agcsr25

Another POE switch question

I am in need of help choosing the appropriate managed POE switch for my residence. I have used the search on this forum and read several threads but I am still unsure. I have six axis p3367ve cameras and five axis p3364v cameras (using a standalone PC as a server running axis camera station). The problem is the switch will be located in the house in a area occupied by my daughter and noise is a concern. Should I use two fanless switches like cisco SF302-08MP or SG300-10MPP? Will they generate too much heat? Should I use different switches? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Regards,

Andy

I decided to use passive POE switches like these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086SQDMM

The reason was they are silent and I can have my actual switch elsewhere and more than one of them. It just seemed more flexible.

Appreciate your input. What are the pros/cons/pitfalls of this solution?

If you go with passive injectors, keep in mind that the distance is limited to about 130 feet as opposed to 328 feet.

If you go with passive injectors, keep in mind that the distance is limited to about 130 feet as opposed to 328 feet.

I'd actually challenge you on that statement. I don't think those numbers are factual. At the very least you can't make a general statement on the method without considering the manufacturer or product.

Appreciate your input. What are the pros/cons/pitfalls of this solution?

A con might be ...just more items in your install. You also have more cables because you would need to run a cable from your switche(s) to the POE injector. It's minor, but its a difference.

It was important to me that I could use any switch I wanted for my network and that I didn't have to have a special switch just for the cameras.

If someone just wanted a simple inexpensive solution at their home using a passive injector with a standard router plus perhaps a really cheap switch to expand ports can get you a long way.

Very nice cameras BTW.

I would go with a pair of the Cisco SG300-10P

These are good bang for the buck switches with Gigibit uplink ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=SG300-10P&N=-1&isNodeId=1

They have external power supplies and are dead silent.

Based on your camera selection your not on a shoe string budget.

Although down the road I would look at getting a real VMS. If your going to have less than 24 cameras Avigilon Core would be a good affordable choice.

I'd actually challenge you on that statement. I don't think those numbers are factual. At the very least you can't make a general statement on the method without considering the manufacturer or product.

That's fine, I'm certainly no expert on the matter. I'm just stating what I have read.

Here's one source.

http://www.passivepoe.com/faq.html

Maybe I'm not properly considering the product but it seems better to me to figure worst case.

My thought was that limit is why mid span injectors may be passive but Poe switch typically (or never) are not.

I'm certainly not looking to poo poo the idea of using them and in most residential situations, I would think they're completely fine, especially seeing that you can just mid span them if needed.

One other consideration though, I see one if the op's mentioned switches is a gigabit switch (probably not needed here) but if he does choose to go with gigabit, a regular passive Poe injector won't work because passive Poe uses the spare pairs that gigabit requires in order to work.

Very nice cameras BTW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=SG300-10P&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Although down the road I would look at getting a real VMS. If your going to have less than 24 cameras Avigilon Core would be a good affordable choice.

I second the SG300-10P

Great switch and very quiet. I use these in my client's networks, never had a bad one and so far, no dead ones either.

I want to thank everyone for taking time to assist me, it is greatly appreciated. I think I am going to go with the Cisco SG300-10P switches, however if anyone else has any suggestions I would still love to hear them.

Regards,

Andy

Very nice cameras BTW.

This is off topic but I am interested since it was brought up. What are the concerns with Axis Camera Station as the VMS? I realize it does not have all the features of some VMS's but I went with it trying to stick with the vendor of the cameras hoping that support would not be an issue if a problem arose. Thanks again.

This is off topic but I am interested since it was brought up. What are the concerns with Axis Camera Station as the VMS? I realize it does not have all the features of some VMS's but I went with it trying to stick with the vendor of the cameras hoping that support would not be an issue if a problem arose. Thanks again.

It's free.

That should sum it up.

It's free.

That should sum it up.

The free software is axis camera companion which lets the camera do the processing. Axis camera station is their vms that does the processing and requires a paid license for each camera. I think MSRP for eleven licenses is around $1200. I was wondering if anyone has concerns with camera station (VMS you have to pay for)

It's free.

That should sum it up.

The free software is axis camera companion which lets the camera do the processing. Axis camera station is their vms that does the processing and requires a paid license for each camera. I think MSRP for eleven licenses is around $1200. I was wondering if anyone has concerns with camera station (VMS you have to pay for)

Wow,

Axis charges for connection licenses for their own cameras on the full VMS?

I know axis makes a good product but that's a bit crazy.

[quote name="mgbWow' date='

Axis charges for connection licenses for their own cameras on the full VMS?

I know axis makes a good product but that's a bit crazy.[/quote]

They definitely charge for their full VMS (that only works with Axis cameras) but they like to point out that they have a free version called camera companion which is limited in features.

I have several Axis P3364-LVE & P1204 cameras connecting to 2 fanless Cisco WS-C3560CG-8PC-S switches. Cisco 3560CG switches are enterprise class devices & are fully configurable & manageable. I also have a Hikvision DS-9632NI-ST NVR connecting to both switches, both NICs of the NVR connecting to both of the 2 switches. The switches are then trunked together. The switches do generate plenty of heat. To dissipate the heat I added a cabinet cooler.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093145.html.

Since I am adding more cameras & need more ports, I am migrating to a single switch that has the port density I need.. a Cisco WS-C2960S-24PS-L