BrendonTW

Problem with Q-SEE Cameras going black

I installed this 8 camera system back in February and a week later had problems with the monitor just randomly going to a black feed on random cameras and no positive ethernet connection icon. Normally a reboot would fix it but the problem would happen multiple times per day so even a daily auto-reboot wasn't good enough to get 24 hour recording on all 8 cameras.

After a few hours of being on hold with Q-SEE they told me to restore my system to default. (All I had changed was the auto-reboot and a few settings to make the DVR viewable from my iPhone.) Anyway, it worked.

However, a month ago or so I noticed at night while glancing over the monitor that one of the cameras was seeing the infrared of another camera flashing rapidly with no noticeable pattern. By the next morning this camera feed was gone and no reboot would fix it. A few days later the other camera mounted in the same area went black and no reboot would fix it.

These two cameras are the only 2 of 8 that aren't mounted directly on my house. They are mounted under the roof of a little shed in my back yard.

I have three thoughts as to what happened to these cameras;

-One - the ethernet connections to the cameras somehow got humidity in them, ruining the cameras, since they aren't completely enclosed from the environment. (They are completely protected from rain though)

-Two - The run of ethernet cable was a bit too long. They say the switch inside the DVR will support 100 feet. I think we are at about 120 feet. Could this cause a problem with power and destroy the cameras?

-Three - The ethernet wire underground was damaged somehow. This is unlikely since the infrared was flashing right before they went out, and the soil has not been disturbed.

I have attached two pictures. What do you think?

457848341_photo1.JPG.7bf62b1b60804d3c0faa7c109f03a8b3.JPG

749591310_photo2.JPG.fbafb671f9c9ff252a2feb9f9009f1f5.JPG

Did you use Cat5e solid copper or CCA?

How long estimated was the run?

Type/style of Balun was used (RX/TX)?

Are you able to access another camera and switch the DOA camera unit for a known working one?

try swapping channels (working with a NON-working one)

My hunch is it is a CAMERA units malfunction not a DVR/ software issue...

Can you specifically tell us which products (cameras and recorder) from Q-See you have here.

Just based on what you've said, if I only had one guess, I would say moisture is leaching into those connectors.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I didn't subscribe to the thread so I didn't see your replies.

This is the system I have. Unfortunately it is no longer available.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100069855/digital-periph-solutions-q-see-8-channel-hd-nvr-security-system-with-2tb-hdd-and-8-1080p-ip-cameras-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=helpfulness&dir=asc

I used a cat5e underground cable I purchased from Home Depot.

It was approximately 120 feet.

It is all ethernet connectors.

I can switch a camera out but I would have to uninstall it from it's location and I'm trying to avoid it. I will if I must though.

I used a cat5e underground cable I purchased from Home Depot.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with this cable. I've had to find out the hard way, more than once, that it's not actually outdoor or burial rated. I'm not going to tell you that this is your problem but just a heads up.

You really need to take the cameras down at this point and bench test them to see if the cameras are dead or if your cable is just giving you a hard time.