ednetwork

Intellex LT 4.31 Rebooting on application launch

Hi,

I've had to restore my DVR system and have upgraded to the most current 4.3 patch 7 Intellex software. When the system starts up and loads the Intellex software, it reboots the system and I get stuck in a loop unless I hold the ctrl key down to stop the software from loading. The windows install seems to be fine but I have noticed device manager shows two items with question marks which I can only assume means no driver has been loaded for them:

-Multimedia Controller

-PCI Simple Communications Controller

I don't see the camera card in the list so is it safe to assume that is what is causing the issue? I've seen other posts advising card drivers are on the American Dynamics website, but I don't see them there. Maybe under SV Drivers but it asks for a password I do not have.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ed

PROD CODE: ADD600LTPV050

in device manager can you select the problem device - right click select properties then details tab- select hardware lds in top dropdown box. This will give you some information on the device- you can google it and see if you can download the drivers for each item in question, then update drivers and see if device shows ok.

Lets back up few steps and figure out exactly what you are doing...

You are mentioning that you restored version 4.3 patch 7 Intellex software... what is this mean? Are you attempting to get version 4.3 to operate in Window 7 or something else?

What was your Intellex version prior of this restore?

Did you try to replace the motherboard may be?

You are mentiong that device manager shows two items with question marks which I can only assume means no driver has been loaded for them:

-Multimedia Controller

-PCI Simple Communications Controller

This is ok... as the driver for "Multimedia controller" refers to system capture card called VACD card... PCI simple communication on the other hand could be a driver issue... but if you have done correct restore process, then this should not occur...

Just share some more info and I am sure we can figure it out.

Bit of the back story:

I’m still relatively new to job but have been in IT for many years. We have an Intellex LT dvr system which I had never connected to or used but now it’s broken, so it’s my problem.

The diagnosis was pretty straight forward, the hdd was making funky noises, wasn’t booting and needed to be replaced. So I put in a new drive (sata 80gb). All looks well at this point. Then I search the network for anything intellex, hoping to find and install or backup. I find two recovery disk images that look like they are version 4.0 (at this point I don’t know what version the system was previously running). So great, I load up the cds and it installs without issue. I then get to the point to enter in the serial information and it doesn’t work. After some googeling I find the prod code matches up to version 4.3. Looking on the American dynamics website, I find the upgrade files, apply them up to 4.3 patch 7, try my serial information again, and bingo.

So I reboot the system and now it automatically restarts when loading the Intellex software I’m able to access the embedded windows xp by holding the ctrl key at boot and everything looks good except those two hardware ?’s in device manager. I’m making the assumption that the intellex software will not run unless the multimedia control (input card) has the correct driver assigned to it, but I’m stumped as to where I can get this from.

Thanks for help.

Nice work buddy... some additional info that can help...

Bit of the back story:

I’m still relatively new to job but have been in IT for many years. We have an Intellex LT dvr system which I had never connected to or used but now it’s broken, so it’s my problem.

The diagnosis was pretty straight forward, the hdd was making funky noises, wasn’t booting and needed to be replaced. So I put in a new drive (sata 80gb). All looks well at this point. Then I search the network for anything intellex, hoping to find and install or backup. I find two recovery disk images that look like they are version 4.0 (at this point I don’t know what version the system was previously running). So great, I load up the cds and it installs without issue. I then get to the point to enter in the serial information and it doesn’t work. After some googeling I find the prod code matches up to version 4.3. Looking on the American dynamics website, I find the upgrade files, apply them up to 4.3 patch 7, try my serial information again, and bingo.

I am sure you meant the software key is what worked and not the serial number... serial number is irrelevant for this system... but software key located on the door of the system must match with MAC address.. thus you accomplished it very tactfully... This also means that your system was version 4.3 native...

So I reboot the system and now it automatically restarts when loading the Intellex software I’m able to access the embedded windows xp by holding the ctrl key at boot and everything looks good except those two hardware ?’s in device manager. I’m making the assumption that the intellex software will not run unless the multimedia control (input card) has the correct driver assigned to it, but I’m stumped as to where I can get this from.

