pounce

Options for viewing cameras on Xbox One?

So my wife wants to get an Xbox One so that we can use the Skype video group chat with the families since we just had our first child. To me this seems like a very expensive solution for Skype, but I'm warning up to it for some of the other features like Netflix and such (even though we also have a Roku). The one thing that might put me over the edge is if we can easily view our exterior cameras on the Xbox while watching Netflix or using Skype etc. I guess there is a way to multitask with the thing so you can switch views easily.

Anyway, is anyone using an Xbox One to view cameras? Any thoughts of what works or doesn't?

The house with the prospective Xbox one has Hikvision cameras. Its not critical we make this work, but I haven't seen any discussions on the topic when doing searches. Clearly I'm not a gamer or I'd buy one anyway

I doubt you can do this unless the xbox browser can install a plugin....regardless, why in the world would you get an xbox to skype? you can get a cheap laptop or chromebook or tablet...

I understand there are some options to stream without plugins.

The reasons to consider an xbox over a laptop for Skype are:

The Kinect camera sits on the large plasma TV in a comfortable area so we don't need a laptop. This makes it more likely to use since are already sitting in front of the thing.

We can use a remote or even talk to the thing to work it.

It does other things besides Skype

We can use our laptops for other things while using Skype. I work remote some days.

etc

I understand there are some options to stream without plugins.

The reasons to consider an xbox over a laptop for Skype are:

The Kinect camera sits on the large plasma TV in a comfortable area so we don't need a laptop. This makes it more likely to use since are already sitting in front of the thing.

We can use a remote or even talk to the thing to work it.

It does other things besides Skype

We can use our laptops for other things while using Skype. I work remote some days.

etc

If you are not using it for gaming or as a media extender, then just get a cheap, chromebox, laptop, or small form factor pc attached a webcam and wireless keyboard and you have 10 times the functionality of the xbox for less than half the cost.

Worse case you can use methods and concepts like this. If your IP Cameras have the ability to pull snapshots from the IP Cameras, using a HTTP or HTTPS URL.

While the live demonstrations use Foscam IP Cameras as their examples. The many different methods shown and used below, can be done for any IP Camera. To be able to view those IP Cameras together or individually, from any Internet browser capable device. Without the need to install any plugins or special software, to do so. More here:

http://foscam.us/forum/showing-secure-methods-using-php-to-display-your-ip-cameras-t8721.html

Note: The above methods can also be very helpful when you have different IP Camera brands and/or models that you wish to view together at the same time. There are both totally secure and unsecure methods with live examples shown above.

Depending on how fancy you want to get. It's also possible to use IP Camera controls and/or change camera configuration settings, again without the need to install any plugins or additional software on the device, being used to view the IP Cameras. Any device viewing the IP Cameras, simply needs to be a Internet browser capable device.

Don

If you are not using it for gaming or as a media extender, then just get a cheap, chromebox, laptop, or small form factor pc attached a webcam and wireless keyboard and you have 10 times the functionality of the xbox for less than half the cost.

Cost isn't much of a factor when its about making life easy for my wife with the newborn...

I would probably use it for gaming. I just don't call myself a "gamer".

I wish the Xbox One was a media extender for WMC, but I don't think it is.

We have plenty of skype capable devices around. Just really wanted to know if anyone uses the Xbox One and if there is a nice options for viewing cameras on them.

Worse case you can use methods and concepts like this. If your IP Cameras have the ability to pull snapshots from the IP Cameras, using a HTTP or HTTPS URL.

While the live demonstrations use Foscam IP Cameras as their examples. The many different methods shown and used below, can be done for any IP Camera. To be able to view those IP Cameras together or individually, from any Internet browser capable device. Without the need to install any plugins or special software, to do so. More here:

http://foscam.us/forum/showing-secure-methods-using-php-to-display-your-ip-cameras-t8721.html

Note: The above methods can also be very helpful when you have different IP Camera brands and/or models that you wish to view together at the same time. There are both totally secure and unsecure methods with live examples shown above.

Depending on how fancy you want to get. It's also possible to use IP Camera controls and/or change camera configuration settings, again without the need to install any plugins or additional software on the device, being used to view the IP Cameras. Any device viewing the IP Cameras, simply needs to be a Internet browser capable device.

Don

Thanks. That's some serious detail there Don. You are very thorough. Good stuff.