landsendsolo

Wireless IP Camera Out of Range - Any ideas?

Hi,

I have a dilemma where I need to install a couple of CCTV cameras in a building across the road from a house, about 2 or 3 hundred yards away.

I am unable to pick up wifi in the building so was wondering if anyone can advise what equipment is out there to extend the wifi to the building across the road. The building in question is of brick construction with a metal roof used for housing cows. The building is about the size of a football pitch.

I originally thought I could just hook up powerline plugs, one next to the router and one in the building across the road thinking it was on the same electricity supply but alas no, couldn't get any internet connection in the building when I tried this.

If I can get internet into the building somehow I can run ethernet cables to the IP Cameras or set them up over the wifi.

Any help appreciated, open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Les

Les:

If you have line of site between the two buildings, and can put a small device outside of each buildling (height won't matter), I have gotten fantastic results with the EnGenius ENH202 wireless access point. You would likely need two of them.

One would be set up as an access point, and the other would be in bridge mode. It would extend your LAN (local area network) from one building to another. I have two of them set up about 600 yards away, and they work great.

These WAP/Bridges are directional, and so they can travel a lot longer distance. But tress will kill them dead, so you need line or site, or very near line of site to set these up.

Matt

I second that recommendation. I've done it using to link units before, though not quite as far and they have been working great for 2 years now

One thing I never thought of was how much bandwidth will a permanent IP camera use. How much will it affect the normal household internet use. Its not my house but I think they have a between 5 and 10 MB download speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Les

When you say thy have a 5 or 10mbp download speed, that is in reference to the WAN (wide area network) which in this case is the internet. It has nothing to do with the download... or transmit and receive speeds of your wireless access points, which are operating on the LAN (local area network). But those WAPS are plenty fast enough for an IP camera or two.

The UPLOAD (not download) speed of the internet will effect how well you can stream your camera system outside of the house... to say your office when you want to check on things. The upload is more important than the download when it comes to remote viewing.

Matt