The yellow "?" in device manager next to the driver confirms that your VACD card is present, but does not mean it is working... this is how its displayed anyway.

There are three other possibilities you can try as follows:

1. Resit the capture card - basically remove and reinstall it... sometimes if it is not making proper contact with PCI slot, it restarts and sometimes does not even respond. This happen a lot if the system is not handled with care. While at it, resit the video card as well and doublecheck all the connection and secure them properly.

2. Go to http://www.amercandynamics.net, create and account and there is a section that has all the patches, drivers and upgrades. Find the section called "Support" and from drop down menu, select software "Software Downloads". Select "Digital Video Recorders" and then "Intellex Ultra, DVMS, etc... on the right side you will see all the available upgrades, updates, patches and the drivers... Look for VACD driver updates... Even though when you upgraded your system from version 4.0 to versioni 4.3 and this process comes with the applicable VACD driver, it is possible that it is currupted... so, find it and install it..

If the above two septs do not work, then the problem is the VACD card (or the capture card)... This card is the most expensive part for this system... you probably can find it in ebay - I seen many sell them - ... ranging from $30 to up to $200.. all used, but according to ebay seller, tested and working. I never bought one from ebay, so I can not confirm either way if this may be a good source, but a source anyway. Brand new VACD cards complete goes for over $1,500... so, it makes sense to shop for some used one.

Thanks for help.

I’ve moved one step further. I followed your instructions for the vcard driver. At first it didn’t work, but it looks like the install throws the driver into sys32\drivers. Once I pointed the card to that driver, it installed and now shows as VACD5C Video Capture Board.

The system still boots fine when not loading the Intellex software, but whenever it does load either auto after restart or manual launching the application, it goes through the first splash screen, shows the copyright at the bottom then quickly closes all apps and sits on a grey screen for about 2 seconds before it reboots.

Should the Intellex application run if I take the capture board out? I want to take out as many variables as possible before having to replace the card.

I’ve been going through any logs I can find on the system. The windows logs don’t show any issues, but I’ve found two log locations for Intellex. One in tempdata and one in the logs folder. Below is a caption of both:

20140709-10.log

2014-07-09 11:57:04 (584) CompressorManager: Creating WIN2KFRONTEND

2014-07-09 11:57:04 (1832) Intellex: DbgLogger added to CrashRpt.

IntellexLauncherLog.txt

20140709 - 11:56:2 : WINAPI ThreadProc :Exiting Thread with exit Code 3

20140709 - 11:56:2 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : A thread exit signal came from one of the running Applications ran by the launcher. Closing Launcher

20140709 - 11:56:39 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : Opened file for logging

20140709 - 11:56:59 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : Process file :> C:\Windows\Intellex\Intellex.exe Working Dir :> C:\Windows\Intellex

20140709 - 11:56:59 : WINAPI ThreadProc :LAUNCHING APP : C:\Windows\Intellex\Intellex.exe .....

20140709 - 11:57:5 : WINAPI ThreadProc rocess exited with code 3

20140709 - 11:57:5 : WINAPI ThreadProc :Calling Reboot with exit Code 80007275

20140709 - 11:57:5 : Reboot : System Being Rebooted

20140709 - 11:57:5 : Reboot : calling ExitWindowsEx

20140709 - 11:57:5 : Reboot : ExitWindowsEx Succeded

20140709 - 11:57:5 : WINAPI ThreadProc :Exiting Thread with exit Code 3

20140709 - 11:57:5 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : A thread exit signal came from one of the running Applications ran by the launcher. Closing Launcher

I think an exit code 3 means the app cant find the directory, but I'm not sure where any config would be to check that.

Thanks again for your help.

Nice work...

I’ve moved one step further. I followed your instructions for the vcard driver. At first it didn’t work, but it looks like the install throws the driver into sys32\drivers. Once I pointed the card to that driver, it installed and now shows as VACD5C Video Capture Board.

So you have the correct driver... that is a good news.

