SCSSCHOOLS

HD-SDI Runs

So I work for a non profit school and we've recently upgraded our security system to a hd-sdi 1080p system and are using rg59 cable for most of our runs. We have 3 runs that range from 350 - 500 feet. I was hoping to get some knowledgeable opinions on how I could achieve this? I have had people mention signal boosters and baluns or fiber optic.

The other issue is our 12v power supply isn't capable of powering our night vision after about 200 feet.

I was considering just installing another 12v supply at more centralized location for the cameras out further.

Don't ask me why we went with HD-SDI, they just put me in charge of installation.

These are our cameras we have installed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3GXOTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are leaning towards the baluns as it sounds slick, but I don't know enough about them or just relocating the dvr to the center of the campus instead of the back, but it would take a bit of work.

1. I don't think you are going to find any economical HDSDI baluns that go much over 150 feet when transmitting an HD signal.

2. The longer runs would benifit from using RG6 instead of RG59, and that may solve your problem. If it is not possible to re-run the wire, then you could settle for SD video at those locations, and get a hybrid DVR that does both HD and SD video.

3. With the voltage, you have a couple of options. Assuming that you have a large enought power supply (amps are sufficient) then you can either start with a higher voltage (like 15VDC) or use a thicker gauge wire so that you are not losing so much power on the long runs. It is possible you could use 24VAC and use one of those little 24VAC to 12VDC converters. I've never experiment with that, but AC has less of a problem with voltage drop than DC.

Matt