Sign in to follow this  
friendfoe29

GoPro as security camera?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still debating on what to use as a power source

to power a digital camera in my car to record during night.

I came across this:

BLACK+DECKER Tools | 500 Watt AC/DC Portable Power Station /Jump-Starter /Compressor PPRH5B

It seems that I can put this in my car and plug in a digital camera to record all night.

OR

what do you think about using a GoPro camera? I don't know much about them except they are quite durable, versatile, and have many accessories. One accessory I found was a battery bac pack which is basically an extra battery that can be hooked up to the GoPro and doubling it's recording time from 2.5 hours to about 5 hours.

Do you think I should just get a GoPro and use it as a camera for surveillance? Or should I get one of those power stations and use that? The benefit of the power station is that it also jump starts cars, has emergency lights, and compressor (for tires).

Not sure if the GoPro also has night vision or not.

Hmm, but I don't want to hook it up to anything, no streaming, no wires, no wireless, no IP cameras...just a standalone surveillance unit.

After doing some more research, I don't think gopro would be good for it since its a very expensive camera and simple P&S digital camera would do.

The main issue I have is how to keep the camera recording and powered up for 8 hours straight? No camera battery can last that long. No camera that I know of allows you to hook up 2 batteries and double your battery time, EXCEPT the gopro, which was why i was inquiring about it in the first place.

I was thinking about perhaps using one of those POWER STATIONS that are generally used to jumpstart cars or people who go camping take it with them to power up radios, a small tv, or even computers. Do you think a power station would be more suitable for what I need? I could charge the power station all day, then move it into my car at night and plug in my cheap digital camera and record all night for 8 hours? Not sure if this works?

Not that would even remotely want to recommend a GoPro for a security camera. Think about how much time you are going to waste managing and reviewing video.

You could use a USB battery pack to power the GoPro to increase run time.

249716_1.jpg