Samir

System Challenge

To be self contained would really call for an ip camera with onboard sd card recording.

To be self contained would really call for an ip camera with onboard sd card recording.
Does a covert one like this exist?

I bet even a deer hunting camera or a dashcam for a car would work, but something designed for the cctv industry would probably be best.

There's the axis P1214 but it costs over $400
That's nice, but it has a dongle.
Multiple pieces again.

Size doesn't have to small. We can mount it where it is hard to spot. It just has to be self-contained and be capable of wifi and recording to itself on motion triggers. This way, we can set it and forget it. Whenever any movement occurs--email and recorded footage.

I think this trendnet one is close to what we need, but I don't know if it's the best thing out there:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887703-REG/Trendnet_TV_IP672W_Megapixel_PTZ_Wireless.html

That Trendnet may work but its hardly covert.

Also remember, when you buy a $70 camera compared to something more expensive, there's a reason it's cheaper.

That Trendnet may work but its hardly covert.

Also remember, when you buy a $70 camera compared to something more expensive, there's a reason it's cheaper.

Agreed, but the place I have in mind will make it difficult if not impossible to spot.

Quality is a concern, but at 5-10', do you think it will make a significant difference?

ok so here's what we did one time- similar scenario busy warehouse and impossible to fit covertly new cameras- client knew what area needed to be observed.

so we go in normal working hours and fit cameras around the place EXCEPT where its happening but we run cable route past this area and leave a spare wire to connect up a hidden covert camera within the area later on at night.

so we do a regular instal with a twist making it obvious by pointing cameras at the wrong area -NOT where the action is that we wish to catch- then do a night visit to add the covert camera pointing to the area we are suspicious of- this makes it a QUICK visit since all work done during day.

IT WORKED, we heard the staff laughing with us that the cameras wont catch anything- BUT THE COVERT CAMERA DID.

They were declaring burst industrial sized soap powder boxes and then instead of throwing them away they were filling them up with tobacco products first -then put them in the outside bin area and retrieved later on at night.

So maybe something similar could work for you.

And you would need to cover the access points for anyone trying to tamper with the power locations etc as you are already aware.

Good luck- lets know how it goes.

Just wanted to say this is awesome.

From my management perspective, I would do things to combat theft.

I would make a program which holds people accountable. I would also invest in more than just 4 cameras. Your loosing much more than the few hundred bucks a off the shelf system gets you. Have several. One should be watching the recording equipment period. One watching the till and one facing the customer. You should also have one as someone goes in the store and out. This gives you 3 chances to catch a robber. Also useful for credit card disputes

They best way to combat this issue is secure the equipment in a locked office or room and make it clear that if you are caught messing with the system or theft you will be terminated and charges will be pressed. Also the next part will deter tampering.

Another thing you might want to try is to take remote snap shots of employees and make them feel they are being watched. Take snapshots of issues, like trash on the floor, long lines, items not faced, etc. At a staff meeting hand them out and explain that remote audits will be conducted and employees involved with these audits will have conversations documented. If they know it goes offsite they wont mess around with the system.

You know that the recording is not working. Its time to be a bit proactive and watch when they don't know your watching. You also need to make sure to have good records of cash flow because just having them on camera wont show WHAT bill they took.

At minimum camera at all points of entry and exit. Cameras wherever cash is handled, camera watching recorder. AT LEAST 1.5 month(s) of recording time. You don't need 30FPS on all channels, 5 will be just enough, cash register maybe 7.5 fps. Proactively monitor and conduct random audits.

Use factors which make them feel they are being monitored all the time. They should NOT be able to see what the system is or is NOT capable of. When you catch one stealing. MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THEM!

Also watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzbspd7PYIc

From my management perspective, I would do things to combat theft.

I would make a program which holds people accountable. I would also invest in more than just 4 cameras. Your loosing much more than the few hundred bucks a off the shelf system gets you. Have several. One should be watching the recording equipment period. One watching the till and one facing the customer. You should also have one as someone goes in the store and out. This gives you 3 chances to catch a robber. Also useful for credit card disputes

They best way to combat this issue is secure the equipment in a locked office or room and make it clear that if you are caught messing with the system or theft you will be terminated and charges will be pressed. Also the next part will deter tampering.

Another thing you might want to try is to take remote snap shots of employees and make them feel they are being watched. Take snapshots of issues, like trash on the floor, long lines, items not faced, etc. At a staff meeting hand them out and explain that remote audits will be conducted and employees involved with these audits will have conversations documented. If they know it goes offsite they wont mess around with the system.

You know that the recording is not working. Its time to be a bit proactive and watch when they don't know your watching. You also need to make sure to have good records of cash flow because just having them on camera wont show WHAT bill they took.

At minimum camera at all points of entry and exit. Cameras wherever cash is handled, camera watching recorder. AT LEAST 1.5 month(s) of recording time. You don't need 30FPS on all channels, 5 will be just enough, cash register maybe 7.5 fps. Proactively monitor and conduct random audits.

Use factors which make them feel they are being monitored all the time. They should NOT be able to see what the system is or is NOT capable of. When you catch one stealing. MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THEM!

Also watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzbspd7PYIc

Really great advice, and since I originally posted this, we've done a lot of what you have mentioned.

The problem is the people involved. Thank God they all just quit. Now we have a clean, unadulterated crop of new people that we can put into our systems of checks and balances to keep honest. And all the while, we continue to add more checks and balances.

Glad to hear that you have everything under control

Thanks for the follow up

It's getting there, and a big thank you to everyone who gave ideas in this thread.