trinigerman

Hikvision DS-7108N vs. Dahua NVR4208

Looking for a basic 8ch NVR for an office setup that currently has 5 Geovision 2Mp IP cameras and 1 5MP camera. The recording resolution on the Dahua seems quite significant especially to facilitate the 5MP camera but the price on the Hikvision can't be beaten as well as its user interface looks a little more user friendly. Both are available from aliexpress.com

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-8CH-NVR-Smart-Mini-1U-Network-Video-Recorder-HDMI-VGA-Hikvision-NVR-DS-7104N-SN/1970562350.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-4ch-8ch-16ch-Mini-1U-NVR-with-P2P-Function-Latest-DAHUA-Network-Video-Recorder-support/1984646034.html

I'm very new to these forums and the whole aliexpress way of online shopping and haven't seen too much in the way of reviews on either unit but any feedback and advice anyone can give would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't know either of those, but Hik makes their firmware readily available on the web, while Dahua requires you to go through a vendor and won't supply firmware directly to end users.

If the AE vendor can provide you with software support, there may not be much difference in support, but if not, Hik will be easier to keep updated. You'd want to double-check that by going to the Hik support sites to see if they have firmware available for this device.

This is also assuming the Hik device uses English firmware. If it's Chinese only, like they do with some of their cams, that can limit your options. You'll probably want to verify that before ordering unless you can read Chinese.

Thanks for your feedback. You raise a good point with the firmware concerns, however this model Hikvision doesn't seem to be supported in western/English markets. I called Hikvision USA directly and the agent couldn't even locate it in their database. The specs are only provided on their Chinese site. The AE reseller also confirmed that the interface is Chinese and it would be my responsibility to secure the English firmware to convert it. Can't find it so decided not to take the chance (but he assured me it would be 'easy' ). Bit the bullet and went with the Dahua for its higher throughput and mainly as I was able to confirm that its GUI is all in English. Hopefully won't have the need to update the firmware and it'll be sufficient out of the box. The Hik DS-7108N does seem to be a decent little box though, if only it wasn't all in Chinese.

Just want to let you know Geovision cameras with Hik or Dahua might not support motion detection recording. and since its only 1 SATA interface, your max storage is 4 TB. (1 x 4 TB hard drive) and might not get you more than a week or two.

secondly, hik's nvr doesn't seem to support 5mp recording, only 1080p at the most.

3rd for the HIkvision, its only 25 Mbps for recording bandwidth, so for your needs should be enough but not really enough for 8 ch unless you go with all 1.3mp cameras.

for the dahua seems to be a better buy because of 2 Sata.

^^Yep.

I just bought the dahua 4208-8P from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAZ3KRC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WKPENA0Z004FEP553F8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I have only done a quick network set up and general set up and got one 1080p camera in line to make sure all is well. Next I will drop two 3tb purple drives in. It takes a max of two 4tb drives for 8tb total. The firmware is current to 4/14 and it came new in box. It will surely spank the hikvision in terms of horsepower, having the highest throughput I've seen at 200mbps. It's got typical dahua offerings on the back that I always consider a must, such as alarm in/out and 485. What's really remarkable is that I have an analog ptz that I still love, as well as having spent money last year for a dahua dvr. Instead of yanking that out, for the time being before I invest in an IP PTZ, I imported that ptz channel into an nvr channel and amazingly, I have full control of the ptz including menu. Importing other remote device units into the nvr is a seriously sweet feature, imo. I also like that remote device has more camera control now, so even though you have a camera hooked up to the internal poe, you can still tweak most all color/picture management, apply day/night period schedule, flip, mirror, etc. The GUI in these new units has a bit of a different look but it's still very familiar if you're a dahua user.

But as milkisbad mentioned, all bets are off with 3rd party cameras behaving as you want, in spite of ONVIF, and that goes for the hikvision unit too I would think. That's a gamble. I'd sooner go strictly dahua cameras. There are SO many cameras from them and new ones coming down the pike all the time, personally I see no need to go with anything else. But because you have a bunch of geovision cameras, you'd probably be better off sticking with that brand for the nvr.

Hi!

Hello from Russia.

About DS-7108N-SN/P

Web interface in English and Chinese, but the NVR in China only.

But it is up to the moment he got into my hands!

Now he speaks pure English.

Also make custom firmware for this recorder in case TFTP recovery.

All photos

http://vk.com/album221982133_196353863

China

251851_1.jpg

English

251851_2.jpg

Appreciate all the very helpful responses. Took the plunge and ordered the Dahua, just have to wait now for it to arrive. But I think the concerns with the limited or lack of ability to control all the features of the third party Geovision cameras is likely to be a legitimate point as I've already experienced that issue using them on another non-Geovision NVR.

Unfortunately, those are what exist currently at the location so we'll have to make do for the time being until they can be upgraded or replaced. Hopefully a 3Gb WD Purple drive will give at least a week of recording which is more than adequate for this particular application.

iTuneDVR were you able to get the English firmware from Hikvision directly or did you have to customize your own?

I would recommend two 4tb drives. If you need to record full time because motion recording won't work, go with 8tb for sure. But it may be a problem recording anything. Not sure I would have gambled that one. Check it out ASAP and return if needed.

iTuneDVR were you able to get the English firmware from Hikvision directly or did you have to customize your own?

Of course myself!

Chinese NVR only with the Chinese language on NVR and eglish on the web-interface.

Other original firmware is not present!

I made several solutions for this NVR.

- Change the regional code in soldering flash and without it. Protected MTD block

- Make a custom firmware with the English language;

- Make a custom firmware with the Russian language;

http://vk.com/album221982133_199899067

IMG_20140730_183719.thumb.jpg.39d83b6a6ffdd8c72233853d1c77dc17.jpg

Thanks guys. shockwave199 why do you suggest that it may not be able to record at all? As it's ONVIF compatible shouldn't it at least handle recording in realtime even if the motion settings are unavailable? Which model would you suggest for this application?

I wouldn't know with geovision cameras. For best results, use that brand of nvr I would think.

Yes please don't mix and match, seen too much of this at work and it never ends well.

Well only time that it works fine is when you have to pay for the licenses to add a camera...(Geovision NVR with Hikvision cameras, or exacq with Hikvision)

But not the other way around!

Hello,

DS-7108N-SN/P is about $100 less than DS-7608N-SN/P.

Does anybody know why there is such a difference ? Less features (which ones) ?

The main downside (for me) is that there is no english version sold right now (I'm not that good in english, so I let you imagine what it would be with chinese version )

@iTuneDVR : did you wrote an english firmware for DS-7108N-SN/P ? Is it possible to share it ?

Hello,

The main downside (for me) is that there is no english version sold right now (I'm not that good in english, so I let you imagine what it would be with chinese version )

@iTuneDVR : did you wrote an english firmware for DS-7108N-SN/P ? Is it possible to share it ?

The same processor Hi3520D.

Different in appearance.

DS-7108SN / P - pure Chinese version

DS-7604 (8) SN / P - purely European version

I do not presume to spread freely available English or Russian version of the firmware DS-7108SN/P!

Different in appearance.

I do not presume to spread freely available English or Russian version of the firmware DS-7108SN/P!

Will the European firmware work with the Chinese version?

Hello,

Different in appearance.

please help my nvr chinese..

please send english firmware

please help my nvr chinese..

please send english firmware

Just buys European technique and will be no problem;)

please send pm firmware