Sign in to follow this  
shawn3090

Confused about Synology Surveillance Station

I am planning a ~20 camera CCTV system using ACTi cameras and I am trying to figure out what I should use for my NVR. I have decided not to use a software NVR that requires a constantly running PC to operate, as that would involve extra work maintaining the PC. At this point, I am looking at buying 2 x ACTi ENR-140 and calling it a day, but their activex-only interface kind of scares me.

So now I have come across Synology Surveillance Station. I have researched it for about 2 days and still have some questions that I could not find answers to:

• 1. How does SSS fundamentally work? Is the recording done by a host computer and written to the NAS, or is it software that installs onto the NAS itself?

2. Does a remote computer need any remote software installed in order to use SSS, including ActiveX stuff?

3. Is a PC required at all times for SSS to operate, or does it run independently on the NAS?

4. How do software upgrades work? Do you have to pay a yearly upgrade fee or something? Do you have to purchase new licenses per camera when you upgrade?

5. How compatible is SSS with ACTi cameras. Specifically, I am concerned about motion detection.

Some answers:

1. Recording is performed by the SS application on the NAS. SS is an application that you download and install on the NAS

2. Yes, you will need to install a plugin. The plugin downloads via SS when you first use it.

3. SS runs on the NAS, so doesn't need a PC to work. However, you need your PC to be able to log into SS for configuration and viewing recordings/timeline

4. Upgrades are free. SS comes with two camera licences. Additional licences need to be purchased

5. No idea, sorry. However there is a compatibility chart you can check on Synology's website. I'm sure you could find it easily via Google.

Some answers:

1. Recording is performed by the SS application on the NAS. SS is an application that you download and install on the NAS

2. Yes, you will need to install a plugin. The plugin downloads via SS when you first use it.

3. SS runs on the NAS, so doesn't need a PC to work. However, you need your PC to be able to log into SS for configuration and viewing recordings/timeline

4. Upgrades are free. SS comes with two camera licences. Additional licences need to be purchased

5. No idea, sorry. However there is a compatibility chart you can check on Synology's website. I'm sure you could find it easily via Google.

Thanks. This sounds exactly like what I need.

One more question though: Does anyone have any experience with qnap versus synology? My local dealer only carries qnap, so I would need to purchase synology products from somewhere else.

understand that you will not be able to use the cheaper synology boxes, as they usually have a 5 camera limit....their way more expensive units allow more...there is a limit to fps it can do depending on the megapixel settings...for example the DS713+ that can handle 25 cameras can only do a total of 150fps at 3mp....that means even if you only run 20 cameras at 3mp your max frame rate will be about 7.5 per camera...they have other more expensive solutions that allow more... by the end of the day you are dropping at least 1500 up to 3000 between the licenses and the nas units...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare_products/DS3612xs/DS713+/DS414/DS214+/DS114

Just be aware, SS has its faults. It is not a particularly well developed application, imo. If you are buying a solution from scratch and it is purely for IP camera usage then it would not be my first recommendation. And for 20 cameras, there's no way I'd go for Synology, QNAP or any other of these types of NAS application solutions.

Just be aware, SS has its faults. It is not a particularly well developed application, imo. If you are buying a solution from scratch and it is purely for IP camera usage then it would not be my first recommendation. And for 20 cameras, there's no way I'd go for Synology, QNAP or any other of these types of NAS application solutions.

OK I guess this was my original source of confusion, as I was unsure how a simple NAS was supposed to handle everything. So what do you recommend for recording video? I would rather not use a full-blown PC, and my dealer is willing to sell to me at his cost.

Yes you can save directly to a NAS. That is how I am doing it today...

Pros: Doesn't require a dedicated computer/server

Cons: Requires knowledge of NFS (network file system) configuration on cameras to connect to NFS share on NAS and can be a pain to initialize (format) the hard drive the first few times.

Unable to view multiple cameras at once. If you want to monitor a camera you have to log into each individual camera and view the playback from each camera.

My Setup:

I personally have a server and a NAS. Hikivision cameras can backup to like 6 different resources effectively on a Gigabit network. I use the Server/workstation to view multiple camera feeds and the NAS is a backup in case someone were to steal my viewing station or if the drive dies on my viewing station. (both my systems use raid and western digital red drives, so I am not really concerned with it bringing down the raid array).

I started just like you, and for 2 camera's its not too bad... You get more than that and it becomes a nightmare.

good luck!

So what do you recommend for recording video? I would rather not use a full-blown PC, and my dealer is willing to sell to me at his cost.

Have a look at ACTi's own NVRs then. Compatibility should, obviously, not be an issue with ACTi cameras paired with an ACTi NVR.

What is the driving reason why you're looking at Synology? Is it because you want a "turn-key" solution that includes the hardware and software pre-configured to run out of the box (minus the setup of your cameras)? If so, I wouldn't go with Synology - they are not a surveillance or IP camera company. But they do make excellent NAS devices. To get a true turn-key solution, look at Avigilon, Axis, etc. They make both the hardware (server/storage and cameras) plus the VMS. Otherwise, you're in the right place to research how to put together a good system on your own!

So, pick the cameras that work best for you. Then a compatible VMS system that meets your needs; the hardware to run it will be dictated by the VMS system requirements. And if you want to use a NAS for storage, Synology makes a good one

What is the driving reason why you're looking at Synology? Is it because you want a "turn-key" solution that includes the hardware and software pre-configured to run out of the box (minus the setup of your cameras)? If so, I wouldn't go with Synology - they are not a surveillance or IP camera company. But they do make excellent NAS devices. To get a true turn-key solution, look at Avigilon, Axis, etc. They make both the hardware (server/storage and cameras) plus the VMS. Otherwise, you're in the right place to research how to put together a good system on your own!

So, pick the cameras that work best for you. Then a compatible VMS system that meets your needs; the hardware to run it will be dictated by the VMS system requirements. And if you want to use a NAS for storage, Synology makes a good one

Sorry to bump a really old thread, a "civilian" can actually buy the Synology NVR product.

You cannot buy the products you mentioned unless you go through a dealer and pay a lot of $$$