thedipstick

Need help setting up Speco IP Poe cams on SWANN NVR

I have a Swann NVR8-7085. It came with 4 bullets and I have everything installed and working perfectly. I wanted to add 4 domes to the system but Swann only has PTZ domes, but since its for my house and a fixed dome is all I needed I opted out due to the cost. The tech on the phone with Swann told me any POE IP camera would work. So I ordered 2 Speco O2DP9 and two Speco ZIP2D's which are POE IP cameras. I was able to get them all set up on my PC with IP addresses, ping them and view them but they will not show up on the DVR. I called Swann's tech support and after a hour on the phone they said they couldn't help me. SO my question how do I get these to work, Im sure its just some setting. I tried setting the camera IP and port number in the NVR settings with no luck, restarts etc. I am figuring that I need to set the Speco camera to pretend its a SWANN camera? Options I have; IP subnet, gateway, dns1, dns2, mac address, web port and rtsp port options with the SPECO software. I'm just not familiar with this stuff enough to figure it out. Installing it all and wiring it was a cinch but I'm stumped. I figure it has to be doable since I can see them and ping them.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Swann NVR8-7085. It came with 4 bullets and I have everything installed and working perfectly. I wanted to add 4 domes to the system but Swann only has PTZ domes, but since its for my house and a fixed dome is all I needed I opted out due to the cost. The tech on the phone with Swann told me any POE IP camera would work. So I ordered 2 Speco O2DP9 and two Speco ZIP2D's which are POE IP cameras. I was able to get them all set up on my PC with IP addresses, ping them and view them but they will not show up on the DVR. I called Swann's tech support and after a hour on the phone they said they couldn't help me. SO my question how do I get these to work, Im sure its just some setting. I tried setting the camera IP and port number in the NVR settings with no luck, restarts etc. I am figuring that I need to set the Speco camera to pretend its a SWANN camera? Options I have; IP subnet, gateway, dns1, dns2, mac address, web port and rtsp port options with the SPECO software. I'm just not familiar with this stuff enough to figure it out. Installing it all and wiring it was a cinch but I'm stumped. I figure it has to be doable since I can see them and ping them.

Thanks in advance.

This may not work. The NVR does not indicate in the specs whether its onvif compatible. First thing to try is lower the resolution on the cameras to 720p as the cams are 1080 max while the NVR is 720.

I dont know where you hot the idea that swann does not make dome cameras that are not ptz, they in fact do..both a regular dome and a varifocal dome.

This may not work. The NVR does not indicate in the specs whether its onvif compatible. First thing to try is lower the resolution on the cameras to 720p as the cams are 1080 max while the NVR is 720.

I dont know where you hot the idea that swann does not make dome cameras that are not ptz, they in fact do..both a regular dome and a varifocal dome.

I called SWANN and asked them if they offered one and they said no fixed only a PTZ cam. I asked a level 2 tech if he could give me the info on the cameras so I could program the SPECO's to the same spec and he said "no".

If I understand right NVR's are just a router. Shouldn't I be able to set the port on these cams to match and set to DHCP and they fire up? Or is there more to this? I googled ONVIF since I hadn't heard of it, should it matter if I can set the cams to SWANN's?

I called SWANN and asked them if they offered one and they said no fixed only a PTZ cam. I asked a level 2 tech if he could give me the info on the cameras so I could program the SPECO's to the same spec and he said "no".

If I understand right NVR's are just a router. Shouldn't I be able to set the port on these cams to match and set to DHCP and they fire up? Or is there more to this? I googled ONVIF since I hadn't heard of it, should it matter if I can set the cams to SWANN's?

Whoever you spoke to at swann gave you incorrect info. There are 2 swann domes. A standard dome and varifocal.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3807593197513125569?q=swann+821&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&biw=1536&bih=814&dpr=1.25&ei=RXrvU-CVGdO-sQTW84LoDw&ved=0CHkQpiswAQ

http://www.costco.com/Swann-HD-3MP-IP-Vari-Focal-Add-on-Dome-Camera.product.100089445.html

The Costco version is the better value as the standard dome is overpriced.

The NVR is not just a router. You can try messing with it, but I doubt it will work. You can try matching the standard ports and see if it works. Remember to lower the resolution on the cameras to 1080p. Even on cameras that work with NVR's from other manufactures there are often issues with motion detection not working right.

Whoever you spoke to at swann gave you incorrect info. There are 2 swann domes. A standard dome and varifocal.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3807593197513125569?q=swann+821&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&biw=1536&bih=814&dpr=1.25&ei=RXrvU-CVGdO-sQTW84LoDw&ved=0CHkQpiswAQ

http://www.costco.com/Swann-HD-3MP-IP-Vari-Focal-Add-on-Dome-Camera.product.100089445.html

The Costco version is the better value as the standard dome is overpriced.

