jinhong1990

Onvif Version Compatibility

Hey guys, I quite new to IP camera and NVR. I need some guides here. It would be great if u guys could guide me a little. I have a question regarding the Onvif compatibility of a IP camera and a NVR.

If both applying the same ONVIF protocol, the camera and NVR would be able to work together, but not all function is supported, such as motion detection or alarm function. Is that true? Lets say I have a poe NVR with Onvif 2.3 and a poe IP Camera with Onvif 2.0? Does they work perfectly?

Basically, its must conform among 2.3, 2.0....but you have to check compliance list on NVR, IPC, NAS.

Even if both the manufacturers of the IPC & NVR says it conforms to Onvif 2.x or whatever standard, you can only view & record 7/24 on most cases. Motion recording is normally not supported.

There's not an easy answer but there are a few rules of thumb to keep in mind:

(1) The big difference with ONVIF support is "Profile" vs "Archived". Everything 2.x is Profile, typically S which is for cameras / streaming video. Archived is everything 1.x.

In our testing 1.x products have a far greater probability of failing to connect / work than 2.x products. That does not guarantee that all 2.x products will work but it is much more likely.

(2) Make sure to verify that the product is officially conformant with ONVIF. You can check online - here's for Profile products and here's for Archived ones.

Lots of companies say they are ONVIF but have never officially conformed / verified performance. In our testing, products that are officially listed much more frequently work.

(3) Even with Profile (2.x) products, the 2 most common features that most likely will not work are motion detection and PTZ controls. In our testing, we found some motion detection integration working but a number of them were assisted by custom enhancements from the VMS provider.

Hope this helps. Bottom line - always verify ONVIF integrations yourself.

Always test ONVIF devices BEFORE deploying them. It is getting better then it was but there are still issues so you should always test to see if they are compatible with your NVR/VMS solution.