JohnnyBeGood

Bad video quality with Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I ?

Hi all,

Just finished setting up my new Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I and I'm little bit disappointing with video quality at night.

Is there anything I can change to improve quality? Because it does not come close to

or

TIA

2115790500_MojaCamera_Camera1_MojaCamera_20140712010503_2896242.thumb.jpg.6c070c229fe1275a26df7f160baa1796.jpg

Hi all,

Just finished setting up my new Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I and I'm little bit disappointing with video quality at night.

[attachment=0]Moja Camera_Camera1_Moja Camera_20140712010503_2896242.jpg[/attachment]

Is there anything I can change to improve quality? Because it does not come close to

or

TIA

It doesn't look like you have the IR switched on?

It doesn't look like you have the IR switched on?

Agree, I am quite sure the IR are not turned on. Check it on the config, or just walk to the camera at night to see if you see the IR leds glowing red.

As above IR not illuminated either a setting in software or your power supply is insufficient to power the array of infared led's.

After you change that, the camera has to switch modes or be rebooted. If you enable it at night, it won't turn the IR on until you switch to day and back or reboot. That's what I've read, anyway - I haven't tried it myself.

After you change that, the camera has to switch modes or be rebooted. If you enable it at night, it won't turn the IR on until you switch to day and back or reboot. That's what I've read, anyway - I haven't tried it myself.

You're right. After I enabled that I had to reboot camera and below is picture of that IR mode. Is this good as it gets or?

192_168.1.108_01_201407132214255.thumb.jpg.38121df3a79c0f87f062dba8983c265b.jpg

You can fine-tune it from there, but yes, that's the typical Hik 2xxx low-light image. Those horizontal lines are a Hik signature.

Many low-light improvements can degrade the daytime images, so a lot of people (including me) set up profiles to switch settings between day and night. Still not perfect, but better than nothing.

Here's what helps low-light images:

- Increasing noise reduction, which softens daytime images.

- Reducing sharpening. Sharpening the low-light noise causes the black and white dots (the white ones are most noticeable. This can also soften daytime images.

- Increase the maximum exposure rate from 1/30 sec to 1/12 or longer. This causes motion blur, but really improves the low light image. 1/30 will give some motion blur, like if someone's running by, but seems to be the best trade-off.

- Reducing contrast and adjusting brightness can help as well.

- WDR often increases low light noise, but a small amount of WDR can help bring the details out of the shadows.

Best bet is to go into the image controls and try them all one by one. I like to adjust them between 0, 25, 50, 75, 100, which makes it obvious what effect they have and which ones will help.

Then, you can start seeing how different settings affect each other. It takes some time, and it's good to keep detailed notes and screen shots with the different settings labeled, but this is how you get to understand the cam's capabilities and adjustments.