brucelan

IR Reflection

I am new to security cameras and to these forums.

I recently purchased a dome camera (HIKVision DS-2CD2732F) for the front exterior of my house. It seems to work great during the day but when the IR comes on at night, it causes much of the image to be fogged. I talked to a more experienced friend and he said "that is a problem on all dome cameras, there is no fix for that, you will need an external illuminator". My question is why does my camera come with IR illuminators if they are so problematic?

I don't really want another device on the front of my house - any ideas for solving this issue would be appreciated.

thanks,

bruce

It shouldn't be an inherent problem with all domes.

All the domes with ir that I have used, have a boot around the lens that pushes up against the inside of the dome so that it separates it from the ir to eliminate the reflection.

A good example of this is also seen on the ball cameras where the lens is separated from the ir.

I've had limited success against IR bounceback even with cameras with the gasket sealing between the center camera lense and the LED IR ring. I suspect the culprit is that the IR output bounces off of the *outside* front window surface and back into the camera's lense.

What *has* worked for me are cameras where the front windows are physically two concentric rings of glass, the center round disk for the camera lense, and the ring for the IR LED's. The other configuration that works is the Hikvision set up like on their DS-2CD2332 where the IR illuminator is completely separate from the camera window.

The 2732 is pretty good at not having a reflection issue. First, make sure the dome is clean, both inside and out. I have seen posts with this exact problem and cleaning the dome from fingerprint smudges cleared it right up. Another thing to look out for is if there is a white overhang or soffit above the camera the ir could be reflecting off it, adjust the angle of the lens to compensate or move the camera. Post a photo of how its mounted so we can see better.