Scampo77

How long can I make the RG6 cable?

I am building up my second system. the first go around I got lots of noise on the line of each camera. On this install I plan on putting up to 200' of cable between the cameras and the PC. Is there amplifiers or filters or an installation technique I should follow?

I want to use entry level cameras from ebay and most of these come with just RCA female jacks or else BNC connectors. Is there a special crimper that is absolutely required or soldering the ends like an antennae conduit?

Use RG-6

Buy Compression BNC connectors and a Compression tool

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-OmniSeal-Pro-Compression-Connector-Tool-30-793/100625411

and

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Universal-BNC-Compression-Connector-for-RG6-6Q-10-Pack-VDV813-607/203579040

or you can find then cheaper online or from electrical supplier. ICM Corp (Belden) also has good compression connectors and tools.

http://www.icmcorp.net/

Stay away from Crimp and screw on connectors

Don't run near or with Household electrical circuitry

200 feet of cable is about 60m, rg59 will do 200m before signal needs boosting.

Nothing wrong with using bnc crimp connectors this is the industry standard.

You can buy crimp tools on ebay relatively cheaply as well as rg59 bnc crimps.

your last instal could be down to many factors including possible earth loops not necessarily the cable.

Earth loops are caused by different earth potential between the main control unit earth and the camera earth- by isolating the camera earth using nylon screws/mounting plates to hold the camera in the housing results in the co-ax earthing the camera when connected to the control unit thus removing the issue of earth loops.

I am building up my second system. the first go around I got lots of noise on the line of each camera. On this install I plan on putting up to 200' of cable between the cameras and the PC. Is there amplifiers or filters or an installation technique I should follow?

I want to use entry level cameras from ebay and most of these come with just RCA female jacks or else BNC connectors. Is there a special crimper that is absolutely required or soldering the ends like an antennae conduit?

RG6 should not be used for CCTV.

The correct cable to use is RG59 or URM70.

Ilkie

RG6 should not be used for CCTV.

The correct cable to use is RG59 or URM70.

Ilkie

Why do you say rg6 shouldn't be used for cctv?

They make a Siamese full copper rg6 with copper shield.

Though I would agree that rg59 is the best choice when within proper distance.

RG6 is great, so long as it doesn't use a copper covered steel inner with aluminium braid. The same goes for RG59. Pure copper inner and braid (the braid with 95% coverage) is best for both RG59 and 6.

RG6 will give you more range.

The type of connector you use often depends on the tools you have on hand

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.pacificcabling.com/Information/Information_other/CCTV_cable_choice.htm

I want to use entry level cameras from ebay

That may be responsible for some of the noise.

Thanks for everyones advice,

I am going to stick with RG6 and just put more care into the connectors. I think I am going to use these cameras from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271529766738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have this card (below) left over from my last install which seemed to work fine. As soon as I get the system working and recording I would like to upgrade this card as it is only 100 FPS

http://www.dvr-card.com/sdp/441772/4/pd-2459157/5655365-1232552/DVR_Card_GV-800_V3_01.html

Thanks for everyones advice,

I am going to stick with RG6 and just put more care into the connectors. I think I am going to use these cameras from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271529766738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have this card (below) left over from my last install which seemed to work fine. As soon as I get the system working and recording I would like to upgrade this card as it is only 100 FPS

http://www.dvr-card.com/sdp/441772/4/pd-2459157/5655365-1232552/DVR_Card_GV-800_V3_01.html

I guess what I really want to know is why are you bothering to put all this time and energy into making sure you have fantastic cable for camera's that clearly don't need it. Is the plan to eventually upgrade to camera's worthy of your efforts?

Scampo,

The card that you will be using must have been made before the year 2000 ( I mean before century). If you can leave your address into my PM provided by this forum, then I will send you the card that we are going to launch very soon. Of course it is free, under the condition that you would tell us what things are bad and what things to be improved. Of course, it is to be accompanied with a very high end updated NVR software that you would love. If you can, you may let us know of your opinion after comparing it with Geovision's.

As another note, improper grounding and impedance mismatch could lead to a lot of noisy video.

What sort of a cost effective entry level camera would you advise?

You definitely have an entry level camera picked out and to be honest, there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's accepted as such. In my experience, camera's like this one just aren't built to last.

For $30, is it cost effective? For a camera that's only expected to last around a year or two, I think $30 is right on par. This is where most people start with their first system and it's a very good learning experience. Just keep your eye open for any video degradation over time and be prepared to replace those cameras with something bigger and better at that time.

Hi Scampo.

Just a heads-up with that camera:

According to the description, it will consume 5 amps with the IR light on, so you'll need a thick power cable to connect the power supply to the camera. You might have to power it locally (from a nearby power outlet) rather than running a cable back to the DVR.

Also, they don't include the power supply, which will add to the cost.

Hi Scampo.

According to the description, it will consume 5 amps with the IR light on

Are u joking ?

Hi Scampo.

According to the description, it will consume 5 amps with the IR light on

Are u joking ?

It has it listed as "5000mA" twice on the spec sheet. If that's not a typo, my head is going to explode.

Sadly it's no joke

However, looking at the number and size of the LEDs, 500mA would be more realistic. That way you'd have 3 watts for the camera, and 1 watt for each LED.

Yet if they've mucked up the current consumption (twice!), I'd be worried about other parts of the description. Throwing extra zeroes around the place like that - sheesh!