Sign in to follow this  
redalert

Can't connect camera to poe port on nvr. Help!

Hi guys,

I have 4 IP cameras currently connected to a 4 port poe switch, which is connected to my router. My 8 port nvr sees the 4 cameras and runs fine, through the switch. I recently bought 1 more camera and wanted to hook it up to the nvr instead but I cannot get the nvr to recognize it. I thought it was a gateway issue so I connected 5th camera to the router itself and set the default gateway to the gateway of the switch, which of course is different than the default gateway to the router. Am I missing something? why can't I use both the switch and the nvr's poe ports?

Assuming it's not a 3rd party camera to the nvr which might need to be ONVIF compatible, try setting the camera that won't show up in the nvr poe to DHCP mode first, before you hook it up to the nvr. Then when you hook it up to the nvr poe it should adopt the switches gateway. I think it's a good idea to keep cameras in DHCP mode so no matter where you have them hooked up, they'll always adopt the default gateway they're hooked up to.

Thanks I'll try that. Another question, it might be possible that the nvr is hooked up to the switch, would that be a problem, Does the nvr and the switch have to be connected seperately to the router?

I'm not sure, but the nvr poe switch will certainly be a different default gateway and subnet than any router has. So with it's poe switch being isolated and independent, I would think you can adopt remote devices from the external switch and get video stream to channel directly from the nvr poe switch all at the same time.

Thanks shockwave199. Setting auto dhcp worked after nvr restart though I don't like the fact that I have to change my ip range in router to access the camera from a browser. But at least its working now.

Once you set dhcp in the camera , it should adopt a workable ip address when you connect it to your Lan, and than pickup the nvr ip address when you connect it to your nvr. It should just auto work wherever you connect it.

How can I access the IP camera's internal settings through a browser now? The 4 cameras on the Poe switch have the same subnet as my router whereas the 1 camera connected to the nvr itself has a different subnet.

Well, you just ran into the reason why a lot of people prefer to keep cameras on a separate switch. Putting them on an nvr with poe makes them inaccessible in the way you can do it through your separate poe switch. So, you either take the camera off of the nvr poe and temporarily connect it to your LAN for adjustments, or you can try this way, which I demonstrate in the following video. But in order to use the camera like your other ones, you'll have to put it on a separate switch. Could be time to buy another switch to accommodate more cameras.

qMP09EeA3r4

Can't read that forum but I do remember hearing something about hik nvr's adding the feature to do what I demo'd in a dahua nvr. I haven't seen an example of it in action, but that's very slick indeed.

Can't read that forum but I do remember hearing something about hik nvr's adding the feature to do what I demo'd in a dahua nvr. I haven't seen an example of it in action, but that's very slick indeed.

Shock

very big dif between what u done and HIK

With HIK u need NOTHING

just enable virtual host and use browser web GUI to access cameras

Cool! After you're done, just make sure you go back into the Lan connection settings of your laptop and change it back to 'obtain an ip address automatically'. That way your laptop will behave normally for Lan connection again.