bobson

Hikvision 7608 from AliExpress

HI I am considering buying my first NVR and after some research am considering the Hikvision 7608 from AliExpress. I have 3MP POE cameras already so this would suite. Has anyone got any useful comments on my choice of NVR and more importantly on buying it from AliExpress. I am currently considering E&M Security as they have had the most orders but I did read someone saying that they received one with 8 ports but only 4 of them were POE!.

Any tips/advice would be great. THanks

HI I am considering buying my first NVR and after some research am considering the Hikvision 7608 from AliExpress. I have 3MP POE cameras already so this would suite. Has anyone got any useful comments on my choice of NVR and more importantly on buying it from AliExpress. I am currently considering E&M Security as they have had the most orders but I did read someone saying that they received one with 8 ports but only 4 of them were POE!.

Any tips/advice would be great. THanks

The rumor you have heard is correct. The switch module inside the 760X NVRs is modular and can be changed.

Check the DS-7604NI-SEP internal picture. This is the 4 port PoE version DS-7604NI-SEP that also has two SATA inerfaces at the bottom left corner of the board (important). The right half of the board is the switch PoE module that can be changed.

Check now the internals of the DS-7608NI-SEP also with 2 SATA interfaces.

The right half of the board is the 8 poer PoE switch which is longer than the 4 port switch.

Unfortunately HIK does not differentiate the model numbers for the NVRs with 8 ports but only 4 of them being PoE capable.

The power supply also seems to be changing between production batches, some of them being better or worse to supply the proper power to the cameras.

It is very important to be able to check such things and have the appropriate support from the dealer you are buying.

1590110022_DS-7604NI-SEPinternal.thumb.jpg.8e264d8b636a6f31f5ec2b0f0596abf4.jpg

991305019_DS-7608NI-SEPinternal.jpg.9ae96ea90857b5a9780324cd7df90c3d.jpg

691966086_DS-7608NI-SEPinternal8portswitch.jpg.6a861bb6154f9184d5cbf7fb8fc5ca37.jpg

There is a retailer in the US that carries what you want for 400. Can't mention the name here though. If you're in the states, it's a MUCH better way to go. But if you're loading up the nvr fully with 3mp cameras, this nvr may force low frame rates and resolution. It shows only 40mbps throughput. Unless of course the one I'm looking at is different than the one you seek.

There is a retailer in the US that carries what you want for 400. Can't mention the name here though. If you're in the states, it's a MUCH better way to go. But if you're loading up the nvr fully with 3mp cameras, this nvr may force low frame rates and resolution. It shows only 40mbps throughput. Unless of course the one I'm looking at is different than the one you seek.

Thanks. I am in the UK unfortunately. I don't intend to load it with 8 cameras, probably with 4 or 5 3MP cameras and 1 x 1MP. It should be ok with 5 or 6 cameras right?

The power supply also seems to be changing between production batches, some of them being better or worse to supply the proper power to the cameras..

First I've heard of this... do you have any details on this?

Thank you aster1x that is very helpful. Are there any suppliers who are reliable in supplying the proper 8 port poe version. I was thinking of going with E&M as they have had the most orders...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-DS-7608-SE-P-nvr-DS-7616-SE-P-Economic-PoE-NVR/1491927532.html

Any thoughts/experience?

Thanks

You would have to buy the "DS-7616NI-SE/P with 8 independent 100Mbps PoE Ethernet interfaces" to get the 8 POE ports.

I have not used this company but as you noted they seem reputable from their feedback.

The right half of the board is the 8 poer PoE switch which is longer than the 4 port switch.

file.php?id=6482

I wonder if these POE modules are available for "repair" purposes.

Thank you aster1x that is very helpful. Are there any suppliers who are reliable in supplying the proper 8 port poe version. I was thinking of going with E&M as they have had the most orders...

Thanks

I do not have any experience with asian dealers. I am located in Europe and I bought a DS-7604NI-SEP from a Bulgarian dealer (low VAT). I wanted to have two SATA interfaces for two disks and they could not confirm if the specific model had the two inerfaces. Beware the DS-7604NI-S(E) i.e. with no internal PoE switch and an external power supply and one LAN port has ONE SATA interface. They were confusing the models and it took me alot of communications to make them undestand the differences in models and the one I wanted. Until they deleivered and I opened the case to see the two interfaces I was very uneasy.

