Sign in to follow this  
GV00

Suggestions for small residential deployment.

I've been poking around trying to figure out what options are optimal for my needs for a while, but with little hands-on experience it's hard to get a good idea of the practical viability of a lot of offerings. I'm hoping more experienced parties here can make up for my lack and offer some suggestions on what may be good and what to avoid.

Ideally, I'm looking for interior coverage on my garage by 1-2 cameras (One camera with ~100 degree coverage would work), a space where the longest distance is going to be somewhere on the order of 30 feet, with the bay doors being the furthest things away. NV capable of making out features reliably at this range is somewhat important, though active IR illumination is perfectly fine. The garage is not climate controlled, so while water intrusion is a non-issue, temperatures will fluctuate over the course of the year. The climate here is fairly mild, though.

I would also like 3, preferably 4 cameras for exterior mounting under the eaves of the garage & house, which will provide some protection against rain, but will still be subject to blown rain . The longest sight line required is perhaps 100 feet, with entryways being no further than 30 feet, at which point enough clarity to clearly make out features and be able to identify a person with relatively little footage. NV capability at this range would be nice, but is probably not strictly required as exterior lighting can be arranged.

2-3 interior cameras for the house are also required. Sight lines are no greater than 25 feet. NV capability beyond 15 feet or so is not needed, but nice.

POE is probably the best way to go, as I can easily put runs down. The garage and one exterior camera can be serviced by a POE switch placed in the garage, with a wireless connection to the house (which is not very far away), and another POE switch can service the house. Ability to remotely pan and tilt the exterior cameras would be nice and would make the system more flexible at future sites, but isn't strictly required.

I'm hoping to be able to deploy the entire system for around $1000, as none of the sight lines are especially long range and framerates as low as 15 FPS are just fine, but if I can manage the required switches, 2 exterior cameras, the garage coverage, and 2 interior cameras for that I will consider it a success.

Suggestions?

I would be careful with putting a POE switch in the garage, better to keep that in a climate controlled area unless you are going to buy a small box with a fan and a heater to house it. This box might be a bit of overkill, but it would do the job:

http://www.l-com.com/nema-enclosures-12x10x5-inch-120-vac-weatherproof-nema-enclosure-with-heater-and-cooling-fan

What is your budget for this setup?

Budget is ~1K. Not a lot, but given the limited ranges involved I'm hoping to get the basics covered for that, at least. It could be cut down to as little as 2 outdoor and 2 indoor cams (one being the garage, though, which would require either a ~110 degree FOV or an auto-pan function), plus two switches.

Temp range in the garage is still fairly moderate. It rarely gets over 100F, and equally rarely below 30F. An enclosure with a fan isn't going to help much, as ambient temps are going to be high when it is hot anyway. I've run other electronics in there and they handle it well enough. If I were in somewhere less moderate, I'd opt for an enclosure though. I may run a small space heater in there over the winter anyway, just to help keep project parts from slowly rusting as I did notice a few specks of red on bare metal parts after last winter.

There is no issue with putting a poe switch in the garage..i do it all the time without any problems. I certainly would not buy a 200 box to protect a 50 dollar switch for the 4 cams op wants to install....