The system still boots fine when not loading the Intellex software, but whenever it does load either auto after restart or manual launching the application, it goes through the first splash screen, shows the copyright at the bottom then quickly closes all apps and sits on a grey screen for about 2 seconds before it reboots.

Did you take out the VACD card and reinstalled it?? Also, check the RAM sticks... (perform RAM tests with some utility like memtest86 or similar)... Also, make sure you have at least 1GB RAM (two 512MB will suffice). Sometimes bad RAM stick will cause exact same restart issue...

Should the Intellex application run if I take the capture board out? I want to take out as many variables as possible before having to replace the card.

Without VACD card, the Intellex will not start and will restart...

I’ve been going through any logs I can find on the system. The windows logs don’t show any issues, but I’ve found two log locations for Intellex. One in tempdata and one in the logs folder. Below is a caption of both:

20140709-10.log

2014-07-09 11:57:04 (584) CompressorManager: Creating WIN2KFRONTEND

2014-07-09 11:57:04 (1832) Intellex: DbgLogger added to CrashRpt.

IntellexLauncherLog.txt

20140709 - 11:56:2 : WINAPI ThreadProc :Exiting Thread with exit Code 3

20140709 - 11:56:2 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : A thread exit signal came from one of the running Applications ran by the launcher. Closing Launcher

20140709 - 11:56:39 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : Opened file for logging

20140709 - 11:56:59 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : Process file :> C:\Windows\Intellex\Intellex.exe Working Dir :> C:\Windows\Intellex

20140709 - 11:56:59 : WINAPI ThreadProc :LAUNCHING APP : C:\Windows\Intellex\Intellex.exe .....

20140709 - 11:57:5 : WINAPI ThreadProc rocess exited with code 3

20140709 - 11:57:5 : WINAPI ThreadProc :Calling Reboot with exit Code 80007275

20140709 - 11:57:5 : Reboot : System Being Rebooted

20140709 - 11:57:5 : Reboot : calling ExitWindowsEx

20140709 - 11:57:5 : Reboot : ExitWindowsEx Succeded

20140709 - 11:57:5 : WINAPI ThreadProc :Exiting Thread with exit Code 3

20140709 - 11:57:5 : CIntellexLaunchDlg::OnInitDialog : A thread exit signal came from one of the running Applications ran by the launcher. Closing Launcher

I think an exit code 3 means the app cant find the directory, but I'm not sure where any config would be to check that.

Go to the config of the application and make sure it is pointing to the correct directory - I think in it should be pointing to Windows/Intellex/intellexlaunch.exe or something like it... In this same directory, there is a log directory showing a lot more details...

Thanks again for your help.

I have found 99% of the time when it gets stuck in this loop it is because the database is corrupt.

If you hold the control key to interrupt and once in windows, run the drive config from the desktop.

You will lose all the footage but it should solve your problem.

I apologize in advance for thread jacking but I stumbled on this thread looking for a solution. I have an old PC using the Network Client software to view 8 Intellix DVR's the PC is 7 years old. I have a new replacement PC for viewing video when I attempted to install the software (latest version from the website) the install stops and asks for a product ID, it is 20 digits long. I do not have any of the paperwork or CD's that came with the DVR's. Is there a place to locate that information on either the DVR or the client PC?

I apologize in advance for thread jacking but I stumbled on this thread looking for a solution. I have an old PC using the Network Client software to view 8 Intellix DVR's the PC is 7 years old. I have a new replacement PC for viewing video when I attempted to install the software (latest version from the website) the install stops and asks for a product ID, it is 20 digits long. I do not have any of the paperwork or CD's that came with the DVR's. Is there a place to locate that information on either the DVR or the client PC?

First, go back to your old PC and get the product ID (or serial number) for your Network Client. Also, check the version of that software. Once you have both piece of the info, then go to American Dynamics website and find the correct version of Network client and then install into new PC and use the same serial number found in old PC... Once done, then you can upgrade Network client to the latest version (I think it is 5.x at the moment) at no cost... the key is to make sure you have a valid license regardless of age. Once that is confirmed, then you can upgrade it to latest Network client version available at no cost to you... Otherwise, you have to buy new license.

Hope this helps.