wxman

Best Module for Weather Observation

Trying to get a PTZ system set up. The purpose is not for security, but for profession-grade weather monitoring (to monitor cloud cover, cloud type and structure, precipitation type, etc.)...I've got a good pan/tilt housing to meet the needs, but I'm trying to determine what type of sensor/zoom module to include.

I've noticed a lot of standard grade "backyard" weather stations use Foscam. The picture looks decent, in my opinion, but they lack the strong zoom. Would like to have something like a 36x optical zoom.

Seems from other reviews (at least from a security camera standpoint) that Sony chipsets are the most recommended? It also seems to be a popular opinion that a lower resolution analog CCD (something like 700tvl Effio-P) gets recommended over a digital, higher resolution (such as 720p or 1080p Exmor).

I would imagine that WDR will be very important for this application as you'd want a good look at cloud structure next to a blue sky and horizon tree tops. Wouldn't want to have the blue sky look a solid, blown out white/gray to where they couldn't observe cloud structure, and preferably not have to adjust the exposure to where horizon tree tops look black.

What would you think is best for this particular application? Higher resolution Exmor CMOS or a lower resolution Effio CCD? Or perhaps another option?