shockwave199

Why is the dahua 4280 so cheap?

It's part of their Lite series which has better pricing like the 1080P bullet I reviewed that's like $40 less than their previous 1080P bullet. What looks like it may be cool is the NVR104 or 108 that's tiny, 7.5" x 5" x 1.4".

Well I guess I'm interested in what makes it "light"? The specs show it to be their highest throughput nvr @ 200mbps. Nothing light about that!

Might be something similar to what Hikvision did in early 2013...their 16 ch and 32 ch NVR was rated for 40 Mbps and 80 Mbps respectively. Then a few months went by and some firmware upgrade doubled their recording bandwidth to 80 Mbps and 160 Mbps. Hardware was kept the same.

Hmm maybe also economy of scale...looks like they use the same hardware regardless of channel numbers (one machine for 4,8,16,32 chs) . Where as Hikvision makes a different machine for 4 ch, 8 ch, 16 ch and 32 ch.

But the question is the max bitrate per camera that NVR is rated for is 8192.

Even 16 cameras at max bitrate will only needs 132 Mbps.

Only actual use for the 42xx series would be for the 32 channel model one i think. Unless they are priced very cheaply to use it for all channel numbers.

But the question is the max bitrate per camera that NVR is rated for is 8192.

Even 16 cameras at max bitrate will only needs 132 Mbps.

8192 just for Main Stream. Extra stream needs some bandwidth too and the NVR connects both to extra and main.

What appears to be dahua's most throughput nvr at 200mbps is widely available and amazingly inexpensive.
Hopefully this is an indication of the realization that IP cameras do not have magical properties and that prices shouldn't reflect those magical properties either.

Generally, you don't even need 8192 kbps unless you're running a high frame rate. I see no obvious difference between 8192 and 4096 kbps at 10 fps, even with lots of motion and detail. YMMV, as always.

What appears to be dahua's most throughput nvr at 200mbps is widely available and amazingly inexpensive.
Hopefully this is an indication of the realization that IP cameras do not have magical properties and that prices shouldn't reflect those magical properties either.

I'm not sure what you are arguing about, that every camera should be $50 and every NVR should only cost a few more than the PC components needed to put it together by the manufacturer?

What you are paying for with IP cams and NVRs/software is not only the cost of the device but the engineering, support and features that the devices offer.

You seem to be advocating for a "race to the bottom" as we've seen in the PC industry where now most of what is out there is cheap badly assembled junk, but hey it's cheap!

As a supplier, Profit margin on these equipment (which is already pretty thin) compared to 3 years ago has dropped alot...maybe by 30%, and that's if nothing happens and they don't need to use their warranty. After RMA/credit card fees they can only stay in business by cutting services/salary for us.