Sign in to follow this  
ashanta

2 new additional cameras faulty

I have just added 2 new Swann Pro-642 cameras to the 4 I already have which was part of a Swann 960H DVR Kit. The pictures from these new cameras is very poor with bold black bars going across the screen horizontally. I bought the 2 additional cameras from Amazon.co.uk and the kit I bought from Maplins.

I would attach an image of the screen shot showing the problem but I am afraid I do not know how to attach the image to this post. I have tried to go through the OSD settings but nothing appears to effect the problem. I have reset to factory setting but the problem still remains. I have attached a screen print of the cameras showing the 2 faulty and the 4 good one's.

I anyone could help me with this problem I would appreciate it.

983072501_CCTVFault1.png.be1d97ae6e770ff146f6b855e72dc38e.png

Did you connect the cameras to a TV prior to installing?

Can you do that now (remove camera and connect directly to a TV)?

Also is there a PAL / NTSC setting in the camera OSD?

Read the troubleshooting suggestions in the instruction manual which came with the cameras?

Did you connect the cameras to a TV prior to installing?

Can you do that now (remove camera and connect directly to a TV)?

Also is there a PAL / NTSC setting in the camera OSD?

Read the troubleshooting suggestions in the instruction manual which came with the cameras?

Thanks for your reply.

I have had the cameras in the room with pc and tv screen. I did this as it's easier to look at the screen when toggling the OSD. There is no PAL / NTSC setting in the OSD but there is for the DVR and this has been set to PAL for UK.

There is no troubleshooting page in the Pro-642 booklet that accompanies the cameras and there is no troubleshooting page in the Pro-442 advanced features manual that I had to download from Swann. I have tried to contact Swann as they are supposed to provide a 24/7 technical support. However, the online chat is closed and the direct line for tech support is conveniently out of service (bank holiday) They do refer you to an alternative number but that has been constantly engaged.

Well that eliminates settings on the camera, problems with wiring.

One more thing to try is to use the power supply from another camera and also connect to that camera's connection to the DVR.

(Could be bad power supply or bad connection(s) on DVR.)

Basically connect good working camera. Then connect the new camera to the same power and connection. If bad, then a bad camera.

(Also you can move a known good working camera to the new wiring/camera location - connections. See it if works OK there.)

Well that eliminates settings on the camera, problems with wiring.

One more thing to try is to use the power supply from another camera and also connect to that camera's connection to the DVR.

(Could be bad power supply or bad connection(s) on DVR.)

Basically connect good working camera. Then connect the new camera to the same power and connection. If bad, then a bad camera.

(Also you can move a known good working camera to the new wiring/camera location - connections. See it if works OK there.)

I have already swopped over power supply with a camera that is working well before I posted the problem. The problem camera(s) were still not working on the known good power supply. There are 2 cameras (as in the screen print) that do not work properly. They were bought separately, as a 2 pack. The other 4 cameras are part of a kit from Maplins. I have just tried having a dedicated power supply to one of the affected cameras but there is no change.

Hi looks like your cameras are not PAL

Can you check with seller

Hi, That's what I had been thinking! I bought them off Amazon.co.uk and expected them to be PAL so I have gone on to my account in Amazon.co.uk and I have checked the description: SWANN SWPRO-642PK2-US PRO-642 Multi-Purpose Day/Night Security Camera (2 Pack)

There I notice 'US' which could mean they are a USA standard? There is no indication on the box and the wording is in English and Spanish. The Box states: Resolution NTSC: 976 x 494, PAL: 976 x 582 This suggests that the cameras can operate with either standard but how am I able to change from one to the other? I have checked my set up in the dvr and that is set to PAL but i cannot see if there a way to do this by individual camera?

As a test, I set the DVR to NTSC and I had the 2 problem cameras working normally. This now confirms the 2 cameras are operating on NTSC not PAL. I have now reset the DVR back so the original 4 cameras are back operating normally on PAL standard.

The question now is can I get these 2 cameras to operate on PAL. As mentioned, the specs on the box state:

Resolution: NTSC: 976x494, PAL: 976x582

Does this mean that the standard is interchangeable?

As a test, I set the DVR to NTSC and I had the 2 problem cameras working normally. This now confirms the 2 cameras are operating on NTSC not PAL. I have now reset the DVR back so the original 4 cameras are back operating normally on PAL standard.

The question now is can I get these 2 cameras to operate on PAL. As mentioned, the specs on the box state:

They are not interchangeable. The sensor inside the camera is either PAL or NTSC. Contact the supplier to send them back for a replacement.

I also do find it quite strange that you would get NTSC cameras from Amazon.co.uk...

They are not interchangeable. The sensor inside the camera is either PAL or NTSC. Contact the supplier to send them back for a replacement.

I also do find it quite strange that you would get NTSC cameras from Amazon.co.uk...

That's right! I purchase a lot from Amazon.co.uk. I checked the seller's details and it seems they are a USA company. I wondered why there appeared to be a delay in receiving my order.They call themselves 1st League EU. There was no indication they were from the USA. I have been in contact with them and they said that the box states both NTCS and PAL which it does but as I have found out, I can only have one or the other, not both. Amazon.co.uk are arbitrators so I dont think there will be a problem. Many thanks for the help from you guys.

254275_1.jpg

Find these in maplins or eBay check cost out between sending cameras back or re ship costs as can pic these up for around £19

Thanks tomcctv

I have been offered the converter by the supplier as a means of getting around the problem. How do they connect to the problem cameras? I see the connections are plug in type (your picture) and my cameras have (as I am sure know) the plug and socket power cable and bayonet type coax connector. Could you advise as how I would set the two cameras to work with the 4 PAL cameras through my DVR?

Thanks mgb

I will wait and see what comes of my discussion with this company. If I am honest, I do not want to add more equipment to the set up I have. I would prefer them to refund or replace with PAL standard cameras. I have Amazon involved now as they are trading as EU company on the website but they are in fact trading directly from the USA which I have only found out due to problem being raised.

At least I know I have a solution should I have to keep them and I appreciate you help.

I agree.

Sounds like you're going the best route and with a backup plan should you need it.

Hope all works out well

I agree.

Sounds like you're going the best route and with a backup plan should you need it.

Hope all works out well

Thanks

Thanks mgb

I will wait and see what comes of my discussion with this company. If I am honest, I do not want to add more equipment to the set up I have. I would prefer them to refund or replace with PAL standard cameras. I have Amazon involved now as they are trading as EU company on the website but they are in fact trading directly from the USA which I have only found out due to problem being raised.

At least I know I have a solution should I have to keep them and I appreciate you help.

I would return them for a refund. Not nice to have to add a NTSC to PAL adapter in there (which also needs to be powered), plus BNC to RCA adapters.

It is easy to assume that a US CCTV company will be carrying NTSC products. I wonder why they would be selling to countries that they use the PAL standard...