lordy). The are away from home, no house sitter or teenagers streaming movies etc. I have a full D1 dvr also of generic chinese make but uses dyndns.org addy for access--I also have a gob of stuff running (terminal server for quickbooks, ftp server , wife has netflix etc) and we use about 80gb a month.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless someone is connecting to the cameras for viewing in either a browser or smartphone then it really shouldn't be gobbling up 1's & 0's

Thanks Shockwave...my thought is, even if they were viewing it all the time their wireless provider would have cut them off--they would be receiving 545gb on their phone/mobile plan--yikes!!

I have an email in to them about 30 mins ago to check that..they took the wife's laptop and that had 2 bookmarks-- a "local view" at 192.168.XX.XX and a remote view at the xmeye website

Hi if cloud is set on recorder ..... Or if from china not disabled in menu it will get to it's limit in days

Cloud might be set 24/7 ..... Should set for alarm only or motion if set up to not give problems

Thanks everyone for the replies.. there is no cloud storage..just view. The Xmeye service is the DVR vendors own DDNS. It takes the serial number of the unit/ip address and makes it available for remote viewing in either IE or android/i-phone app VMeye Super. The house is currently vacant--the owner is a friend of mine here in Tucson, AZ and he avoids the summer heat by going to a vacation condo in San Diego for the summer. No one at the house-- no Roku TV running, no torrents seeding or other stuff.

My question and answer from the vendor SECTEC in china:

is it constantly consuming bandwith even though no computer or smartphone is requesting data?

No ,it will not if without any request data

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, if someone was doing a browser view and asked to record locally--then it would be uploading data stream to the cloud and back down to that remote viewer of course.

The dvr is set to record only on motion event

If "cloud enable" is unchecked it's not accessible at all remotely

I'll have my friend call cox internet & see if thats uploaded or downloaded data--good call. I called my ISP and they were of an opinion that no way would a dvr gobble up the much bandwith--likely someone has his wifi password and is streaming video /netflix etc

Many ISP's (here in the UK at least) will be able to tell you what type of usage the data was/is. i.e. standard web, streaming, P2P, gaming, etc.

aha.. the plot thickens..the friend has 2 systems--one at his home (vmeye china dvr) and a pc based unit at his office running TimHillOne... the home ISP is Simply Bits..the Office is Cox so the cinese DVR is not the culprit. The pc based unit uses dyndns.org addy and was used at the house until we upgraded that location to the hd-sdi system.

The pc based dvr was never an issue with bandwith when in use at the house.

Mixing of terminology--when the client emailed me initially he stated that the isp was saying he's way over his bandwith he asked if the fault could be with "the dvr"--I assumed the new chinese dvr as this is the "new kid on the block" and would be suspect of any new quirky behavior .

Likely his wifi was hacked