xavier4or

Suggestion for IP cameras / upgrade to Logitech alert camera

Hi – looking to upgrade my current Logitech Alert home security camera (1 indoor, 5 outdoor, all POE)…

I have been looking thru various forums today (lots of good info) and thought I would see if there is guidance or suggestions that might help me out.

Some of the camera / system requirements:

• Needs to support POE (I want to re-use the Cat 6a wire that I have already run)

• Want the camera to provide a “Windows desktop” camera SW (full feature), additional license fee ok if SW is good

• Want the camera to provide iOS and Android apps

• Looking for a mid-to-end high camera system. Around $500-700 a camera, weatherproof, night vision, SD card storage, etc…

I am thinking about the Digital Watchdog cameras, maybe:

http://digital-watchdog.com/products/?route=product/product&product_id=804

The cameras seem to be full feature and their SW seems pretty good. I download their DW Spectrum client for Windows and connected it to their demo cameras – and also downloaded their iOS and Android app. From a 10-15 min “test drive”, I was impressed.

Thank you for any guidance!

--Clay

first hand experience

i went from 6x logitech alert system, 6x external cameras, used 4 externally and 2 internally for over 2 years.

i am now using hikvision cameras, ~150 each for the most part or less, 2 varifocal bullets that were $250 each. Now running 11 Hikvision cameras ( still have a few i didn't set up yet)

using hikvision apps for monitoring. your choice of app for recording, i am using synology which is ok software but not the greatest as they come at a high cost. Happily using this setup for the past year now.

way improved picture quality amongst other things since upgrading from the logitech alert system.

Thanks - some of their cameras look pretty and within my price point.

Question - how did you decide on Hikvision?

I can find several comparison reviews on "basic" security cameras from logitech, samsung, dropcam, etc - but nothing on more professional / higher-end security cameras.

Thanks - some of their cameras look pretty and within my price point.

Question - how did you decide on Hikvision?

I can find several comparison reviews on "basic" security cameras from logitech, samsung, dropcam, etc - but nothing on more professional / higher-end security cameras.

i also have a few geovision cameras, and a dozen dahua cameras, but in the end i settled with hikvision, since they had better features and the interface was easier to work with. and constantly supported with new firmwares.

your best source for info would be forums such as this one. Hikvision cameras are generally well received, and raved about. For the price point, its very very hard to come close.

Thanks - i am starting to look at Hikvision and wondering if folks can point me to any reviews or demos. I am searching but can't find any 3rd party reports...

The Hikvision camera I am leaning towards is:

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=7670

It looks like a good higher end outdoor camera - but i haven't seen how their iVMS SW or iOS / Android apps are.

Thanks - i am starting to look at Hikvision and wondering if folks can point me to any reviews or demos. I am searching but can't find any 3rd party reports...

The Hikvision camera I am leaning towards is:

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=7670

It looks like a good higher end outdoor camera - but i haven't seen how their iVMS SW or iOS / Android apps are.

the best reviews you will find are on the forums. Not many people run 5mp cameras, although i am looking to pick one of those up eventually to get a wider view.

I run the 3 MP versions of the one you linked, costco sells them labeled as swann for $250 each.

The 2 i have have been very stable for the past year.

So any insight or things to consider about Hikvision and their 5 MP IR Network Bullet Camera? What are the biggest issues or complaints? Hard to set-up? Hardware or software issues?

And would you recommend any other cameras?

Thanks - really looking for guidance on what are some high-end cameras systems folks are using.