zilla

Elevator Cameras Interference - Please Help!!!

Just finished installing all of the cameras, except replacing the old ones in the elevator.

I have a real bad video interference problem in the elevator cameras. Building is 23 floors, wire schematic: from elevator cabin to elevator equipment room on 2 pairs shielded elevator multi conductor wire, on the roof there is a splice to Coax RG-59 which goes 23 floors down. I have tried the following, to resolve the issue but nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Replaced / Installed different types/brands of analog cameras

2. Installed Ground Loop Isolators

3. Tested both of the cables for damage

4. Tried to move cameras around elevator, and put something in between (wood block, plastic, rubber)

5. Ground cable, cameras

6. Tried different types of video baluns

7. Completely isolated cable with special foil tape and verified that they are away from any AC voltage, Motors and so on

8. Tried cameras with no IR and plastic housing

9. Redone the connectors

10. Tried other power supply sources

diagram.png.47ce7094a40b894f78b242cda2fb368a.png

20140719_131953_SRN-1000_192_168.0.254_554-Cam10.jpg.47b9f7faaf4213855791f51abed506d6.jpg

20140719_132059_SRN-1000_192_168.0.254_554-Cam10.jpg.887343deed41b902db02e8d64e5be40e.jpg

One tough thing with elevators is that the cable feeding your camera in the car is on a travel cable which would be multiple cables running the different systems including the emergency phone etc.

So you have two pairs doubled up to the video of the camera? Are both pairs in a common shield or separately shielded. Have you tried both draining the shield at one end as well as keeping it free from grounding.

Are you using cheap baluns?

I'd use a Ubiquiti radio's in a point to point. Eliminate all the bs with cabling problems. Or, use CAT5 and IP cams

I'd use a Ubiquiti radio's in a point to point. Eliminate all the bs with cabling problems. Or, use CAT5 and IP cams
Wireless in elevator shafts is subject to standing waves as the car travels up or down, which will cause massive headaches.

To the OP: are you using two pairs to transport the video or one pair for video and one pair for power?

Try connecting a monitor inside the elevator. Good picture?

Then try connecting a monitor up in the roof elevator room. Good picture?

That's the key, right there.

Break it down piece by piece to find where the problem is.

128000_1.jpg

Simple cable testing with above.

But looking at your image it's more like a power phase .

Phase power is connected to on lift is not same as dvr power

Thank you for all of your responses.

Cable that goes from elevator cart to elevator equipment room on the roof is a shielded 2 pair wire that been pulled during the construction for extra phone line in the elevator. On the roof it converts, using video baluns from two pairs into S.Coax RG59 which goes 23 floors down into encoder.

1) I have tried using different types of video baluns, (including Speco, Pelco and etc.) didn't see to much improvement

2) Cameras powered up from the elevator cabin it's self, voltage is stable at 12.2 -12.3 vdc, even when it's traveling.

3) I have broken down cable testing by areas, on the CCTV tester interference is not as visible as on the monitor of DVR.

4) I tried different types of cameras, with different specs and housing

5) I have verified that cable is not to close to any AC noise

Completely running out of ideas, all of your suggestions greatly appreciated!

To the OP: are you using two pairs to transport the video or one pair for video and one pair for power?

1 wire for video+ and 1 wire for video -

That's the key, right there.

Break it down piece by piece to find where the problem is.

Gentleman's I have tried to brake it down by pieces as you suggested, on the local monitor or CCTV tested interference is not as visible as on the monitor which connected into dvr

It's kind of hard for a cable to an elevator to have much separation from others because their is typically only one travel cable to the car.

By chance, do you have any line lock or sync feature enabled. Any chance of an alternate power source?

Is this video going pair, a spare pair in the cat 5 to the emergency handset?

It's kind of hard for a cable to an elevator to have much separation from others because their is typically only one travel cable to the car.

By chance, do you have any line lock or sync feature enabled. Any chance of an alternate power source?

Is this video going pair, a spare pair in the cat 5 to the emergency handset?

Unfortunately powering cameras up in the elevator cabin is the only source, otherwise elevator company would have to re pull dedicated wire for it.

Pairs for the video are the spare pairs from the multi conductor wire of the elevator it is NOT a cat5 cable. Otherwise I would try installing ip cam.

The elevator emergency hand set should have 2 spare pairs then. Can those be used

The elevator emergency hand set should have 2 spare pairs then. Can those be used

Elevator company prohibited using those for some of the reason

Any of you Gentleman's have tried implementing long range 802.11N wireless bridge into elevator to transport video signal. My biggest concern is signal bouncing and EMI.

I would also us as a quick test an alarm battery and power camera in lift with that.

It looks like a power problem as in phase cross

Lift will be 3phase dvr socket single. You need to be on same phase.

I would also us as a quick test an alarm battery and power camera in lift with that.

It looks like a power problem as in phase cross

Lift will be 3phase dvr socket single. You need to be on same phase.

Thanks for your response will try it out!

Gentleman's I have tried to brake it down by pieces as you suggested, on the local monitor or CCTV tested interference is not as visible as on the monitor which connected into dvr

Then haul the monitor connected to the DVR into the elevator and connect there, try at the roof elevator room too.

Also try using a UPS for a power source for the monitor and/or the camera.

Maybe power the camera with a UPS and have the monitor connected in the roof elevator room.

Greatly appreciate for everyone's responses, will keep you posted on this case

Thanks

Any of you Gentleman's have tried implementing long range 802.11N wireless bridge into elevator to transport video signal. My biggest concern is signal bouncing and EMI.

If you do go wireless, I would think wifi may not work well in an elevator shaft.

just a thought. what about a wireless option like this http://www.eyespyli.com/svex_yt2.htm

if that's the route you're looking.

1 wire for video+ and 1 wire for video -

So you have a spare pair, then? Are the pairs CAT-anything or just 18 gauge wire? That's typically what wire type elevators have and it is not well-suited for video. You might try using different combinations of the four wires, ie. red=(+) and black=(-) or yellow=(+) and black=(-). You could also try grounding the unused pair at one end: typically in the equipment room.

I'm surprised there is no rg6 in the elevator cars travel cable.

I have done elevator car cams before and usually there was an rg6 to use. the only problem would typically be that the center conductor would be stranded and I'd have to tin it.

I'm surprised there is no rg6 in the elevator cars travel cable.

I have done elevator car cams before and usually there was an rg6 to use. the only problem would typically be that the center conductor would be stranded and I'd have to tin it.

Most elevator manufacturers, ie. Otis, Schindler, etc. offer many options for other cables to be incorporated into the traveler cable during construction. It's up to the purchaser to decide whether they want to pay extra for those options or not. Many buyers opt to just get the minimum recommended cable.