Sign in to follow this  
gh0stid

desesperate, need help building a decent CCTV DVR

Hi everyone !

first of all, sorry to annoye you with "probably" such an easy question for veteran like you !

Still .. ive searched all over the web and I couldnt really figure out a solution to my problem ... so , im turning toward your help

Resume ;

bought a Swann DVR with 1PTZ and 3 bullet camera bundle for monitoring my cabin out in the wood ( 1hr 45min away from home ) dark as hell at night AND mosquito spiders, squirrel and many other kind of animal lurking around the place !

Unfortunately .. Altough image quality is suffisent from that setup, the Motion detection is not.. we get many ( by many I mean hundred by day .. ) of false positive email notification ( you can guess.. ive disabled it by now .. )

Cloud,

Shadow,

Signal noise at night,

Squirrel,

Birds,

Squirrel and even mosquito is enought to trigger an alert..

( SWANN system use PIXEL detection and theres no way to set it to lets say .. trigger only if 5 or more block have changed.. tried many sensivity setting .. and running it 24hours is no good for us. we NEED to be notified if something is wrong at our cabin, we have machinery cars and valuable object IN the cabin itself ...)

Anyway ! im looking for an alternative to my problem but using the same camera... I dont mind building a computer and use a software like SightHound for Person detection ( as long it is viable .. its already ~600$ down the drain so far with the SWANN DVR system .. )

Any input would be apreciated.. and I hope I have been "clear" enought in my needs and current tryout.

thank you again for future input!

Not sure if your system has alarm input ports but one option is to wire in pir motion sensors to enable recording rather than relying on the camera motion detection.

Sorry if I missed it in your post but is this actually a dvr with analog cameras or an nvr with ip cameras?

Not sure if your system has alarm input ports but one option is to wire in pir motion sensors to enable recording rather than relying on the camera motion detection.

Sorry if I missed it in your post but is this actually a dvr with analog cameras or an nvr with ip cameras?

you didnt miss nothing my dear friend ! Ive forgot to make it clear.

Swann DVR using CCTV bullet Cam " bnc connector and powercord "

i was heading to make em IP . . but i need a converter for each of them for that AND.. it would cost around 200-300 each ... I tought it would be less expensive using a DIY DVR with a good monitoring software.

And for the Alarm Input port. im not SURE to understand what it involve

http://www.costco.ca/Swann-%E2%80%93-Enregistreur-vid%C3%A9o-num%C3%A9rique-H.264-%C3%A0-r%C3%A9solution-int%C3%A9grale-D1et-%C3%A0-8-canaux-avec-3-cam%C3%A9ras-CCD-et-1-cam%C3%A9ra-%C3%A0-dispositif-VPIZ-.product.100018742.html?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&productId=108002&partNumber=100018742&langId=-24

it is the system ...

http://www.swann.com/us/swdvk-d21c22

unfortunately .. doesnt apear to have PIR alarm connector...

Thank you for the reply !

Yeah, sorry.

Some DVRs have alarm inputs that can be used to trigger recording but your dvr doesn't appear to have them.

thank you for trying.

waiting for further input from others member and thanks again everyone who will contribute.

I'd say the best solution is getter a dvr that better suits your needs

One other possible solution may be to use an old pc with a dvr capture card, use BNC splitters so your cameras will go to both the dvr and the PC.

Use the dvr for recording and the PC for better motion triggering.

I'd say the best solution is getter a dvr that better suits your needs

One other possible solution may be to use an old pc with a dvr capture card, use BNC splitters so your cameras will go to both the dvr and the PC.

Use the dvr for recording and the PC for better motion triggering.

any sugestion of a better dvr ? im open to it !

the splitter idea is not a bad idea too ..

i was actually trying to figure out if I could find my self a USB CCTV capture adapter ( 4ch ) to connect on a laptop eating dust.. AND use ~250$ sighthound software for TRIGGERS.

and yes, I was planing to record 24x7 on the DVR.

any input about it?