nemokali

Help regarding port forwarding..

newbie here,

Hi guys i have questions regarding port forwarding and online access on dvr system..

1. is it true that you need to have a static IP address (provided by ISP) for you be to be able to port forward and access your system from anywhere?

2.If Dynamic Ip address can be used, how do you do set up when the Ip resets?

Thanks for your time reading and sharing..

Thank you in advance..

Once your dvr gets an address handed out to it via dhcp, change the dvr to static. It will then keep that address always. THAT is the address you associate with each port you forward for that dvr in your router.You'll need to use a ddns service, either a free one that may come with the dvr, or something like no-ip or dnydns. THAT service tracks your public IP address for your residence, which will keep that associated with your ports forwarded. What I've noticed lately since having to do this frequently, is that my public IP address changes almost never. I suppose a prolonged power outage might force a change. But day to day, I essentially have a static IP address anyway. It's almost as though I don't really have to concern myself with ddns. I wonder if that is becoming more true for everyone overall.