Mad Professor

Questions Regarding - Hikvision Motion Detection

Good day all.

As per the topic title I have a few questions regarding Hikvision IP Camera's and the built in motion detection.

The camera I am working on is a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I with firmware V5.1.6 build 140412.

Via the Camera's WEB UI: Configuration > Advanced Configuration > Events > Motion Detection

I am greeted with a page with the following Tick Boxes.

*Enable Motion Detection

*Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion

Normal Linkage

*Notify Surveillance Center

*Send Email

*Upload to FTP

*Trigger Channel

Other Linkage

*Trigger Alarm Output

Can someone please tell me if the camera it's self is doing the Motion Detection processing or if the above settings are just to enable external hardware / software to aid the motion detection processing.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

The camera itself does motion and the NVR needs to be compatible to take those signals.

To setup motion that records on a DVR on hikvision you need to Enable Motion Detection. Draw the grid on the screen. Enable Notify Surveillance Center and Trigger Channel.

Thank you for your response, and confirming that the camera does indeed do all the processing within it's self.

Can anyone please advice me where I can find more details and or documentation on how the motion detection signal / data are sent.

I do not have a dedicated (branded) NVR. What I do currently have is a dedicated linux pc running Zoneminder 1.27, and I would ideally like to use this if possible.

Thanks again for your time.

Best Regards.

If you are using a Hikvision camera with a Hikvision Hardware NVR, then the camera's motion detection is not being used at all.

The motion detection is performed 100% in the NVR.

If you are using other types of NVRs then the camera motion may be used and messages sent to the NVR to record the data. It all depends on the NVR.

I use Milestone with Hikvision and it leverages the in-camera motion detection options. Zoneminder does not and has it's own motion detection which makes it less efficient, uses more CPU to do that. If you want to try something else, the free Hikvision iVMS4200 PCNVR software uses the camera's motion detection or the free Milestone XProtect Go (limited to 8 cameras, 5 days recording).

If you are using a Hikvision camera with a Hikvision Hardware NVR, then the camera's motion detection is not being used at all.

Now I'm really confused.

Cameras do everything. They are basically ARM linux boxes. Your NVR just acts as a NAS box with a fancy client GUI. There's no reason to measure processing load which is why NVR's are just measured in how much data can be processed from the cameras i.e. 8 channel box that can do 1080p@30fps up to 50Mbps total. CPU power is pretty meaninless.

The NVR is just a GUI to display the live view client and to show the camera settings. Enabling/disabling motion detection on NVR just turns it on/off on the camera. NVR does nothing.

Email, NTP, or any network service is forwarded/diverted to the NVR because the devices are behind a non-public facing network when connected to an NVR appliance. That is a security feature.

It all depends on the NVR being used.

The Hikvision cameras can do the motion detection, and so can the Hikvision NVR.

If you want to, you can make them both do it, the data would be stored in two different places.

You could direct the camera detected motion detection video to a NAS or onboard SD card if equipped for that model.

The Hikvision hardware NVR I use, the cameras just pass video to the NVR and that is it, no smarts in the camera are being used, apart from when to turn on the IR LEDs and go into night mode.

The Hikvision software NVR running the PC works differently, as the motion detection is used in the camera, as buellwinkle described. The cameras send messages to the iVMS software application.

Where it helps that the Hikvision hardware NVR is using the cameras just for video is in the event of a camera disconnection, the NVR can detect that and will record the video before it is disconnected, and you can also use that same event to tell other cameras to record also, you can set them to record 15 seconds (for example) before the event occurs. I like these features.

Now I'm really confused.

Cameras do everything. They are basically ARM linux boxes. Your NVR just acts as a NAS box with a fancy client GUI. There's no reason to measure processing load which is why NVR's are just measured in how much data can be processed from the cameras i.e. 8 channel box that can do 1080p@30fps up to 50Mbps total. CPU power is pretty meaninless.

The NVR is just a GUI to display the live view client and to show the camera settings. Enabling/disabling motion detection on NVR just turns it on/off on the camera. NVR does nothing.

Email, NTP, or any network service is forwarded/diverted to the NVR because the devices are behind a non-public facing network when connected to an NVR appliance. That is a security feature.

Well I do not blame you catseyenu!!! This is the reason I was enquiring how to know and display constantly on the screen the CPU load of the camera AND the camera. All explanantions given by fellow members make sense under certain cases. Only if we know the camera and NVR CPU loads, we will be able to understand who is doing what and when.