bradyboyy88

Using DD WRT router as to record video

Hello everyone!!

I have been looking into a cheaper solution for recording video from my hikvision cameras. One solution which has been very interesting to me is to try and use a router flashed with DD wrt to record. If you flash a router with dd wrt , it allows you to connect a external usb harddrive to the router to act as a NAS. I was wondering if it is possible to have the video stream to it and record? Has anyone ever streamed a Hikvision camera to a NAS and if so how? COuld be a very power effcicient method to record and the less hardware the better!

I have a netgear router which I flashed but I cant seem to find it haha, in the meantime it would be nice to know if this is possible before I tear my house apart tryign to find it

If you can setup a Samba (CIFS) or NFS share on it which you probably can, then yes

All the Hikvision camera I've seen and worked with can record to NFS or CIFS

But how about reviewing records? It becomes a PITA... No multichannel support, no motion-based event search... You'll get hundreds of hours of recordings with no way to manage them. Where's the catch?

But how about reviewing records? It becomes a PITA... No multichannel support, no motion-based event search... You'll get hundreds of hours of recordings with no way to manage them. Where's the catch?

The catch is how simplistic the idea is and how minimum of hardware there is lol. I mean the camera itself can record based on motion event I think. I havent toyed with it that much. It should be able to record all feeds tho. I know it would be a pain to have to go through everything but the NAS storage on dd wrt is accessible from any just like any other NAS. I mean for cheap people liike me its just a idea I was throwing out haha.

I do not know much about samba but after some googling it looks like its available for dd wrt. Do you load the NFS directly onto the router or load it into the external hard drive?

Take motion events. One video per motion event. 100 videos per day/camera. 400 videos/day/4 camera systems - played randomly with no help from a synced player.

What NFS stands for you?

I think there's some confusion here.

You wouldn't review the raw files from the hard disk - you would use the Hikvision camera interface which shows you all motion recorded events in a user friendly way.

Using this router is exactly the same as any other NAS device.

I think there's some confusion here.

You wouldn't review the raw files from the hard disk - you would use the Hikvision camera interface which shows you all motion recorded events in a user friendly way.

Using this router is exactly the same as any other NAS device.

That is what I was referring too. Just using the dd wrt loaded router as a NAS/storage device. The software side of viewing I would use the computer and load that network drive if possible into whatever software I was using.

Have you ever used a NAS? Do you install SAMBA onto the external drive or is that in the configuration device which in this is the router? This will be a first for me as I have neve rused a NAS before. Thanks

Just wanted to say that:

-if using NFS - the implementation in ddwrt is a little bit(or way more) slower than required by the camera

-if using FTP - that is faster, but FTP lacks the ability of space estimations, thus the camera will write until the HDD is full and stop

Just wanted to say that:

-if using NFS - the implementation in ddwrt is a little bit(or way more) slower than required by the camera

-if using FTP - that is faster, but FTP lacks the ability of space estimations, thus the camera will write until the HDD is full and stop

So nfs is not an option thus leaving only FTP? I mean I am thinking about purchasing the r7000 so I was hoping its ability to perform would help make this more liekly to work.

It is an option when dealing with dedicated NFS devices(like Linux Storage/Backup Servers) or high-performance NASes.

FTP is a kind of an option, but the FTP storage/quota needs to be monitored due to the fact that the FTP protocol cannot report remaining disk space. Usually FTP is used for backup purposes.

The two viable options are:

-PC with dedicated software, but has it's drawbacks on energy efficiency, cost of monitoring simultaneous multiple HD/FullHD or upper cameras, software stability and the dependence on the reliability of the host OS

-dedicated NVRs , but they do have the drawback of costs with storage, initial cost of the NVR, the lack of possibility to upgrade the hardware in time (although, I know there are NVRs at 600$ in US that will do 16 1080p/FullHD channels) and a single type use-model

It is an option when dealing with dedicated NFS devices(like Linux Storage/Backup Servers) or high-performance NASes.

FTP is a kind of an option, but the FTP storage/quota needs to be monitored due to the fact that the FTP protocol cannot report remaining disk space. Usually FTP is used for backup purposes.

The two viable options are:

-PC with dedicated software, but has it's drawbacks on energy efficiency, cost of monitoring simultaneous multiple HD/FullHD or upper cameras, software stability and the dependence on the reliability of the host OS

-dedicated NVRs , but they do have the drawback of costs with storage, initial cost of the NVR, the lack of possibility to upgrade the hardware in time (although, I know there are NVRs at 600$ in US that will do 16 1080p/FullHD channels) and a single type use-model

I am aware I could buy other solutions to do this but I was just curious about the dd wrt idea. seemed like a possible solution but I guess its not as feasible as I thought without having to manually delete stuff after a few weeks.

Try a FTP upload test too. A medium 1.3MP or 2MP camera needs about 4Mbps to 8Mbps upload speed to the router(on a realtime video/full motion frames as in a cinema movie).

That means almost 2GB/hour . Without a good setting of the motion detection and/or other sensors, that means 20 days of storage for one cam. If you got 4 cams, that makes 5 days of storage for 4 cams for a 1TB HDD.