The problem starts from the HIK manufacturer who does not have a clear model numbering convention, the lack of distributors support and training even the ones that are indicated in the HIK site. Even their firmware and software support is confusing. The latest camera firmware 5.2.0 appears only in the US FTP site with username and password which can be found from other users in the forum. This latest firmware is not listed in the official .com site or even the European portal. Each of the aforementioned sites list different different versions. On top of that the applicability of firmware according to region is not officially documented anyware (AFAIK). The region segmentation of their products is not mentioned in teh HIK sites either. Now this is not proper inernational support.

The plus of HIK is that it is (probably) one of the best of the chinese clan of hardware manufacturers in terms of manufacturing quality, they have rather frequent firmware updates and most importantly it has a large community of knowlegable people in the various forums that cover the lack of official support for free. How many consumers can afford the likes of Bosch, Grundig and other European based designers who manufacture in Asia (in general) and do their original design, prototyping, software development, quality control and support with expenive european labour?

As i suggested before, I advise you to prefer a dealer close to you in order to have proper and immediate support even if they do not know what they are selling.

The power supply also seems to be changing between production batches, some of them being better or worse to supply the proper power to the cameras..

First I've heard of this... do you have any details on this?

In the past I saw pictures of the internal DS-760X with different power supplies manufacturer in the google. This is normal for a manufacturer to have various suppliers for such a commoditised item as the power supply.

In the past I saw pictures of the internal DS-760X with different power supplies manufacturer in the google. This is normal for a manufacturer to have various suppliers for such a commoditised item as the power supply.

Of course, this I understand.

You said some power supplies were under powered (had issues?).

Which PS and is there any discussion links about this?

I have 3MP POE cameras already so this would suite.

You didn't specify what brand of cameras you're using. Frankly I don't care for hikvision nvr's. I've never used one but I've never liked what I've read about them. They remain to be like some kind of hazy mystery. I personally like dahua nvr's if that's a possible choice. To each their own.

Hi,

PoE switches are generally 4/8/16/24/48 poe ports, but some are with uplink ports which are not poe ports.

Just as you said, 8 port poe switch with 4 poe ports and 4 non-poe ports.

1. check the power consumption of your powered devices for choosing IEEE802.3af or IEEE802.3at standard poe switches.

2. according to situation, the number of powered devices should be taken into consideration. In general, the power budget marked on poe switches is higher, because of the consumption of poe switch itself.

From this aspect, the number of ports could be decided.

3. managed/unmanageable is another aspect to be concern.

I have not seen in the popular forums discussions about underated power supplies integrated in the NVRs with PoE switches. However I have discussed with many technicians and most of them do not understand that the sum of power consuption of all cameras connected to NVR must be less than the power capability of the PoE switch. Additionally since the power supplies are the most expensive component in any device (even the computers), the power quality varies with the design, the quality of the components, the manufacturing process and the quality control. Not all power supplies are made the same. I wonder why I have seen in many forums recommending to have an external PoE switch with a particular Zyxel model being very popular. Specifically TomsHardware, a popular computer forum, is publishing frequently computer power supplies reviews of many computer power supplies. It is interesting that some of them sol in many stores are blown after a few hours of operation.

Other than that, I have not seen specific NVR power supply reviews.

I have not seen in the popular forums discussions about underated power supplies integrated in the NVRs with PoE switches. However I have discussed with many technicians and most of them do not understand that the sum of power consuption of all cameras connected to NVR must be less than the power capability of the PoE switch. Additionally since the power supplies are the most expensive component in any device (even the computers), the power quality varies with the design, the quality of the components, the manufacturing process and the quality control. Not all power supplies are made the same. I wonder why I have seen in many forums recommending to have an external PoE switch with a particular Zyxel model being very popular. Specifically TomsHardware, a popular computer forum, is publishing frequently computer power supplies reviews of many computer power supplies. It is interesting that some of them sol in many stores are blown after a few hours of operation.

Other than that, I have not seen specific NVR power supply reviews.

I sell power supplies (enterprise for servers and switches and other components as well) for a living, they are not expensive by any means, China cranks these suckers out for a dime a dozen. A single model Dell server can have over 15 different power supply part numbers, because Dell would buy the cheapest at the moment of manufacturing. So you end up with many different manufacturers, part numbers, and revision numbers. But in the end they are built to manufacturer specs, so they all "work the same" sure some may have different components, some may have great internal parts and some have junk capacitors that blow in a year. Just depending on the "luck of the draw" so to speak

HP had a problem with a power supply for a server series, if the machine was running the power supply was fine, but if the power supply was off and cooled down, it would never turn back on again, ever. Techs found out after doing server moves, long power outages or system maintenance where the machines would be off for a period of time. Plug the servers back in and nothing, zip zilch, both power supplies dead. HP had to replace a ton of power supplies for a few years.