unclerandy

How do I stop the IR flash off the wall?

The system is from Costco. Swann 8 camera NVR (Poe) 3MP 1080p cameras. On one side of our house is a narrow walk way. I have two cameras facing in both directions. At night the IR reflection off the wall lights up the wall great but then everything else is pitch black. Is there a solution or trick to fix this. I realize pointing it further away from the wall would probably be the obvious fix but would defeat the purpose of this locations needs. Please help. Thanks

847935477_Randy_Randy_IPCamera04_20140624002501_1658055.jpg.c18527bc2111738f2195cab8b79f2f27.jpg

The system is from Costco. Swann 8 camera NVR (Poe) 3MP 1080p cameras. On one side of our house is a narrow walk way. I have two cameras facing in both directions. At night the IR reflection off the wall lights up the wall great but then everything else is pitch black. Is there a solution or trick to fix this. I realize pointing it further away from the wall would probably be the obvious fix but would defeat the purpose of this locations needs. Please help. Thanks

I'm not sure if the Swann cameras have the same settings as the Hikvision camera's but I had a similar problem with one of my Hikvision 3MP domes.

The Hikvision cameras have a setting called SMART IR which lowers the IR output if the amount of light on the subject is bright enough but it has the effect of making dark areas even darker. It is particularly unhelpful if like yourself you have a highly reflective object in the field of view which tends to cause the IR power to drop and then it fails to properly illuminate the dark areas.

I turned the setting OFF on my camera and it solved the issue.

"I realize pointing it further away from the wall would probably be the obvious fix but would defeat the purpose of this locations needs. "

This is the solution. No reason to have so much wall in the shot

Another solution would be to disable the on-board IR and use an external illuminator. This lets you point the camera where you want without having the IR pointed at the same center of view.

I'm not sure if the Swann cameras have the same settings as the Hikvision camera's but I had a similar problem with one of my Hikvision 3MP domes.

The Hikvision cameras have a setting called SMART IR which lowers the IR output if the amount of light on the subject is bright enough but it has the effect of making dark areas even darker. It is particularly unhelpful if like yourself you have a highly reflective object in the field of view which tends to cause the IR power to drop and then it fails to properly illuminate the dark areas.

I turned the setting OFF on my camera and it solved the issue.

I am using the Swann NVR and according software. Would you be able to direct me to the settings where the smart IR might be?

Would you be able to direct me to the settings where the smart IR might be?

You need to access the camera directly via its' ip address. There is information on this site (and others) for how to do this.

You could also rotate the lens (assuming you have the bullet style camera housing), so that you have a taller but thinner image. The more recent HIKVision firmware has a rotate option so it displays upright - just not sure whether Swann have this yet.

Smart IR is the culprit here.

Which is odd because the default Smart IR should be off...at least in the new firmware.

How to do it?

1. plug laptop into poe switch

2. set network on laptop to be same as the poe switch

3. access the camera by their local ip address, which is assigned by the poe switch

4. after you logged in, go to configuration->Image->Day/Night switch, turn off the Smart IR, and it should save automatically.

Do you need to protect the wall from graffiti or something?

You could always demolish the wall or paint it..?

Actually, I think building a hobbit hole out of that wall might be the best solution to this problem:

_DCOrHc-tKI

Edited by Guest

Which is odd because the default Smart IR should be off...at least in the new firmware.

How to do it?

3. access the camera by their local ip address, which is assigned by the poe switch

4. after you logged in, go to configuration->Image->Day/Night switch, turn off the Smart IR, and it should save automatically.

Do you mean plug the laptop into the NVR? There is no separate switch so can you amend the directions accordingly? The cameras are there on that side of the house because there are bedroom windows and it also allows access to the back yard. There were previous break-ins at this property before we bought the house.

Why cant you turn the camera to cancel out most of the wall?. The current position makes no sense to me. Example:

ex.jpg.37c3c83647fab176c161fc7f73baa8df.jpg

Edited by Guest

Why cant you turn the camera to cancel out most of the wall?. The current position makes no sense to me.

Its a narrow walk way. I have the cameras high enough so they cant be easily reached and one in each direction. If I were to turn them outward away from the wall it would just film the neighbors side yard and not my own.

1570245728_Randy_Randy_IPCamera04_20140624131704_61839.thumb.jpg.72530889236a36b956650f29ef0496f7.jpg

I realize pointing it further away from the wall would probably be the obvious fix but would defeat the purpose of this locations needs. Please help. Thanks

This.

Its a narrow walk way. I have the cameras high enough so they cant be easily reached and one in each direction. If I were to turn them outward away from the wall it would just film the neighbors side yard and not my own.

You would film your neighbors yard instead of your wall.

Another hint (which you might or might not like); turn the camera 90º, so it shows you a vertical image.

How to do it?

Do you mean plug the laptop into the NVR? There is no separate switch so can you amend the directions accordingly? The cameras are there on that side of the house because there are bedroom windows and it also allows access to the back yard. There were previous break-ins at this property before we bought the house.

Is your NVR the ones with built-in POE? or you are using separate POE switch? If its built-in POE, plug your laptop into one of the POE ports. (you might have to take out one camera first)

If its separate POE you can plug it into the router and access the cameras.

Why cant you turn the camera to cancel out most of the wall?. The current position makes no sense to me.

In which case also rotate the camera 90 degrees to give you a narrower field of view, then you can use the software to rotate the image back.

rotate.jpg.3d2031fbfbe23cb4a4e1e1e283ef6c7c.jpg

i have the exact same issue, the solution is to turn on BLC, and play around with where to focus the back light compensation. The wall will still be bright, but it wont be dark in the other area anymore.

In which case also rotate the camera 90 degrees to give you a narrower field of view, then you can use the software to rotate the image back.

How does that affect stored video, is it stored sideways?

If so, can it be converted for export to disc?

Rotate the cameras and all your going to get is same image rotated

No offense, but since when PoE switches assign IP addresses?

If the NVR is PoE, the NVR will assign IPs!

If I were to turn them outward away from the wall it would just film the neighbors side yard and not my own.

Yet, 1/3 of your image is useless... Do you think you will ever have any motion or something good to record in that 1/3 part of the image that is a vertical, white, static wall?

How to do it?

Is your NVR the ones with built-in POE? or you are using separate POE switch? If its built-in POE, plug your laptop into one of the POE ports. (you might have to take out one camera first)

If its separate POE you can plug it into the router and access the cameras.

The NVR is built in POE. After the laptop is plugged into one of the camera ports can you give me directions from there?

What software are you referring to that I can rotate the image? Can you provide the directions to do this?

i have the exact same issue, the solution is to turn on BLC, and play around with where to focus the back light compensation. The wall will still be bright, but it wont be dark in the other area anymore.

Is BLC a feature on my Swann NVR already? Ive gone through all the settings I and haven't come across that feature or setting. Can you tell me where to find it?

If I were to turn them outward away from the wall it would just film the neighbors side yard and not my own.

Yet, 1/3 of your image is useless... Do you think you will ever have any motion or something good to record in that 1/3 part of the image that is a vertical, white, static wall?

Well.....when you put it that way I feel really stupid. I think my concern is that the walkway view quality is the best possible by being in the main field of view. Also I didn't want the neighbor to see an aggressive angle towards their "privacy".