jisaac

Mpeg4 to avi converter

Does anyone know of a free mpeg4 to avi converter. I have to go to court for a very important case that involves a very high profile attorney around here that does not do cases for less than 20,000. And has never lost a case (not yet). But I have a mpeg4 video I need to convert to avi to play on wmp. Anyone know of one?

or play it and use "CamTasia" Screen Capture to save it as an AVI, it is what I do with the GE DVRs.

Does anyone know of a free mpeg4 to avi converter. I have to go to court for a very important case that involves a very high profile attorney around here that does not do cases for less than 20,000. And has never lost a case (not yet). But I have a mpeg4 video I need to convert to avi to play on wmp. Anyone know of one?

Windows Media Player will play avi files unless you don't have the codec needed installed. I play files created by GEO all the time with it. It plays them back to fast, but it plays them. (their recorded at a low fps)

Which codec is being used? You can find this out by downloading the free codec check utility called: "GSpot". As long as your not using a proprietary codec they are many programs that will convert the file for you.

Nero can convert it so it will play on a stand alone DVD player if you would like. Do a search on Google - wmv to avi and you will find a much of programs that will do this for you.

I'm not an expert in this but, from everything I've read and heard regarding digital video evidence, its possible that it won't get admitted into court if the video has been converted from its original or native format, even then MPEG4 may have some problems. The prosecutor would or should know more about this, and to be honest I'm surprised that you still have the DVR in your possesion, I would have thought that the DVR would be tagged and locked up in the evidence room to be taken into court.

If the video is to be converted let the prosecutor and/or the PD handle it, and since this is a criminal case it would seem that the chain of evidence has long been broken.

Doug

I'm not an expert in this but, from everything I've read and heard regarding digital video evidence, its possible that it won't get admitted into court if the video has been converted from its original or native format, even then MPEG4 may have some problems. The prosecutor would or should know more about this, and to be honest I'm surprised that you still have the DVR in your possesion, I would have thought that the DVR would be tagged and locked up in the evidence room to be taken into court.

If the video is to be converted let the prosecutor and/or the PD handle it, and since this is a criminal case it would seem that the chain of evidence has long been broken.

Doug

Very true Doug. I am sure this request is related to the jewelry store robbery post earlier, and if that is so, you are dead on.

Converting your codec, unless done by the DVR itself, will cause issues. Besides, if you could convert the codec after you exported the clip, then whoever built your DVR did not provide you with a sufficient level of clip integrity. This constitutes editing of your incident. Not bueno.

Your DVR should be able to export the clip in a generic player codec, but better yet, export it in the native format with the proprietary player. This should carry over a higher level of integrity certification.