The NVR is not just a router. You can try messing with it, but I doubt it will work. You can try matching the standard ports and see if it works. Remember to lower the resolution on the cameras to 1080p. Even on cameras that work with NVR's from other manufactures there are often issues with motion detection not working right.

SWANN says there 1080p cams wont work with my NVR8-7085 because its 720p? I will reduce the SPECO's to 720p and see if that will work.

Are there any other camera manufactures that will work with the SWANN?

Thanks for the help!

Hi guys,

The 720p Swann NVRs will only take the 720p Swann NVR IP cameras.

There isn't a dome in that range as it is marketed as the mid-range option.

The only way you will be able to use a dome is to get the 1080/3MP Swann NVR. The bigger Swann NVRs do work with ONVIF (sort of). In fact, that is the only way you can use the 720p Swann cameras on the 1080p NVR.

Hi guys,

The 720p Swann NVRs will only take the 720p Swann NVR IP cameras.

There isn't a dome in that range as it is marketed as the mid-range option.

The only way you will be able to use a dome is to get the 1080/3MP Swann NVR. The bigger Swann NVRs do work with ONVIF (sort of). In fact, that is the only way you can use the 720p Swann cameras on the 1080p NVR.

So there is no way to get other IP Poe cams to work on this DVR? Can you just give me the settings for the swann cams so I can try. I have a lot of money sitting here and would never have purchased the swann system if I wasn't told by a swann tech it would work. I replied to your PM with the ticket #.

Just in case anyone was wondering or finds this;

SWANN will not give out the settings on the cameras because "they are not the manufacture and do not have that information".

They don't care to make a customer happy either. I have complained to 3 employees that I was miss led information that persuaded my purchase. Now seeing it is passed the 30 day return policy I can't return the camera system or the SPECO cams. So I have $1600 in a system that I can only partly use. I will just go with a SPECO NVR and bullets instead and take the SWANN system to the range and see how it holds up to that. SPECO is a much better manufacture anyway. We have the intensifier series at the office and they are amazing!

Most big companies don't care about customer service AFTER they make the sale its very sad.

Will you keep the swann system if you can just get some fixed domes that will work with it?

Most big companies don't care about customer service AFTER they make the sale its very sad.

Will you keep the swann system if you can just get some fixed domes that will work with it?

It is sad

Well after all my googling and many request to SWANN I don't think there is a option. SWANN only has PTZ domes for like $1200 each that will for sure work with this NVR. The SPECO cams which are much better quality and 1080p are $200 each so I think SPECO will be what I am going to use. They have good quality NVR's and much better camera options. Plus I was told by SWANN that "The NVR that you have uses a proprietary connection that is not compatible with any other known cameras." So I'm SOL.

It is sad

Well after all my googling and many request to SWANN I don't think there is a option. SWANN only has PTZ domes for like $1200 each that will for sure work with this NVR. The SPECO cams which are much better quality and 1080p are $200 each so I think SPECO will be what I am going to use. They have good quality NVR's and much better camera options. Plus I was told by SWANN that "The NVR that you have uses a proprietary connection that is not compatible with any other known cameras." So I'm SOL.

Erk, no. This is incorrect as well. Did the newbies tell you this too?

The *only* cameras that are supported for use with the 7085 NVR are the NHD-805 and NHD-806. Absolutely no domes in our HD range are supported as they are all 1080p cameras and not compatible (or SDI).

It is sad

Erk, no. This is incorrect as well. Did the newbies tell you this too?

The *only* cameras that are supported for use with the 7085 NVR are the NHD-805 and NHD-806. Absolutely no domes in our HD range are supported as they are all 1080p cameras and not compatible (or SDI).

Ah so I was misinformed twice by your company, once that I could use any IP Poe cam and that SWANN had a PTZ dome that would work with this system. JUNK!

I don't think you will regret this decision. We've used Speco for a while now we find them to be the best we've ever worked with for the price. We carry TruViusion as well for customers who simply wont spend good money and we've found the TruVision are the same as Swann for compatibility with other systems. TruVisiuon cameras shut down my Speco DVRs they are so incompatible.

Keep an eye on your resolutions, Speco is right there with the latest stuff so often a newer camera will be too high a resolution to work with last years DVRs and NVRs. We ran into that with their 4MP IP cameras and what we thoght was the newest NVR. We actually needed one our supplier hadn't stocked yet so now we are working to fix the problem. Their 4MP camreas wont record on a 1080p NVR without downgrading their resolution. Sucks but is real.