Sign in to follow this  
bass1176

Advise on a systen and tech questions

SO Im in the market to purchase two of these machine, I had great results with swann in the past and I see it can only be betterwith this upgrade

Here is the system.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-3MP-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-10-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100101588.html

My questions are and many thanks for your input and shared experience.

1- Whats the max range for POE and how can I increase this range? It comes with 100' cable but how will it perform with a 200' cable.

2- Can I add one ACTI PTZ to this system?

Would you prefer another system over this at this price?

The price is hard to beat and one reason Im going with it. Im assuming their 5mp cameras are coming out soon and is why for this price drop.

Thanks for all your input, cheers.

POE like standard ethernet, has a max range of 100 meters or about 328 feet.

This is a hikvision rebrand and generally hikvision supports other popular cameras but the ptz may not function. The swann firmware may prevent the acti from being recognized...but in theory you should be able to record the stream. Aside from the ptz, the NVR must be able to use the in camera motion detection which is sometimes an issue when mixing and matching brands. Do you really need a ptz? Its useless in most applications.

With regard to the price its pretty good. Even if you went via china and got the cams for 100 each, then add the NVR and hard drive you are getting close to the Costco price. With costco you get a three year warranty via swann and no hassle returns to costco(even after the 3 years)/

One thing to verify is whether the Swann's poe is active or passive.

Active poe has a distance of 100 meters where passive poe has a max distance of 30-40 meters which is lime 100-130 feet.

Actuve poe puts the power right on the data pairs where passive puts it on the spare pairs of the cable.

From what know, most poe switches are active but some injectors are passive.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of these built in poe switches are passive

Thanks for this helpful information guys, I called Costco before the replies and they werent sure and I got off after a long wait.

100 meters it is.

I saw good performance from an ACTI b97 I believe, and was pondering with the idea of adding this model to the NVR in the future. Probably wont have the need for it, but was curious of the NVRs flexibility.

MBG and Boggie, many thanks for sharing your input on this topic.

The poe is 100% active poe and will travel the full distance.

That's good to know.

Like I said, I had a suspicion these built on Poe switches were passive but I wasn't sure and the specs don't show.

Will test the cam below out in the near future and report back, price is attractive for a 5mp.

Costco rep advised any Pelco D IP cam would suffice.

Reading thru the specs, the hard drive is expandable to up to 32TB, not sure if they all or most NVR' can do this but thats something to appreciate here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCTV-AOTE-5MP-2592-1920-3MP-1080P-Network-IP-Camera-Varifocal-2-8-12mm-POE-Smart-/111285150404?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item19e91ca2c4

Costco took the item down, I would think many vendors who purchased plenty of These Hikvision cameras were not too happy. They still have the 8 camera system up till tomorrow.

If anyone would know which Hikvision NVR model this would be please advise. I browsed through all their NVR and couldnt make a match.

350-794187-847__1.jpg.640bf050ed03734e3fe3bb092083b76c.jpg