morpheus83uk

NVR's and SWANN CCTV

Hello,

I was wondering around Costco and I noticed they had a SWANN NVR kit on display recording just anyone wondering past so full setup using two of the bullet camera's. The picture quality looked very clear and states that its 720P and the quality looked very good which I would expect. More specifically it was a 1TB NVR8-7085 which included the NVR and two bullet camera's for £419.98. I have no idea if this is good bad or anything really!

I am wondering what people think of NVR's in general over a DVR and also specifically about SWANN equipment camera's, kits, NVR's etc. I have looked around on here and I have found posts from 2009 and such and Googled around but I haven't come across much bad feedback about them. One guy I asked at work who does some installations for his mate who fits CCTV and helps out with the IT side of it said that SWANN are the best you can get so I am just wondering what your opinions are on SWANN kit.

Any responses are greatly received.

James

viewtopic.php?t=30127

I think Soundy probably says it best when he includes Swann as a "bottom of the barrel" brand. Having said that, all of those brands are usually where people start with CCTV systems to get their feet wet and there's nothing wrong with that.

The only reason people stumble into most of these brands is because the big box stores, like Costco, love to sell cheap crap knowing full well that people will buy it because of the low price. Look at it differently. Costo is a company that specializes in selling cheap merchandise. How reliable do you think a CCTV system is going to be from them?

I would say the biggest problem with purchasing any of these brands is longevity. None of it is really built to last.

Whoever told you that Swann is the best you can buy is NOT a reliable source of information. That's actually one of the more hysterical things I've heard on this forum.

Yeah, I'd agree that if its sold in a place like Costco, Walmart or even Home Depot, it's far far from the best.

The guy you work with obviously is not in the know on cctv.

You'd be better off to steer clear of those package systems and look at some of the other systems mentioned here on the forums such as Dahua, Hikvision or Geo vision. There are lots more but many are not in the budget range that a DIY person may want.

Yeah, I'd agree that if its sold in a place like Costco, Walmart or even Home Depot, it's far far from the best.

The guy you work with obviously is not in the know on cctv.

You'd be better off to steer clear of those package systems and look at some of the other systems mentioned here on the forums such as Dahua, Hikvision or Geo vision. There are lots more but many are not in the budget range that a DIY person may want.

Q-See is a rebranded Dahua

Lorex/Swann are rebranded Hikvision

If you are wanting something for the house that works, is reliable and has a warranty get the SWANN at Costco. I am curious what Don Stephens would suggest for cameras/nvr's.

I am with ssuro11, the swann NVR and cameras that are rebranded hikvisions are a great value and are good systems. Its the bottom barrel DVR/analog systems that you should not touch. There will always be snobs out there who say hikvision and dahua are low end, but that is not correct. They are VERY good brands. I have many of each installed with ZERO issues. They beauty of costco is that they have an awesome warranty and return policy. So bottom line do some research and see who the oem of the system is. If its hikvision or dahua you are good to go.

I understand they are rebranded hikvision but I wonder if they are the same quality.

I was talking to the guy at ADI the other day and he says they're selling a lot of Hikvision and with very little to no issues.

I hear of a lot of issues with lorex and Swann. Though truthfully I have no experience with Swann but I have serviced a few Lorex systems and they seem to have issues, mostly being cheap cameras that condensate under the glass, etc.

is it definite that Swann is hikvision rebranded? The only reason I ask is because some of their equipment looks a lot like Digimerge/Flir but I don't actually know.

I purchased the http://www.swann.com/au/swnvk-870824 which come with 8 channels NVR (NVR8-7082) few weeks ago and found that the email alerts and motion detection doesn't work together. When email alerts are enabled, it will work for few hours before the whole system crashes. i.e. Motion detection recording and email alerts stop working until the system is rebooted by removing the power source.

I have already reported this issue to swann first and second level support, who has no solution.

Today I swapped my NVR with a new one from the place of purchase and finds that the new one does the same thing.

Has anyone else come accross this issue with email alerts ?

I purchased the http://www.swann.com/au/swnvk-870824 which come with 8 channels NVR (NVR8-7082) few weeks ago and found that the email alerts and motion detection doesn't work together. When email alerts are enabled, it will work for few hours before the whole system crashes. i.e. Motion detection recording and email alerts stop working until the system is rebooted by removing the power source.

I have already reported this issue to swann first and second level support, who has no solution.

Today I swapped my NVR with a new one from the place of purchase and finds that the new one does the same thing.

Has anyone else come accross this issue with email alerts ?

You have tagged this response onto every post that mentions Swann plus posted your own thread.

Please use some sort of etiquette.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it's taken a while to get back I have been very busy sorting out the house!

Does anyone know if the swann mentioned in my original post is any good or if it is rebranded hikvision? I am curious as I have seen the quality and it looks good.

What are people's views on NVR's in general I have read both good and bad things so I am curious.

Many thanks

James

According to most here, Swann is rebranded Hikvision but I believe some Swann equipment is OEM'd by others as well.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it's taken a while to get back I have been very busy sorting out the house!

Does anyone know if the swann mentioned in my original post is any good or if it is rebranded hikvision? I am curious as I have seen the quality and it looks good.

What are people's views on NVR's in general I have read both good and bad things so I am curious.

Many thanks

James

The one you posed to does not look like a hikvision rebrand. It is also limited to 720p cameras so you will not be able to add a swann 1080p camera in the future. NVR's good or bad vs. what? PC NVR?

A standalone NVR, is easier to setup and requires no maintenance and is generally very stable and reliable. A PC NVR has way more options with respect to cameras you can use, settings, and you have the option of chosing from various software makes and switching if you like one over the other.

Thanks for that. What is the difference between a PC NVR and a standalone NVR? I am looking at the NVR is the set I original post. I presume these are standalone NVRs? Do you have any examples of rebranded hickvision so I know what I am looking for? It's looking more like potential mixed kit then as I would want the domes opposed to bullets as they will take the damage from vandals.