Sign in to follow this  
wxman

Camera Image Shaking in Night Vision Mode

Interesting problem that I'm wondering if anyone has experienced or could provide advice.

My PTZ camera works perfectly in daytime mode, but when you change it to night black and white mode, the picture starts shaking from side to side and random interference keeps popping up on the image every few seconds. Flip it back to daytime mode and it works perfectly again.

First suspected it was something to do with the IR lights. However, I have now completely removed the IR board and lights, but it still starts shaking and giving interference when I manually switch the camera menu to night mode.

I'm thinking there must be a problem with the sensor's night vision mode. This is using an Effio-E sensor.

Has anyone ever heard of this? or have any idea if this could be caused by something other than the sensor? With the IR lights out of the question, I don't see where the problem could be in anything other than the sensor?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Not exactly sure what you mean by "pulsing"?

Here is a video clip of what it's doing. You'll see that in regular "daytime" mode, it works just fine. When I turn it to "laser on" and the night vision mode of the camera turns on, the image shakes from side to side and red interference runs through the screen every few seconds.

Some notes to consider:

-It's not in the IR lights because I completely unplugged the IR lights from the camera unit and it still does this.

-The red interference is not the camera seeing red IR light in color because, again, the IR lights are not even on.

Obviously it's something with the "night vision" mode of the sensor that causes the shaking and interference? I can't think of anything else that would cause this?

Wow, never seen anything like that. What happens in "night" mode is there's a IR filter that's pulled away from the sensor via a solenoid and during the day it's pushed between the lens and sensor to provide IR filtering. It could be the filter is hitting the lens and restricting it's range of motion so it's rocking back and forth. If you can take it apart to the point where you can remove the lens, you may be able to see what the IR cut filter is doing and fix it.

Hmm, interesting thoughts...This is a powered zoom lens that is screwed on top of the sensor. I'm assuming that this IR filter is part of the lens and not the part of the sensor? Thus, if the IR filter was somehow damaged, I'd be looking at replacing the zoom lens rather than replacing the sensor board?

While looking back over the video in slow motion, it does appear that the camera is trying to go back into color mode when that interference shows up. I also note that while the image is shaking from side to side, the writing of the on screen display seems to be moving as well. If I manually pan the camera back and forth, the picture moves but the on screen display writing stays steady in place. When this "night mode" shaking starts, the on screen display writing shakes with it...That makes me wonder if it's something wrong with the processing part of the sensor board itself.

No, the IR Cut filter is a separate device that sits between the lens and sensor. On some cameras it rotates in/out and some it slides in/out. Replacing the lens won't help, but in many cameras it is screwed in to or part of the mount that holds the lens, so can theoretically be replaced, assuming parts were available.

Here's an image that may help -

252846_1.jpg